Enzyme dosages for 4 year old

fkewatson

Hi - our GI doc put my son (single dF508 gene only - normal sweat test), on Ultrase MT 20 capsules due to positive fat malabsorption stool test and clinical evidence of fat soluble vitamin malabsorption.

He just turned 4 this week, is 42 inches tall, and weighs 40 lbs. We take 3 capsules per day with his larger meals.

Is this too much? I know that the Ultrase comes in lower lipase dosages, so I was wondering why we started out at the highest dosage available?

He is responding to the enzymes.

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

fkewatson

Hi - our GI doc put my son (single dF508 gene only - normal sweat test), on Ultrase MT 20 capsules due to positive fat malabsorption stool test and clinical evidence of fat soluble vitamin malabsorption.

He just turned 4 this week, is 42 inches tall, and weighs 40 lbs. We take 3 capsules per day with his larger meals.

Is this too much? I know that the Ultrase comes in lower lipase dosages, so I was wondering why we started out at the highest dosage available?

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

fkewatson

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

fkewatson

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

fkewatson

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

fkewatson

Any help is appreciated!

Katie

CFHockeyMom

Sean's been on MT-20's for a very long time now. If memory serves, he started them around 3-4. Maximum dose is dependent on weight and at 40lbs MT-20's isn't out of the norm.

You said he's on 3 caps per day? Is that one per meal and none with snacks or 3 caps per meal?

CFHockeyMom

Sean's been on MT-20's for a very long time now. If memory serves, he started them around 3-4. Maximum dose is dependent on weight and at 40lbs MT-20's isn't out of the norm.

You said he's on 3 caps per day? Is that one per meal and none with snacks or 3 caps per meal?

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

sullihs

My son is 5 1/2 and 43 1/2 inches and 47 pounds. He takes 2 Creon 10s with meals and 1 with snack. His dosage has not changed since his diagnosis (he was about to turn 4). He is gaining weight (from 50% to 70%) and growing (from 10% to 40%) well. I don't know how the Creon dosage compares to the Ultrase dosage.

sullihs

My son is 5 1/2 and 43 1/2 inches and 47 pounds. He takes 2 Creon 10s with meals and 1 with snack. His dosage has not changed since his diagnosis (he was about to turn 4). He is gaining weight (from 50% to 70%) and growing (from 10% to 40%) well. I don't know how the Creon dosage compares to the Ultrase dosage.

sullihs

sullihs

sullihs

sullihs

NoExcuses

Dose depends on how much food is consumed as well as the degree of pancreatic insufficiency.

You can have two 4 year olds who eat the same amount, but one has a shot pancrease and one has one that is only midly affected by CF. They'll need two different doses of enzymes.

NoExcuses

Dose depends on how much food is consumed as well as the degree of pancreatic insufficiency.

You can have two 4 year olds who eat the same amount, but one has a shot pancrease and one has one that is only midly affected by CF. They'll need two different doses of enzymes.