eflow questions

Andi2007

How do you travel with this if the piece has to stay in alcohol (specifically, plane travel)?

I thought meds had to have their own nebulizers. I take sodium chloride and pulmozyme. How do I do both of these with an eflow?

I've tried to search online, and haven't found a lot of helpful info about the eflow.

Andi2007

How do you travel with this if the piece has to stay in alcohol (specifically, plane travel)?

I thought meds had to have their own nebulizers. I take sodium chloride and pulmozyme. How do I do both of these with an eflow?

I've tried to search online, and haven't found a lot of helpful info about the eflow.

Andi2007

Andi2007

Andi2007

<br />
<br />I thought meds had to have their own nebulizers. I take sodium chloride and pulmozyme. How do I do both of these with an eflow?
<br />
<br />I've tried to search online, and haven't found a lot of helpful info about the eflow.

NYCLawGirl

For travel just get a container (like a small piece of tupperware) and close it with the alcohol inside. Alternatively, take the head out of the alcohol. It shouldn't hurt it to be out for a while. The main purpose of the alcohol is to keep the med from drying onto the head, so as long as it is in the alcohol for a while after the treatment, it's okay to remove it briefly for something like travel.

As to your second question, many docs do NOT recommend using DNase (pulmo) in the eflow. Yours might be okay with it, but make sure to get specific clearance. At any rate, you can buy new neb cups for the device through Foundation Care, I believe. Just tell them you need another to keep your meds separate.

But since one of your listed meds is HTS -- I think, sodium chloride? -- then technically I think you're good. The ban on mixing drugs is to keep the drugs from interacting or lessen the effectiveness. I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's okay to use the same cup for HTS and DNase. But you should get someone to confirm that before trusting me.

NYCLawGirl

For travel just get a container (like a small piece of tupperware) and close it with the alcohol inside. Alternatively, take the head out of the alcohol. It shouldn't hurt it to be out for a while. The main purpose of the alcohol is to keep the med from drying onto the head, so as long as it is in the alcohol for a while after the treatment, it's okay to remove it briefly for something like travel.

As to your second question, many docs do NOT recommend using DNase (pulmo) in the eflow. Yours might be okay with it, but make sure to get specific clearance. At any rate, you can buy new neb cups for the device through Foundation Care, I believe. Just tell them you need another to keep your meds separate.

But since one of your listed meds is HTS -- I think, sodium chloride? -- then technically I think you're good. The ban on mixing drugs is to keep the drugs from interacting or lessen the effectiveness. I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's okay to use the same cup for HTS and DNase. But you should get someone to confirm that before trusting me.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />As to your second question, many docs do NOT recommend using DNase (pulmo) in the eflow. Yours might be okay with it, but make sure to get specific clearance. At any rate, you can buy new neb cups for the device through Foundation Care, I believe. Just tell them you need another to keep your meds separate.
<br />
<br />But since one of your listed meds is HTS -- I think, sodium chloride? -- then technically I think you're good. The ban on mixing drugs is to keep the drugs from interacting or lessen the effectiveness. I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's okay to use the same cup for HTS and DNase. But you should get someone to confirm that before trusting me.

saveferris2009

Not sure if most don't DON'T recommend using Pulmozyme in the eFLow? Well over 1,000 prescriptions have been written for the eFlow in the US (that doesn't include eFlow use in clinical trials with aztreonam).... that's 1/3 of all CF patients in the US for those who are counting!

The same amount of studies have been done with Pulmozyme and the eFlow as have been done with Colistin and tobramycin. So if you're OK with doing an antibiotic in your eFlow, you should be OK with albuterol and pulmozyme.

But Piper is right, they'll let you on the plane with the little plastic cup with the "head" in alcohol.

saveferris2009

Not sure if most don't DON'T recommend using Pulmozyme in the eFLow? Well over 1,000 prescriptions have been written for the eFlow in the US (that doesn't include eFlow use in clinical trials with aztreonam).... that's 1/3 of all CF patients in the US for those who are counting!

The same amount of studies have been done with Pulmozyme and the eFlow as have been done with Colistin and tobramycin. So if you're OK with doing an antibiotic in your eFlow, you should be OK with albuterol and pulmozyme.

But Piper is right, they'll let you on the plane with the little plastic cup with the "head" in alcohol.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />The same amount of studies have been done with Pulmozyme and the eFlow as have been done with Colistin and tobramycin. So if you're OK with doing an antibiotic in your eFlow, you should be OK with albuterol and pulmozyme.
<br />
<br />But Piper is right, they'll let you on the plane with the little plastic cup with the "head" in alcohol.