Extremely scary PICC insertion

ana007

Hey guys, I'm new here btw. I am 22 and live in Canada. I have gotten about 5 PICC lines inserted before, and the last 2 times I've had them put in have been probably the worst and most frightening memories ever.
Basically, they put the PICC in, everything is fine, and near the end when they just have to bandage me up I get a sudden sick feeling in my stomach, my head feels extremely heavy and hot and I shoot up to a sitting position (from lying flat) and feel like I am suffocating, so I am basically breathing fast quick breaths and panicking, not being able to breathe normally. I would yell "I can't beathe" and it would last maybe a minute or so and then go away, everything going back to normal. I literally thought I was going to die. This happened in exactly the same way both times (symptoms, timing, etc).
I will probably go in the hospital for a routine stay ("tune up") in the next few months and I am absolutely freaked out about the PICC... I am even thinking about not getting one that's how bad this experience is for me. When I think about the memory, I almost start crying it is so traumatizing. They think it's not gonna be fatal or anything and they think it's all in my head, but I think they just don't get that something is not how it used to be or that I am now allergic to something to cause an almost anaphylaxis-like reaction.
Has anyone experienced this before?! Thanks.

crystalina0814

Have they ever given you anything for anxiety beforehand? I have not experienced that feeling with a PICC line, but I have with other procedures and it is usually anxiety. I hope you get it figured out! That would be a horrible feeling to have associated with something that is supposed to help you feel better.

clkelly

Maybe you should consider getting a port. Then you would not have to go through the PICC line insertions when you need them for antibiotics. They are pretty easy to access and you are knocked out when they do the insertion. Also it is not noticable. Hope this helps.

ana007

Thanks for your replies! They mentioned that next time I am going to get a PICC line they will give me Ativan (spelling?) to calm me down beforehand. I am really hoping this works, and if it doesn't, I will have to think hard before getting another PICC because this reaction is seriously absolutely horrible. And I don't know a lot about ports, but I have heard that you can't do certain sports (like martial arts) for fear that you might get hit where the port it? I do muay thai (kickboxing) and its great for my health. We DO NOT spar, so I'm wondering would I have to stop that if I wanted a port? Thanks.

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff;">i have always been given Atavan from day one w/ PICCs. with my weight usually 0.25mg does it for me! just enough to take edge off!

ana007

Hey thanks for your input! Yeah, I am hoping that is the reason why I am getting the reaction I am getting. However, I just don't understand why I didn't get this reaction the first couple of times getting a PICC in? I'm usually not nervous about needles or these types of things. I am scared it is some kind of severe allergic reaction to something that I developed because I feel like I can't breathe and I get very flushed. The nurse said that I looked blue and my oxygen saturation did drop significantly but returned to normal pretty fast, and that my blood pressure changed. I don't think they can give me anything for that besides possibly have an epipen there ready? But yes, I will let you guys know if the Atavan helps at all *crosses fingers*

Jeana

It sounds like a panic attack. If one of your picc insertions was scary, that might cause you to continue to be fearful. Is it hard for them to get the piccs in? Lengthier times? Scarring? Picc getting coiled or stopped at some point? If that is the case, I woul definitely consider a port. I am so much more relaxed about getting iv drugs now.

ana007

Hey! Well, the first few times (I'd say 4) that i got a picc, it went perfectly. They always tell me I have good veins and stuff. But yeah, the last 2 times in a row I got a picc line it's been this very scary reaction, most scary is the cannot breathe part (other stuff, like the flushing and hot feeling is something I can deal with). It doesn't last long, but I'm just scared that one day it will last long and may get more serious...

but yeah, i am going to take an atavan i guess next time before my picc. I hope this helps solve this problem, cause if I have one more terrifying experience then I am considering a port. thanks for your reply!

AnnieT

Terrifying, I only had a picc line inserted once, but it is a major anxiety feeling for sure. I hope the drs. can give you something to relieve this.