Elastase Test

Allisa35

I just had an elastase test done. I don't know if the clinic is starting to do this now, but they wanted me to do it (and my sister also). I already knew I was pancreatic insufficient, but my test results came back as a 15. Anything over 200 is normal, 100-200 is mild to moderate PI, and anything under 100 is moderate to severe.

I was taken aback a little bit by my results. I was really thinking it would come back in the 100-200 range. I'm on Ultrase MT12 (3-4 with meals and 1-2 with snacks). I'm not exactly thin. I'm 5' 2 1/2" and weight about 131-132. I don't really know why I am bothered by the results. I guess it's just seeing that low of a number on paper.

If you guys want to share, I'm just curious what others results are for this test.

Allisa35

I just had an elastase test done. I don't know if the clinic is starting to do this now, but they wanted me to do it (and my sister also). I already knew I was pancreatic insufficient, but my test results came back as a 15. Anything over 200 is normal, 100-200 is mild to moderate PI, and anything under 100 is moderate to severe.

I was taken aback a little bit by my results. I was really thinking it would come back in the 100-200 range. I'm on Ultrase MT12 (3-4 with meals and 1-2 with snacks). I'm not exactly thin. I'm 5' 2 1/2" and weight about 131-132. I don't really know why I am bothered by the results. I guess it's just seeing that low of a number on paper.

If you guys want to share, I'm just curious what others results are for this test.

Allisa35

<br />
<br />I was taken aback a little bit by my results. I was really thinking it would come back in the 100-200 range. I'm on Ultrase MT12 (3-4 with meals and 1-2 with snacks). I'm not exactly thin. I'm 5' 2 1/2" and weight about 131-132. I don't really know why I am bothered by the results. I guess it's just seeing that low of a number on paper.
<br />
<br />If you guys want to share, I'm just curious what others results are for this test.

Fancymushroom

I think that result is fairly common in CF :-/ It is really low, but I was of the impression that most people with typical cf have almost no pancreatic function. The fact that your weight is healthy probably is a good sign that you eat properly and take your enzymes like you should be! Good for you - I know quite a few people who are underweight but forget their enzymes all the time! I mean... no offence but duh :)
In theory your enzyme pills should replace what your pancreas should be doing - in practice alot of people don't quite get the desired result. Carry on with the good work!

Fancymushroom

I think that result is fairly common in CF :-/ It is really low, but I was of the impression that most people with typical cf have almost no pancreatic function. The fact that your weight is healthy probably is a good sign that you eat properly and take your enzymes like you should be! Good for you - I know quite a few people who are underweight but forget their enzymes all the time! I mean... no offence but duh :)
In theory your enzyme pills should replace what your pancreas should be doing - in practice alot of people don't quite get the desired result. Carry on with the good work!

Fancymushroom

<br />In theory your enzyme pills should replace what your pancreas should be doing - in practice alot of people don't quite get the desired result. Carry on with the good work!