Enzyme dosages for 4 year old

NoExcuses

Dose depends on how much food is consumed as well as the degree of pancreatic insufficiency.

You can have two 4 year olds who eat the same amount, but one has a shot pancrease and one has one that is only midly affected by CF. They'll need two different doses of enzymes.

NoExcuses

Dose depends on how much food is consumed as well as the degree of pancreatic insufficiency.

You can have two 4 year olds who eat the same amount, but one has a shot pancrease and one has one that is only midly affected by CF. They'll need two different doses of enzymes.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

fkewatson

He is on 3 caps per day - one with each larger meal and none on snacks.

Problem is, we are seeing good things and bad things. His stool is normalizing and he gained a little weight in a short period of time on the enzymes. The bad part is something that probably isn't discussed here much, but my son has neuro-sensory issues related to Vitamin E deficiency. It's a very long story, but we finally got him to "sensory normalcy" recently by giving him rather high daily doses of Vitamin E. Each time we gave an increase (over a 8 month period) of Vit E his sensory issues would go haywire for 4-5 days and then there would be improvement.

After beginning the enzymes, he went haywire again and we thought it just meant that he was getting more Vitamin E due to better absorption and we dosed down the Vit E just a tad (nothing that would have made much of a difference). Well, over 2 weeks went by and he just worsened to the point where we were before we ever began Vitamin E. On Saturday I just couldn't take seeing him like that any longer and I stopped the enzymes - and within a few hours he had regained most of the progress that we had made.

We (his neurodevelopmental pediatrician and I) think there is something going on re: fatty acid oxidation/oxidative stress and that instead of better absorption of Vit E causing the neuro-sensory regression, it may have been the better absorption of fat that overwhelmed his system that even the high doses of Vitamin E couldn't protect from. It was amazing to see him recover so quickly.

Before I pulled the enzymes completely I considered just cutting back to 1/2 cap per meal, but the kid didn't have any control over his body or actions, and seeing regression like that is sad and made me worry that he wouldn't recover the progress we had made.

I'm thinking that his pancreatic insufficiency is not very severe and the amount of enzymes he needs is not as great as a severe case would need. He has never been a "failure to thrive", is taller than most his age and while very lean without a visible ounce of fat on him, he continues to gain weight. Prior to supplementation his fat soluble vitamins were in the low normal range but not below normal. So his pancreas must be working a little.

He's a tough case - but luckily he is the sweetest little cuddle bug and I love him to pieces!

Katie

fkewatson

Problem is, we are seeing good things and bad things. His stool is normalizing and he gained a little weight in a short period of time on the enzymes. The bad part is something that probably isn't discussed here much, but my son has neuro-sensory issues related to Vitamin E deficiency. It's a very long story, but we finally got him to "sensory normalcy" recently by giving him rather high daily doses of Vitamin E. Each time we gave an increase (over a 8 month period) of Vit E his sensory issues would go haywire for 4-5 days and then there would be improvement.

After beginning the enzymes, he went haywire again and we thought it just meant that he was getting more Vitamin E due to better absorption and we dosed down the Vit E just a tad (nothing that would have made much of a difference). Well, over 2 weeks went by and he just worsened to the point where we were before we ever began Vitamin E. On Saturday I just couldn't take seeing him like that any longer and I stopped the enzymes - and within a few hours he had regained most of the progress that we had made.

We (his neurodevelopmental pediatrician and I) think there is something going on re: fatty acid oxidation/oxidative stress and that instead of better absorption of Vit E causing the neuro-sensory regression, it may have been the better absorption of fat that overwhelmed his system that even the high doses of Vitamin E couldn't protect from. It was amazing to see him recover so quickly.

Before I pulled the enzymes completely I considered just cutting back to 1/2 cap per meal, but the kid didn't have any control over his body or actions, and seeing regression like that is sad and made me worry that he wouldn't recover the progress we had made.

I'm thinking that his pancreatic insufficiency is not very severe and the amount of enzymes he needs is not as great as a severe case would need. He has never been a "failure to thrive", is taller than most his age and while very lean without a visible ounce of fat on him, he continues to gain weight. Prior to supplementation his fat soluble vitamins were in the low normal range but not below normal. So his pancreas must be working a little.

He's a tough case - but luckily he is the sweetest little cuddle bug and I love him to pieces!

Katie

fkewatson

Katie

fkewatson

Katie

fkewatson

Katie

fkewatson

Katie

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, per day... Previously, I thought it was 3 per meal, which I thought was excessive. DS is the same age -- he's on 5 pancrease mt4s per meal and 1-2 per snack. His snacks consist of peanuts, tortilla chips, sunflower nuts or crackers and I usually try to get him to drink some whole milk with his snack even though he prefers water. If it's fruit snacks or pretzels, I usually don't give him any enzymes. Depends upon the fat content.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, per day... Previously, I thought it was 3 per meal, which I thought was excessive. DS is the same age -- he's on 5 pancrease mt4s per meal and 1-2 per snack. His snacks consist of peanuts, tortilla chips, sunflower nuts or crackers and I usually try to get him to drink some whole milk with his snack even though he prefers water. If it's fruit snacks or pretzels, I usually don't give him any enzymes. Depends upon the fat content.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member