Exercises to correct that CF-related slouch?

CyrilCrodius

Exercises to correct that CF-related slouch? My shoulders are rotated frontward, I have a typical CF-related kyphosis. I started training the muscles in my upper back in the hopes that it will improve my condition, but I don't really have any idea whether what I'm doing is really going to help. I want to ask my CF team on my next appointment, but in the mean time, do you know of anything?

R

Red9928

Be sure to strengthen your core abdominal muscles by doing crunches, etc. Also consider asking for a Physical Therapy referral to help you get an appropriate exercise routine started.

triples15

Super Moderator
Excellent question Cyril! I have the slouch AWFUL. I try to concentrate on sitting up straight, but that lasts all of 30 seconds until I forget and I'm once again hunched over. I have considered buying one of those bra-like contraption things that make you stand straight, however I read that those only work while you have them on and do nothing to actually improve your condition. I guess I thought they somehow "trained" you to stand up straight. ;)

Years ago the respiratory therapist at my clinic gave me a pamphlet on exercises to help the cf slouch. I can't for the life of me find it now. I need to ask her if she still has them. The one exercise I can remember involved standing with your back to a wall and bringing your shoulders back until your shoulder blades were against the wall. I can't remember how long to hold it and how many reps, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to try. I've started trying it again.

I'll let you know if I come across the pamphlet or any of the specific exercises she showed me!

Hopefully others have some good insight!

Take care,

Autumn 32 w/CF

robbiekay

We were told by pt to go to a corner a push on each wall with both hands for about 10 min a day, also might wanna try yoga there are lots of great videos out and it is all about the breathing, strength ing the core and stretching everything back into place and just 20 min a day does wonders.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
One thing won't work and that is any kind of appliance supposedly to correct slouching shoulders. At sixty three and with one nasty climbing fall from my twenties the fifty two years of malnutrition prior to diagnosis and of course my radio opaque lungs, has left me a little (too) stooped. Yet another clue of my undiagnosed CF, Kyphosis was attributed to my heritage. In a twisted way my doctor was spot on, just the wrong chromosome.

A birthday gift of three Rolfing sessions in my 20's turned me on to a physical therapist trained in slipping people back into their membranes. Although Rolfing is mostly breaking up mesentery adhesions and slipping these interior membranes that hold our lungs and guts in place as well as every muscle, tendon, nerve and vein throughout the body, back where they are supposed to be. Trust me they are not where they belong.

If you have ever prepared chicken, you’ve seen mesentery membranes between the skin and meat, wrapping each muscle like a special sheath. Mesenteries wrap around every muscle in your body with a lot of mass in the back because there are so many muscles. Every injury, infection or whatever causes scarring in muscle, bone, tendon and of course mesenteries that develop adhesions. For a short time, maybe three months, I had to wear Large dress shirts as my shoulders were now tight in my regular clothing. It isn't a panacea but if improving your posture is the goal, consider it as one of several things that will help reach your goal.

LL

Twistofchaos

Sadly, it's as much of a neurological pattern as it is something you can fix with your muscles.

Many years of weight training and a stronger back sadly hasn't really or directly improved my slouch/kyphosis. (Infact an overdeveloped trapezius at the back makes it optically worse so ironically I have to avoid it somewhat.)

What does improve it is to actually indeed hold a good position, and eventually it does become easier to do. Along with stretching very often to increase mobility and to open you up.
At times where I have remembered to work at it for a while I do have a noticeably posture.
But it's hard, especially when tired and/or sick, why we got it in the first place.
So you want this pattern to set in as much as possible. Stand and sit up straight more and more while avoiding instances of getting "too comfy" in a chair, couch etc. more and more at the same time..

jono

Hi CyrilCrodius. I’ve found that doing an exercise called shoulder dislocations has really helped my posture. Check out this website for more info and a video http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

The trick is to use a wide grip to begin with and do the exercise slowly - concentrating on using your back muscles (traps) to pull your shoulders down and back rather than just moving your arms. Start off with 10 reps a day and work up to 30. You won’t see results over night, but in a few weeks you will definitely notice the difference if you do the exercise every day.

Also doing pec stretches and foam rolling your back will help to.

Twistofchaos

Yep shoulder dislocates are a great way to increase mobility, stretch and to prevent/improve problems with the shoulders. Part of my warmup ever since my shoulders started to give me problems and they've taken most of it away.

Another good stretch is to place both hands on a wall at face height or slightly above, stand wide like you're getting arrested and then move your chest down into it to stretch. Really opens you up.

Gemmy

Banned
A rounded upper back, sometimes called a slouch, is correctly called hyperkyphosis.I still need significant help with though is with strengthening the muscles between my shoulder blades. I have a tendency to slouch slightly unless I specifically focus on keeping my shoulders held back.I've been doing bent-over rows with dumbbells reguarly. Is this the best thing to do to strengthen these muscles

Twistofchaos

Hiya,
yes, bent-over rows are effective especially in combination with training several other muscles to get a strong balanced back. With your muscles working together to make it easier to keep posture for longer periods of time. Besides traps think of your shoulders/back of shoulders, lats (pull ups), neck (bands, plate on your head or bodyweight on the floor) and the whole erector spinea of the back. (squats/deadlifts)
In combination with training your brain by consciously correcting posture as often as possible. And stretches.

N

nephtali

correcting slouch.

There is this man Peter Egosque that wrote this book Egosque method of healing through motion and it talk about getting the proper muscles to work and the other dominant muscles to lay off... its all about simple exercises to correct posture.. Its not a quick fix but it helps tremendously.. just google his name i think most of the info you can get for free but the book helps...anyhow feel free to ask me about it... Zahar w/daughter age 10 cf.

Twistofchaos

It's common with pulmonary diseases.
Being sick, weakness, hunging over from trouble breathing and coughing, bad posture from sitting/laying down, infections and bone weakness, antibiotics use, developing barrel chest and so on.
It's hard to keep good posture when feeling good(ish), it's reaaally hard to do it when feeling crap.