Exhale question, WEIRD!

lightNlife

The source of the smell could be 1 of 3 things:

1. bacteria buildup in the lungs; check your sputum color and thickness
2. Sinus infection; this may also be present with sore teeth, since the sinuses and the teeth are connected
3. Crazy high blood sugar. The buildup of acetone in a diabetic's body presents itself as a noticeable taste and smell. Although it's far less common with CFRD, it's not unheard of to have breath that smells somewhat fruity or strong, like nail polish remover.

Option 1 is the most likely culprit. Perhaps a large mucous plug has moved and that's why you're tasting it on your breath. I'm in the middle of a tune-up myself at present, and I've noticed the same thing now that some of the gunk in my lungs has been broken apart.

lightNlife

The source of the smell could be 1 of 3 things:

1. bacteria buildup in the lungs; check your sputum color and thickness
2. Sinus infection; this may also be present with sore teeth, since the sinuses and the teeth are connected
3. Crazy high blood sugar. The buildup of acetone in a diabetic's body presents itself as a noticeable taste and smell. Although it's far less common with CFRD, it's not unheard of to have breath that smells somewhat fruity or strong, like nail polish remover.

Option 1 is the most likely culprit. Perhaps a large mucous plug has moved and that's why you're tasting it on your breath. I'm in the middle of a tune-up myself at present, and I've noticed the same thing now that some of the gunk in my lungs has been broken apart.

Breezy

It's true! Some people do smell when they're sick. It's not their fault, maybe it's just the way their body reacts to whatever they're sick with. My sister for example, i can always tell when she's sick b/c she smells. nothing horrible or offensive....just....sick. it smells like sickness.

Today i could actually taste/smell the mucus i was coughing up, ironically enough. I guess it depends on where it comes from. Maybe it was from 'deep down' (in the depth of hell....)

Breezy

It's true! Some people do smell when they're sick. It's not their fault, maybe it's just the way their body reacts to whatever they're sick with. My sister for example, i can always tell when she's sick b/c she smells. nothing horrible or offensive....just....sick. it smells like sickness.

Today i could actually taste/smell the mucus i was coughing up, ironically enough. I guess it depends on where it comes from. Maybe it was from 'deep down' (in the depth of hell....)

Breezy

Mandi1404

I've definitely had this. I always know whether its my MRSA or PA thats acting up due to the taste/smell I get. No one ever believed me though!!

Mandi1404

I've definitely had this. I always know whether its my MRSA or PA thats acting up due to the taste/smell I get. No one ever believed me though!!

Mandi1404

Pumuckl

Generally when I have an odor that I can smell and others cannot it is due to my Sinus problems. I tend to get three different types of odors one is an odor that resembles decay or something you would smell in a compost pile, the other is a sickeningly sweet odor and the last is one that resembles dirty gym socks.

I usually notify either my ENT or my pulmonary doc and get on some antibiotics... my ENT has me on a sinus rinse which is gentamiacin in saline that seems to work quite nicely. The main thing is not to get an infection moving into your lungs (since you feel fine I would think its isolated to your sinuses) so be sure to keep an eye on that.

Hope you feel better soon.

Pumuckl

Generally when I have an odor that I can smell and others cannot it is due to my Sinus problems. I tend to get three different types of odors one is an odor that resembles decay or something you would smell in a compost pile, the other is a sickeningly sweet odor and the last is one that resembles dirty gym socks.

I usually notify either my ENT or my pulmonary doc and get on some antibiotics... my ENT has me on a sinus rinse which is gentamiacin in saline that seems to work quite nicely. The main thing is not to get an infection moving into your lungs (since you feel fine I would think its isolated to your sinuses) so be sure to keep an eye on that.

Pumuckl

Fruity

Taste of sputum is a big indicator for me. And my boyfriend swears that he can tell when i'm getting sick by the change in my the way my breath smells. He also knows when i skip my pills... cause he can smell that too. It's really funny to me. I always get a metalic taste with staph, and a bitter metalic ew gross poo taste with PA. When I get something in my sinuses, I just lose all sense of smell and taste and I can't tell crud. if it moves to my chest though (I fight like HE double hockey sticks that it doesn't) I can tell when i've got an infection going.

Best wishes, and I hope you feel better.

Ceci

Fruity

Taste of sputum is a big indicator for me. And my boyfriend swears that he can tell when i'm getting sick by the change in my the way my breath smells. He also knows when i skip my pills... cause he can smell that too. It's really funny to me. I always get a metalic taste with staph, and a bitter metalic ew gross poo taste with PA. When I get something in my sinuses, I just lose all sense of smell and taste and I can't tell crud. if it moves to my chest though (I fight like HE double hockey sticks that it doesn't) I can tell when i've got an infection going.

Ceci

Fruity

Ceci