Enzymes & Stool

Sixty5roses

Just curious - what is normal? What is a non-enzyme stool like for other CFers? When I don't take them, they definitely aren't normal (I don't think).  But when I take the enzymes (and yes, I've tried all kinds of doses and brands), then I have to add on Prevacid, Culturelle and Miralax to keep it regular, etc.  Annoying.  I'm not underweight but I know I am not absorbing everything fully.  So, I'm curious - what is a no-enzyme bm like for everyone else??<br><br>Curiosity killed the cat!<br>S.<br>

Sixty5roses

Just curious - what is normal? What is a non-enzyme stool like for other CFers? When I don't take them, they definitely aren't normal (I don't think). But when I take the enzymes (and yes, I've tried all kinds of doses and brands), then I have to add on Prevacid, Culturelle and Miralax to keep it regular, etc. Annoying. I'm not underweight but I know I am not absorbing everything fully. So, I'm curious - what is a no-enzyme bm like for everyone else??<br><br>Curiosity killed the cat!<br>S.<br>

Sixty5roses

Just curious - what is normal? What is a non-enzyme stool like for other CFers? When I don't take them, they definitely aren't normal (I don't think). But when I take the enzymes (and yes, I've tried all kinds of doses and brands), then I have to add on Prevacid, Culturelle and Miralax to keep it regular, etc. Annoying. I'm not underweight but I know I am not absorbing everything fully. So, I'm curious - what is a no-enzyme bm like for everyone else??<br><br>Curiosity killed the cat!<br>S.<br>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' are lighter in color -- orangish yellow, usually not well formed, or broke apart easily when flushed and leave behind a ring along water-line in the toilet bowel. Sometimes dark green. His doctor would always say we needed sinkers not stinkers although his stools have never been foul smelling except maybe when he was a baby in diapers.

Nowdays for the most part they're normal, brown.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' are lighter in color -- orangish yellow, usually not well formed, or broke apart easily when flushed and leave behind a ring along water-line in the toilet bowel. Sometimes dark green. His doctor would always say we needed sinkers not stinkers although his stools have never been foul smelling except maybe when he was a baby in diapers.

Nowdays for the most part they're normal, brown.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Nowdays for the most part they're normal, brown.

hmw

Without enzymes (she was dx'ed at 7): even the formed stools usually floated. Most, however, broke apart when they hit the water and looked like shreds and clouds of cotton candy (sorry for the icky comparison, but it's the most accurate one I can think of.) It was very shiny and greasy on the toilet paper. It was often an orange/very light color.
<br>
<br>With enzymes: Most of her stools sink, and on the toilet paper it is not greasy looking. It's a more normal looking brown color. On occasion it's looser and floats, but I can usually correlate it to fattier than usual food the day before, and even then it's not that cotton candy looking stool we used to see.
<br>
<br>Emily is also on Prevacid and probiotics and miralax and all of those help her. However, she was much worse off without enzymes and I don't blame the enzymes for the reason she needs any of those things.

hmw

Without enzymes (she was dx'ed at 7): even the formed stools usually floated. Most, however, broke apart when they hit the water and looked like shreds and clouds of cotton candy (sorry for the icky comparison, but it's the most accurate one I can think of.) It was very shiny and greasy on the toilet paper. It was often an orange/very light color.
<br>
<br>With enzymes: Most of her stools sink, and on the toilet paper it is not greasy looking. It's a more normal looking brown color. On occasion it's looser and floats, but I can usually correlate it to fattier than usual food the day before, and even then it's not that cotton candy looking stool we used to see.
<br>
<br>Emily is also on Prevacid and probiotics and miralax and all of those help her. However, she was much worse off without enzymes and I don't blame the enzymes for the reason she needs any of those things.

hmw

<br>
<br>

Mistyjo

My daughter is not on enzymes yet, but will be soon. Her stools are fluffy,some floats on water and some sinks. She is chronically constipated.

Mistyjo

My daughter is not on enzymes yet, but will be soon. Her stools are fluffy,some floats on water and some sinks. She is chronically constipated.

Mistyjo

azdesertrat

Been reading all these entries about the digestive issues; very interesting.
When I was a kid I don't think my DR's explained (or maybe they just didn't know then) the digestive issues with my Mom.
I had all the symptoms described above, even while taking enzymes. Back then it was 'Cotazyme" but I can't remember all the names.
Anyway, I still had horrible bellyaches.
Sometimes when it got really bad I would have to drink a liquid called 'MucoMyst'. (Spelling?) That was AWFUL! It smelled & tasted just like water someone dipped out of a Calcutta gutter. It literally tasted/smelled like water from a septic tank.
As I became older my DR would prescribe a cleanout with Golytely. (Am I the ONLY one that thought the name was kinda ironic? LMAO!)
Over the years my stools have become much more 'normal' & much of my belly issues are history, thank God. When I eat the wrong things or if I don't eat enough for the dose of enzymes I've taken I can run into problems. If that happens, usually a dose of mag-citrate will do it. If not, it's 'Go-Alot' time!
Also, over the last 3 years I've gone from 120lbs to 135lbs.
I sincerely hope your children won't have to go through the pain for long & you can get their 'guts' on track. I can tell you, life is MUCH better when you have one 'normal' bowel movement a day. All my best to you all...

azdesertrat

When I was a kid I don't think my DR's explained (or maybe they just didn't know then) the digestive issues with my Mom.
I had all the symptoms described above, even while taking enzymes. Back then it was 'Cotazyme" but I can't remember all the names.
Anyway, I still had horrible bellyaches.
Sometimes when it got really bad I would have to drink a liquid called 'MucoMyst'. (Spelling?) That was AWFUL! It smelled & tasted just like water someone dipped out of a Calcutta gutter. It literally tasted/smelled like water from a septic tank.
As I became older my DR would prescribe a cleanout with Golytely. (Am I the ONLY one that thought the name was kinda ironic? LMAO!)
Over the years my stools have become much more 'normal' & much of my belly issues are history, thank God. When I eat the wrong things or if I don't eat enough for the dose of enzymes I've taken I can run into problems. If that happens, usually a dose of mag-citrate will do it. If not, it's 'Go-Alot' time!
Also, over the last 3 years I've gone from 120lbs to 135lbs.
I sincerely hope your children won't have to go through the pain for long & you can get their 'guts' on track. I can tell you, life is MUCH better when you have one 'normal' bowel movement a day. All my best to you all...

azdesertrat

<br />When I was a kid I don't think my DR's explained (or maybe they just didn't know then) the digestive issues with my Mom.
<br />I had all the symptoms described above, even while taking enzymes. Back then it was 'Cotazyme" but I can't remember all the names.
<br />Anyway, I still had horrible bellyaches.
<br />Sometimes when it got really bad I would have to drink a liquid called 'MucoMyst'. (Spelling?) That was AWFUL! It smelled & tasted just like water someone dipped out of a Calcutta gutter. It literally tasted/smelled like water from a septic tank.
<br />As I became older my DR would prescribe a cleanout with Golytely. (Am I the ONLY one that thought the name was kinda ironic? LMAO!)
<br />Over the years my stools have become much more 'normal' & much of my belly issues are history, thank God. When I eat the wrong things or if I don't eat enough for the dose of enzymes I've taken I can run into problems. If that happens, usually a dose of mag-citrate will do it. If not, it's 'Go-Alot' time!
<br />Also, over the last 3 years I've gone from 120lbs to 135lbs.
<br /> I sincerely hope your children won't have to go through the pain for long & you can get their 'guts' on track. I can tell you, life is MUCH better when you have one 'normal' bowel movement a day. All my best to you all...