Edema in legs

krisgabes

Hey there everyone,

I'm on my 2nd week on IV's, Cipro and Merrem. After the first week my calves and ankles began swelling like crazy. The more I'm on them the worse it gets, but they still swell even on a day where I try to stay more stationary at work. Unfortunately, my job involves home visits almost every day, and paperwork that also involves me running around the office like crazy.

When I got home from work today, my legs were swollen, the backs of my legs are painful. I've been limping around the house all night. Does anyone else experience edema while on IV's? I've made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow to hopefully clear this up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

krisgabes

Hey there everyone,

I'm on my 2nd week on IV's, Cipro and Merrem. After the first week my calves and ankles began swelling like crazy. The more I'm on them the worse it gets, but they still swell even on a day where I try to stay more stationary at work. Unfortunately, my job involves home visits almost every day, and paperwork that also involves me running around the office like crazy.

When I got home from work today, my legs were swollen, the backs of my legs are painful. I've been limping around the house all night. Does anyone else experience edema while on IV's? I've made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow to hopefully clear this up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

krisgabes

Hey there everyone,
<br />
<br />I'm on my 2nd week on IV's, Cipro and Merrem. After the first week my calves and ankles began swelling like crazy. The more I'm on them the worse it gets, but they still swell even on a day where I try to stay more stationary at work. Unfortunately, my job involves home visits almost every day, and paperwork that also involves me running around the office like crazy.
<br />
<br />When I got home from work today, my legs were swollen, the backs of my legs are painful. I've been limping around the house all night. Does anyone else experience edema while on IV's? I've made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow to hopefully clear this up.
<br />
<br />Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

mag6125

I've had swelling only with being on iv fluids for several days in the hospital. It's definitely a goof idea to have the doc check it out.

mag6125

I've had swelling only with being on iv fluids for several days in the hospital. It's definitely a goof idea to have the doc check it out.

mag6125

PepperKitty

I started having edema problems with IV antibiotics 3 years ago after my kidneys failed due to a major overdose of IV Tobra. Everytime now, no matter what the drug, my whole body swells. The worst place is in my legs & stomach. I usually gain about 10 lbs. It's obnoxious.

Always with the edema my potassium levels skyrocket. It can become dangerous for my heart. The levela have to be watched very carefully.

I also have liver disease which can cause edema, I think.

I use to love doing IV's at home, but now because of the high potassium I have to be hospitalized.

Good Luck at your doctor's appointment! Hopefully he will find the cause of your edema!

PepperKitty

I started having edema problems with IV antibiotics 3 years ago after my kidneys failed due to a major overdose of IV Tobra. Everytime now, no matter what the drug, my whole body swells. The worst place is in my legs & stomach. I usually gain about 10 lbs. It's obnoxious.

Always with the edema my potassium levels skyrocket. It can become dangerous for my heart. The levela have to be watched very carefully.

I also have liver disease which can cause edema, I think.

I use to love doing IV's at home, but now because of the high potassium I have to be hospitalized.

Good Luck at your doctor's appointment! Hopefully he will find the cause of your edema!

PepperKitty

<br />
<br />Always with the edema my potassium levels skyrocket. It can become dangerous for my heart. The levela have to be watched very carefully.
<br />
<br />I also have liver disease which can cause edema, I think.
<br />
<br />I use to love doing IV's at home, but now because of the high potassium I have to be hospitalized.
<br />
<br />Good Luck at your doctor's appointment! Hopefully he will find the cause of your edema!

krisgabes

I went to the doctor and he said that the Merrepenum is most likely the cause because of the high levels of salt. I'm also on Cipro but he said the Merrem has more salt in it than the Cipro. I have liver disease also which he said doesn't make it any better. I always tend to fill up with fluid in my abdomen and legs on IVs. He gave me a water pill to hopefully drain some of it out.

Thank you for your responses! I needed to know I wasn't the only one!

krisgabes

I went to the doctor and he said that the Merrepenum is most likely the cause because of the high levels of salt. I'm also on Cipro but he said the Merrem has more salt in it than the Cipro. I have liver disease also which he said doesn't make it any better. I always tend to fill up with fluid in my abdomen and legs on IVs. He gave me a water pill to hopefully drain some of it out.

Thank you for your responses! I needed to know I wasn't the only one!

krisgabes

<br />
<br />Thank you for your responses! I needed to know I wasn't the only one!