Exercise drink for someone with CFRD???

nhaggard07

I just got a stationary bike. I want to start using it today and I'm wondering which sports beverages would be best- I want something like Gatorade that has the electrolytes and all that crap, but doesn't have the carbs/sugars because of my CFRD. I've been trying to cut everything out of my life that has carbs/sugars.. And I'm doing very well so far. Any advice on drinks would be appreciated.. Save me the time of reading a bunch of labels.
Oh, also, since we lose so much salt when we sweat, could I just throw some table salt in to a glass of water to help with that? And if so, would I drink the salt water pre, or post- workout? Thank you!

lilismom

yes they are flavored. The majority of the flavors have some kind of artificial sweetener which I try to avoid. The ones I get are gogi berry green tea and tangerine ginger. They come in a small tube with 16 tablets. Each tablet is for 16 ozs. of water. I see them at our kroger store so you should be able to find them. Otherwise they do sell them on Amazon.

nhaggard07

yes they are flavored. The majority of the flavors have some kind of artificial sweetener which I try to avoid. The ones I get are gogi berry green tea and tangerine ginger. They come in a small tube with 16 tablets. Each tablet is for 16 ozs. of water. I see them at our kroger store so you should be able to find them. Otherwise they do sell them on Amazon.

awesome! I have a Kroger 15 mins away from my house. I'll check there, thank you!
By the way, do any of you cough up some blood in your mucus after exercising? It seems I always do.. I know it's probably not something to be very alarmed about since blood in mucus is pretty common just from having CF, but I don't know if that's a sign I should slow down or I'm causing any damage..?

vbs420

Trace Beverage. It's a "black water". Tastes like water but it's black.

Full of minerals and electrolytes, but with zero carbs (yes! No sugars, no sweeteners!)

H

Hail2Pitt

My cousin is a personal trainer, and she highly recommends nuun tablets as well. I haven't actually tried them yet, but they have a great electrolyte profile.

I drink plain water when I work out, and supplement with Saltstick caps. I take one capsule before I start working out, and then one after every 30 minutes of exercise. Depending on how much you sweat, you may need more. They have a great electrolyte profile as well, and don't have any sweeteners.

http://www.saltstick.com/products/sscaps/cfeatures.htm

Amazon has them for a pretty good price.