Experience with IV antibiotic Meropenem

baseballfrank

Has anybody experienced bad side effects when using the IV antibiotic Meropenem. I am currently using this med to fight an infection and it is really messing me up. It makes me feel like total crap. I experience nausea, runny bowels, throwing up and just overall feeling bad.
Anybody else had this reaction? My doctor is aware of these side effects and feels the benefits outweigh the negatives. In the past, it has worked fairly well but it is hell when I am on it. I am running out of antibiotics to use, so I really have no choice.

DainaMay

I have been on Meropenem many times, and each time I get runny bowels. I also get horrible mood swings, from wanting to rip someones head off, to crying my eyes out watching Gene Simons lol. I find each time the "experience" is different, but the most important part is that it works.

Daina, 21 w/cf, Cepatia

JustDucky

Yes, I am GI sensitive to this one as well, for the nausea, have the doc order Zofran or Phenergen, it really helps. Also, eat alot of yogurt or take acidophillus (sp?).....I hope it kicks the infection's butt after going through all of this! Hang in there

Jenn 40 wCF

lilmac7

I've had it many times taken with ceftazidime and that combo seems to work well for. But i have developed something weird to one of those and i can't remember if it's the meropenem or the caftaz, basically in the initial startup dose that i get it makes me throw up. I first thought it was cause they ran it too fast but experimented another time to start it running extremely slow and same thing, immediate urge, gag, puke! But once i throw up the first time with the first dose then I'm fine through the rest of the course. It's the weirdest thing and since the antibiotic works well for me I just suck it up and remember to not have anything to eat or drink prior to that first dose.

musclemania70

i can't take it anymore. I get flushed, short of breath, difficulty breathing, increased heart rate. They say it is an allergy.

kyeev

I've taken Meropenem on and off for about 10 years.
The last time I took it, I got a pain (6/10) in lower back and then really bad chills/temperature, every time I took a dose.
I ended up having to take two paracetamol before each dose to make it to the end of the treatment.
Weird. Must be my kidneys starting to pack up...

susan811

I had a very severe reaction to Meropenem this past Spring. I started out with the flu-like symptoms for a few days then broke out into the nastiest case of hives I have ever had from head to toe. I was a total mess for 5 days! My doctor took me off of it right away but it took quite awhile to leave my system. Never again will I take that drug!

bigstar

My case exactly! flu symptoms HORRIBLE mood swings and dizziness. I hope im not crazy and its not just my body fighting the infection.

musclemania70

Same for me. Just last month tried merop. again and i got the runs, chills, fevers, aches, pains, chest tighness. So they declared it an allergy. Same with Cefapime.
Ceftaz i can do no problems.

M

momofmia

My daughter was on Meripenim for 11 weeks. She had horrible GI disturbances, pain and diarrhea.

emmalou1610

Sorry to hear the trouble you're experiencing with this antibiotic :( I experience the exact same symptoms as you've described when I'm on Meropenum IV. But like you said, my doctor feels the pros outweigh the cons. One of the CF nurses suggested to me to help with the nausea, to eat something light, eg. toast, right before you start the IV. Which I understand is a pain when the dose can be really early in the morning, and the last thing you wanna do is eat when you're unwell anyway but I did find it helped me a lot. Unfortunately the rest of the symptoms seem to just be something we've to put up with :( I hope the meds are doing their job anyway and you're feeling well aside from the side-effects! :)

vestgirl

I used to be able to take Meropenem and Imepenem, but now the intravenous antibiotics cause increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, and extreme fatigue. I get the same reaction as musclemania. I have an allergy to both meds now. I've also developed an allergy to chloroprep and tegaderm dressing.

maryiris

I am currently finishing up a run of meropenum and I too get those symptoms. Eat ALOT of yogurt; I buy the chewable acidophilus and pop 2 everytime i pass the bottle (about 4 or 5 times a day); and I drink a TON of water. My symptoms are way down and easily manageable now.

Julie Desch

Did your doctor check your liver function tests? I can't take Mero because it makes my liver enzymes skyrocket. Liver issues can lead to the symptoms you describe.

Daughter had Flu symptoms after being on it for 4 or 5 days. Damn doctor wouldn't admit it was caused by the antibiotic until she got a severe rash after day 6-7. Sometimes they are so stubborn. She's also allergic to chloraprep and most tapes.

BTW, Anyone hear any news about new antibiotics in development for PA?

Lena Bean

I usually take IV meropenem when it's "tune-up" time. I always get a fever, runny bowels and nausea the first 2 or 3 days. Then every day after, like clockwork between 8pm and 11pm I puke until about two days after the course is over. They usually just give my zofran which sometimes stops the puking. But I'm allergic to quite a few anti-biotics so it's worth it.