Endiscopic Sinus Surgery

AnD

The questions I would ask are:

Is he having reoccuring lung infections? Bad sinuses can trigger lung problems

Has the ent done a sinus culture? If he is "growing" something in there, there are many things that can be done before surgery- medicated sinus rinses, antibiotics, sinus nebulizers (which I loved- no tummy issues and worked great!)

Is he doing saline sinus rinses?

Is he regularly using a nasal spray?

Has he been tested for allergies? I used to have my sinuses clog up every fall (ct scan) and then be clear as a bell in the spring (also by ct scan). If he has a year 'round allergy, just treating this might help.

I agree that, based on what you've included, there are several steps to go through before sinus surgery, and that may improve his ability to breathe through his nose and improve how he feels too. Good luck!

AnD

Has the ent done a sinus culture? If he is "growing" something in there, there are many things that can be done before surgery- medicated sinus rinses, antibiotics, sinus nebulizers (which I loved- no tummy issues and worked great!)

Has he been tested for allergies? I used to have my sinuses clog up every fall (ct scan) and then be clear as a bell in the spring (also by ct scan). If he has a year 'round allergy, just treating this might help.

I agree that, based on what you've included, there are several steps to go through before sinus surgery, and that may improve his ability to breathe through his nose and improve how he feels too. Good luck!

AnD

AnD

AnD

<br />
<br />Is he having reoccuring lung infections? Bad sinuses can trigger lung problems
<br />
<br />Has the ent done a sinus culture? If he is "growing" something in there, there are many things that can be done before surgery- medicated sinus rinses, antibiotics, sinus nebulizers (which I loved- no tummy issues and worked great!)
<br />
<br />Is he doing saline sinus rinses?
<br />
<br />Is he regularly using a nasal spray?
<br />
<br />Has he been tested for allergies? I used to have my sinuses clog up every fall (ct scan) and then be clear as a bell in the spring (also by ct scan). If he has a year 'round allergy, just treating this might help.
<br />
<br />I agree that, based on what you've included, there are several steps to go through before sinus surgery, and that may improve his ability to breathe through his nose and improve how he feels too. Good luck!

mich

I had sinus surgery in Jan of 1996 and swore I would never have another one, but did have an endoscipic sinus surgery of Dec. 2008 and this time I swear I will NEVER have another.

The last surgery I had, I was in no pain after the surgery, but the packing that had to stay in my nose for 24 hours was pure hell. I had to mouth breathe and was so short of breath. I vomitted lots of blood and my blood pressure went sky high. I honestly thought I was going to die. Because I had to mouth breathe, my mouth, tongue and lips got severely dry that I couldn't talk and had to write on paper what I needed to say until the packing came out. My lips were actually stuck to my teeth.

The reason for this last surgery was because of what my sinus ct scan showed. I was having no sinus symptoms, but my ct scan showed my sinuses were opacified. I was having frequent lungs infections, requiring iv's like every few months, that's why I went ahead with the surgery.

Well, it's been almost a year and my lung infections have not got any better and my ent thinks that some scar tissue has grown which is blocking bacteria that is not able to be blown out of my nose. I refuse to have another surgery to fix this.

Also, about a week after the surgery, after I went to have a "cleaning" at the ent, I could actually feel the air in the back of my throat from being able to breathe through my nose. I didn't know that was a normal feeling, which was nice, but only lasted until March. I was disappointed it only lasted 3 months and wish it lasted longer than that.

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, but if it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. This is only my experience, everyone is different, so do what is right for your son.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Michelle
34 wcf

mich

I had sinus surgery in Jan of 1996 and swore I would never have another one, but did have an endoscipic sinus surgery of Dec. 2008 and this time I swear I will NEVER have another.

The last surgery I had, I was in no pain after the surgery, but the packing that had to stay in my nose for 24 hours was pure hell. I had to mouth breathe and was so short of breath. I vomitted lots of blood and my blood pressure went sky high. I honestly thought I was going to die. Because I had to mouth breathe, my mouth, tongue and lips got severely dry that I couldn't talk and had to write on paper what I needed to say until the packing came out. My lips were actually stuck to my teeth.

The reason for this last surgery was because of what my sinus ct scan showed. I was having no sinus symptoms, but my ct scan showed my sinuses were opacified. I was having frequent lungs infections, requiring iv's like every few months, that's why I went ahead with the surgery.

Well, it's been almost a year and my lung infections have not got any better and my ent thinks that some scar tissue has grown which is blocking bacteria that is not able to be blown out of my nose. I refuse to have another surgery to fix this.

Also, about a week after the surgery, after I went to have a "cleaning" at the ent, I could actually feel the air in the back of my throat from being able to breathe through my nose. I didn't know that was a normal feeling, which was nice, but only lasted until March. I was disappointed it only lasted 3 months and wish it lasted longer than that.

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, but if it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. This is only my experience, everyone is different, so do what is right for your son.

Michelle
34 wcf

mich

Michelle
34 wcf

mich

Michelle
34 wcf

mich

<br />
<br />The last surgery I had, I was in no pain after the surgery, but the packing that had to stay in my nose for 24 hours was pure hell. I had to mouth breathe and was so short of breath. I vomitted lots of blood and my blood pressure went sky high. I honestly thought I was going to die. Because I had to mouth breathe, my mouth, tongue and lips got severely dry that I couldn't talk and had to write on paper what I needed to say until the packing came out. My lips were actually stuck to my teeth.
<br />
<br />The reason for this last surgery was because of what my sinus ct scan showed. I was having no sinus symptoms, but my ct scan showed my sinuses were opacified. I was having frequent lungs infections, requiring iv's like every few months, that's why I went ahead with the surgery.
<br />
<br />Well, it's been almost a year and my lung infections have not got any better and my ent thinks that some scar tissue has grown which is blocking bacteria that is not able to be blown out of my nose. I refuse to have another surgery to fix this.
<br />
<br />Also, about a week after the surgery, after I went to have a "cleaning" at the ent, I could actually feel the air in the back of my throat from being able to breathe through my nose. I didn't know that was a normal feeling, which was nice, but only lasted until March. I was disappointed it only lasted 3 months and wish it lasted longer than that.
<br />
<br />My opinion, and it's only my opinion, but if it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. This is only my experience, everyone is different, so do what is right for your son.
<br />
<br />Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
<br />Michelle
<br />34 wcf
<br />

C

cfpatience

This is great getting more input...thanks so much. In answer to the last posts....No, he has not been given a sinus culture, no rinses, etc. Going from nothing to surgery is what they are doing. Also, he is not having any lung infections as a result.

I would not doubt mich, that he does not know what a normal breath is like, as the ct report said this was a long standing condition. You say you had the surgery again because of the opacification. That is why they want to do surgery on my son. My son is having no lung infections whatsoever. Itg scares me that you say it only lasted 3 months. That is one of my fears, as I have read that when they do this surgery, they cut a piece of tissue somewhere in there to open things up better but that often it grows back, requiring surgery to open up again. Thus, having the surgery can lead to having to have the surgery repeatedly. The ent himself said in 6 mo he could be filled up again, or maybe 10 years. There is no way of knowing.

All this considered....does it make sense since he is not complaining?

And the flip....am I denying him a chance to breath better? (But for how long?) The way he breaths now to him is normal and fine.

Any further comments????? I would welcome all and any.

Thanks. Mary

C

cfpatience

This is great getting more input...thanks so much. In answer to the last posts....No, he has not been given a sinus culture, no rinses, etc. Going from nothing to surgery is what they are doing. Also, he is not having any lung infections as a result.

I would not doubt mich, that he does not know what a normal breath is like, as the ct report said this was a long standing condition. You say you had the surgery again because of the opacification. That is why they want to do surgery on my son. My son is having no lung infections whatsoever. Itg scares me that you say it only lasted 3 months. That is one of my fears, as I have read that when they do this surgery, they cut a piece of tissue somewhere in there to open things up better but that often it grows back, requiring surgery to open up again. Thus, having the surgery can lead to having to have the surgery repeatedly. The ent himself said in 6 mo he could be filled up again, or maybe 10 years. There is no way of knowing.

And the flip....am I denying him a chance to breath better? (But for how long?) The way he breaths now to him is normal and fine.

Thanks. Mary

C

cfpatience

Thanks. Mary

C

cfpatience

Thanks. Mary

C

cfpatience

<br />
<br />I would not doubt mich, that he does not know what a normal breath is like, as the ct report said this was a long standing condition. You say you had the surgery again because of the opacification. That is why they want to do surgery on my son. My son is having no lung infections whatsoever. Itg scares me that you say it only lasted 3 months. That is one of my fears, as I have read that when they do this surgery, they cut a piece of tissue somewhere in there to open things up better but that often it grows back, requiring surgery to open up again. Thus, having the surgery can lead to having to have the surgery repeatedly. The ent himself said in 6 mo he could be filled up again, or maybe 10 years. There is no way of knowing.
<br />
<br />All this considered....does it make sense since he is not complaining?
<br />
<br />And the flip....am I denying him a chance to breath better? (But for how long?) The way he breaths now to him is normal and fine.
<br />
<br />Any further comments????? I would welcome all and any.
<br />
<br />Thanks. Mary

randi

Mary,

Well, I have had more than 12 sinus surgeries. They have changed throughout the years...From very painful with tons of packing to less invasive with less packing and drainage tubes for 2 weeks to clear any post surgery bacteria/infection. I had my first one when I was about 8 years old and my last one a couple years ago when I was 24. I had an amazing ENT who tried numerous things during and after surgery but all lead to eventually becoming impacted and full of polips. Sometimes it was 8 months later and sometimes it was 3 years later.

My CF doctor's rule of thumb: Only endure sinus surgery when FEV1 is affected over a period of time and oral antibiotics and 1 round of IV antibiotics doesn't clear it up. And, every time, post surgery (about 2 weeks after) my FEV1 jumps back up. After a dozen sinus surgeries, I can attest that they stink! They are horrible and nasty, BUT if that is what it takes to get the results I need than I'll endure.

MY fav ENT, the same one for the last 16 years, just retired. So, I'm in the process of preparing to find a new one. Very hard since she knew my nasal cavity, the 'markers' inside and how my body reacts to her surgeries. From them I have a jungle up there...deviated septum, all natural bone markers have been accidentally sucked up hose, scar banding..etc. From reading other posts, you can see sinus surgeries are no walk in the park...however I hear childbirth isn't either and most women do that more than once! LOL!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Randi

randi

Mary,

Well, I have had more than 12 sinus surgeries. They have changed throughout the years...From very painful with tons of packing to less invasive with less packing and drainage tubes for 2 weeks to clear any post surgery bacteria/infection. I had my first one when I was about 8 years old and my last one a couple years ago when I was 24. I had an amazing ENT who tried numerous things during and after surgery but all lead to eventually becoming impacted and full of polips. Sometimes it was 8 months later and sometimes it was 3 years later.

My CF doctor's rule of thumb: Only endure sinus surgery when FEV1 is affected over a period of time and oral antibiotics and 1 round of IV antibiotics doesn't clear it up. And, every time, post surgery (about 2 weeks after) my FEV1 jumps back up. After a dozen sinus surgeries, I can attest that they stink! They are horrible and nasty, BUT if that is what it takes to get the results I need than I'll endure.

MY fav ENT, the same one for the last 16 years, just retired. So, I'm in the process of preparing to find a new one. Very hard since she knew my nasal cavity, the 'markers' inside and how my body reacts to her surgeries. From them I have a jungle up there...deviated septum, all natural bone markers have been accidentally sucked up hose, scar banding..etc. From reading other posts, you can see sinus surgeries are no walk in the park...however I hear childbirth isn't either and most women do that more than once! LOL!

Randi

randi

Mary,

Randi

randi

Mary,

Randi

randi

Mary,
<br />
<br />Well, I have had more than 12 sinus surgeries. They have changed throughout the years...From very painful with tons of packing to less invasive with less packing and drainage tubes for 2 weeks to clear any post surgery bacteria/infection. I had my first one when I was about 8 years old and my last one a couple years ago when I was 24. I had an amazing ENT who tried numerous things during and after surgery but all lead to eventually becoming impacted and full of polips. Sometimes it was 8 months later and sometimes it was 3 years later.
<br />
<br />My CF doctor's rule of thumb: Only endure sinus surgery when FEV1 is affected over a period of time and oral antibiotics and 1 round of IV antibiotics doesn't clear it up. And, every time, post surgery (about 2 weeks after) my FEV1 jumps back up. After a dozen sinus surgeries, I can attest that they stink! They are horrible and nasty, BUT if that is what it takes to get the results I need than I'll endure.
<br />
<br />MY fav ENT, the same one for the last 16 years, just retired. So, I'm in the process of preparing to find a new one. Very hard since she knew my nasal cavity, the 'markers' inside and how my body reacts to her surgeries. From them I have a jungle up there...deviated septum, all natural bone markers have been accidentally sucked up hose, scar banding..etc. From reading other posts, you can see sinus surgeries are no walk in the park...however I hear childbirth isn't either and most women do that more than once! LOL!
<br />
<br />Let me know if you have any questions.
<br />
<br />Randi