Enterobacter - need information please

JORDYSMOM

My son just cultured this bug, and I need any information I can find about the treatment. His doctor says there are three medications that he will need to take for a year to try to eradicate this bacteria. Has anyone cultured it? Has anyone who's cultured it been able to get rid of it? What meds did you take? Thanks.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Thanks Bill. How long ago did you culture this? Did you have symptoms related to it? I'm concerned as to why my son's doctor wants to put him on 3 meds for a year. It seems pretty severe. He didn't name the meds yet. He says he wants to do a repeat culture first, but it seems to me that he is taking it very serious. I'm all for treating it, but I don't want him on meds he doesn't need either. I'm just looking for as much info as I can get from people who've actually experienced this.

Stacey

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS came home from the NICU with it. Had a junky cough/bronchitis. Apparently the one he cultured Enterobacter Chochlae (sp) is common in hospitals/nicu's from improper handwashing/fecal material. While the NICU was great about handwashing and hand sanitizer, we suspect it was from the RT's -- at the time the would go from crib to crib with a common bottle of albuterol kept in a pocket of their scrubs. While they wore gloves, they'd still pick up each baby and hold them up against their chest to do CPT and nebs -- no gown. Anyway, DS was put on Tobi and Septra and they had us increase CPT to at least 4 times a day. We were told if he didn't get rid of it, they'd put him on Cipro, but because he was so little preferred not to do so because of concerns with cartilage. He DID get put on Cipro when he was 4 for pseudo, but didn't have any reactions.

briarrose

My son has cultured it for a while. (He's 2.5.) Our clinic doesn't treat without symptoms. It is a common bacteria in digestive tracts and they think he cultures it because he vomits so often.

Printer

Stacey:

Sorry to take so long sending this reply. I finished the first 14 days of 750 mg Cepro 2X/day and am now on the second 14 days. I am feeling much better.

I had surgery in May. I won't bore you with the details but my lungs filled with sailine and flushed them out. As a result my blood count went to 35,000.

I had several sputum tests in the three weeks that I was in the hospital as well as one in each June, July and August. These were "clean". In October it first appeared and was positive again in November.

When I Googled it, it appears that is a bacteria that is generally contracted in the hospital, so I'm guessing May. If this is correct, it took about 5 months for it to test positive.

Bill

JORDYSMOM

Thanks for all your input, but I just found out this information was given to me by mistake. I posted a new thread asking for information on my son's actual culture results.

Stacey