Electrolytes deficiency in cf patients

sweetninis

hello<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>my daughter(CF D508) had electrolytes test and her reports showed as follows:</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>test result normal ranges</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>____ ______ _____________</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>SODIUM 125mmol/L 136-145</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>CHLORIDE 78mmol/L 101-112</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>POTASSIUM 2.2mmol/L 3.5-5.1</strong>
<p style="text-align: left;"><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>S.BICARBONATE 42.2mmol/L 22-32</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>i am giving her K-LYTE syrup to cover potassium deficiency and little salt in her foods to cover nacl defficiency</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>if anyone has any advice please share because this whole experience is very new to me my daughter is only 6 months old.</strong>thanks

sweetninis

hello<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>my daughter(CF D508) had electrolytes test and her reports showed as follows:</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>test result normal ranges</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>____ ______ _____________</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>SODIUM 125mmol/L 136-145</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>CHLORIDE 78mmol/L 101-112</strong>
<span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>POTASSIUM 2.2mmol/L 3.5-5.1</strong>
<p style="text-align: left;"><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>S.BICARBONATE 42.2mmol/L 22-32</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>i am giving her K-LYTE syrup to cover potassium deficiency and little salt in her foods to cover nacl defficiency</strong><span style="font-size: medium; font-family: courier new,courier; color: #993366;"><strong>if anyone has any advice please share because this whole experience is very new to me my daughter is only 6 months old.</strong>thanks

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has always had salt added to his food and he actually prefers to take hits off a salt shaker during the summer months as he sweats out so much salt. With water. I'd add salt to his baby food as jarred food is very low in fat and sodium. Or we'd just grind up whatever we were having -- casseroles, pasta, stews...

He also has been on Vitamin K (Mephyton) since he was diagnosed at 1 week. Took adek vitamin drops as a baby, now he takes Source CF chewables twice a day.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has always had salt added to his food and he actually prefers to take hits off a salt shaker during the summer months as he sweats out so much salt. With water. I'd add salt to his baby food as jarred food is very low in fat and sodium. Or we'd just grind up whatever we were having -- casseroles, pasta, stews...

He also has been on Vitamin K (Mephyton) since he was diagnosed at 1 week. Took adek vitamin drops as a baby, now he takes Source CF chewables twice a day.

L

littlemisssilly

I understand that it seems like her electrolytes are a bit off but, all I can say is please speak with her doctors first and see what they recommend. Fluid / electrolyte balance in babies is a fine balance and the kidneys can be easily put under strain from ingestion of too many electroytes (eg when parents accidently miscalculate formula feeds and put too many scoops of formula in a feed making it too concentrated).

Electrolyte replacement therapy in babies really needs to be medically supervised. The drs may say those readings are common in CF babies and may just want to wait and retest before deciding on a specific treatment.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, her treating dr / team should be the ones giving you advice. Good luck.

L

littlemisssilly

I understand that it seems like her electrolytes are a bit off but, all I can say is please speak with her doctors first and see what they recommend. Fluid / electrolyte balance in babies is a fine balance and the kidneys can be easily put under strain from ingestion of too many electroytes (eg when parents accidently miscalculate formula feeds and put too many scoops of formula in a feed making it too concentrated).

Electrolyte replacement therapy in babies really needs to be medically supervised. The drs may say those readings are common in CF babies and may just want to wait and retest before deciding on a specific treatment.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, her treating dr / team should be the ones giving you advice. Good luck.

sweetninis

Thanks to all. I have been in touch with doctors about this the only reason of writing here is to know how other cf patients cope with this problem through out the world.u know just stay informed
Thanks

sweetninis

Thanks to all. I have been in touch with doctors about this the only reason of writing here is to know how other cf patients cope with this problem through out the world.u know just stay informed
Thanks

K

Kaethe108

Hi nini,

Our nutritionist is a national wide know expert for children with cf.
She advised us to add normal household Salt to the Baby Food. Evenly Divided over the day.
From month 0-12: 1 gramm each day.
Over 12 months: 2 gramms each Day.
And drinking a Lot of Fluid like water with some Fruit Juice or tea.

K

Kaethe108

Hi nini,

Our nutritionist is a national wide know expert for children with cf.
She advised us to add normal household Salt to the Baby Food. Evenly Divided over the day.
From month 0-12: 1 gramm each day.
Over 12 months: 2 gramms each Day.
And drinking a Lot of Fluid like water with some Fruit Juice or tea.