Enterobacter Aerogenes?

briarrose

My 15-month-old has cultured something called Enterobacter Aerogenes off and on for the last several months. The clinic gives him antibiotics (Bactrim, ugh) only when he has symptoms (i.e., coughing since his baseline is no coughs), but doesn't seem to be all that concerned about this bacteria.

I was wondering if anyone else cultures this one at all or if anyone has any information on it. I haven't been able to find all that much information, but I want to know if there's something I can do to keep him from picking this one up. Is this one we should be doing extra CPT for or is our twice-a-day still enough as long as he's not showing any symptoms? (We do it twice a day for 25-minutes, but my question is, do we need to add a third one on for the month or two he'll culture this before they put him on antibiotics?)

Thank you.

Erin

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS came home from the NICU with Enterbactor Choclae (sp) and developed bronchitis -- I'm not familiar at all with what your child cultures. He was already on keflex a different antibiotic as well as IV antibiotics during his stay in the nicu. He ended up on septra and tobi, which took care of the issue. Also with his cough we were instructed to increase CPT -- we normally do it 3 times a day and increased it to 4, plus little cpt sessions if we were just holding him. The medication took care of the culture and the cough.

It could be that he wasn't on the antibiotic long enough to totally erradicate it. You may want to speak with his doctor about hitting it hard enough to get rid of it once and for all. If there aren't any symptoms and if they aren't concerned about it, then it may be an issue of just continuing on as is. DS has cultured a few odd bugs here and there that are light and never seem to return. More recently he's cultured Steno. Maltophilia