eFlow and Tobra

blondelawyer

My husband's doctor decided to put him on TOBI, so I sent an email asking for the formulated tobra since my husband uses the eFLow. The response is that she can't prescribe it because:

Tobramycin and EFlow has not been studied, information that has been provided has been "hearsay."
Because the Eflow is more efficient with delivery of the medication,the concern is if too much Tobramycin is delivered there is a concern for Kidney Toxicity or too little may contribute to drug resistance.
Also, It is not FDA approved

Anyone else get a response like this?

Thanks!

Lisa

blondelawyer

My husband's doctor decided to put him on TOBI, so I sent an email asking for the formulated tobra since my husband uses the eFLow. The response is that she can't prescribe it because:

Tobramycin and EFlow has not been studied, information that has been provided has been "hearsay."
Because the Eflow is more efficient with delivery of the medication,the concern is if too much Tobramycin is delivered there is a concern for Kidney Toxicity or too little may contribute to drug resistance.

Thanks!

Lisa

blondelawyer

Thanks!

Lisa

blondelawyer

Thanks!

Lisa

blondelawyer

Thanks!

Lisa

NoExcuses

ask your doctor since when in vitro clinical studies have been "hearsay".

print out the studies posted in my eFlow blog and ask him to show you where the heresay is.

that's ridiculous. don't give up on this one. your doc is way out of line....

NoExcuses

print out the studies posted in my eFlow blog and ask him to show you where the heresay is.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

lightNlife

I was told that because of the scare awhile back with the woman who was using off-label use of ceftaz and died, that there were concerns about whether that could happen with tobra (maybe that's the part that's hearsay?). My doctor was hesitant to prescribe it, and said that if I really REALLY wanted to go ahead and take the chance, he'd prescribe it. I said I take full responsibility for my choices, please prescribe it.

I'm about to finish my first month on tobra in the eFlow.

lightNlife

I was told that because of the scare awhile back with the woman who was using off-label use of ceftaz and died, that there were concerns about whether that could happen with tobra (maybe that's the part that's hearsay?). My doctor was hesitant to prescribe it, and said that if I really REALLY wanted to go ahead and take the chance, he'd prescribe it. I said I take full responsibility for my choices, please prescribe it.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

NoExcuses

I thought the scare with the woman was regarding pre-mixed colistin in the eFlow, which had nothing to do with the eFlow but rather the fact that the colistin was pre-mixed (which could have easily been done with a traditional neb as well).

The reality is that in vivo studies probably will never been done with the eFlow for meds that are already on the market, unless the CFF decides it has extra money floating around.

In vivo studies are mostly done when bringing a new drug to market (for example, aztreonam). Clinical studies are very costly and there are no manufacturers to foot the bill for a tobra (which is generic) or colistin (which is also generic) study.

So i'm not sure what your doc is waiting for, Lisa, but I really encourage you to press him on this one.

Decreased med time = greater compliance. Greater compliance = healthier lungs. Healthier lungs = longer life.

NoExcuses

I thought the scare with the woman was regarding pre-mixed colistin in the eFlow, which had nothing to do with the eFlow but rather the fact that the colistin was pre-mixed (which could have easily been done with a traditional neb as well).

The reality is that in vivo studies probably will never been done with the eFlow for meds that are already on the market, unless the CFF decides it has extra money floating around.

In vivo studies are mostly done when bringing a new drug to market (for example, aztreonam). Clinical studies are very costly and there are no manufacturers to foot the bill for a tobra (which is generic) or colistin (which is also generic) study.

So i'm not sure what your doc is waiting for, Lisa, but I really encourage you to press him on this one.

Decreased med time = greater compliance. Greater compliance = healthier lungs. Healthier lungs = longer life.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses