faecal elastase test?

E

emerenta18

Hi all, I don't post very much but I'm just looking for some advice really.

I have been having issues with constipation for the past couple of years and it has been getting worse recently, I'm on 8 movicol a day. I had a faecal elastase test done and my levels are 380 which my dietician told me is not entirely normal but not insufficient so I am a bit confused. As far as I understand it less than 200 is abnormal and above 500 is normal. Just wondering if anyone knows what their levels are and how they are/aren't affected? I've lost 14 kilos in the past couple of years without trying but I am overweight anyway so that isnt' a problem!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Well, I learned something today. I looked at your forum question and it has been so long since I have had a fecal test, the technology has changed. More or less that is. I tried to get some solid data on your elastase numbers and though I am an insufferable know it all, first doctorate at 18 in genetics etc. it took the sum of my knowledge to wade through the vagaries of fecal elastase tests (FAT), and what their numbers mean. Starting with what your dietician told you, she probably told you as much as you might gather otherwise. I read through three research papers dealing with interpreting data from FAT within certain populations. These populations varied from groups known to be around or below 200 to “the man on the street” comparisons involving people with medical complaints. Your specific answer, when I was tested in 1997, my number was 201, now how is that for borderline?
Weight loss is always a concern, whether you wanted to drop some weight or not. If your eating habits are unchanged from when you were either stable or gaining weight, I would call that worthy of concern. You are taking 8M a day now. When you had your FAT done that gave you a 380, if you were taking a bulking anti-osmotic laxative like Movicol, or just a bulking laxative like MiraLax, your numbers could be artificially high, possibly over 150 points. I went through this rodeo when I was tested. I was constipated but needed to produce a sample. I loaded up on colon prep and had a movement. The sample, it turns out was tainted by my use of the colon prep. I started over with a different strategy and from this I have a good number. Movicol is nearly identical to the colon prep commonly used. A couple of doctors were prescribing the prep to be used just as you use your Movicol. So for cheap, you pay a lot. A colon prep is a little heavier on the electrolytes, both taste like crap, but possibly you would get more dosing from the colon prep powder, mixing with water as you normally would on a cost basis. For what that is worth.
What 201 meant for me was I had entered into the very early stage of pancreatic auto-digestion. You undoubtedly know what this is but the process of auto-digestion where the pancreatic digestive juices don’t leave the pancreas due to the viscous mucus that CF can cause. The pancreatic mucus cells that protect the pancreas from its protein digesting cocktail break down and some of your daily Calorie intake is from literally having a little pancreas for lunch so to speak. For me it is a pain beyond description. A recent post on a different topic, a woman who had children and pancreatitis, chronic and acute places her pancreatic pain on a totally different metric compared to child birth.
How long the process takes before the pancreas is totally insufficient can be very short for some newborns to later onset as we probably are sharing. Late onset can be late childhood to early or late midlife and it can take a year or a decade or more before coming completely PI. I think this is what your curiosity of the FAT number’s significance is all about. You are losing weight, it could be the wrong kind of weight to be losing if you aren’t up on your fat soluble vitamins, all kinds of secondary problems can develop most notably is bone loss because of vitamin D needing to be there to uptake calcium. Otherwise it is osteoporosis time and it is everything it is cracked up to be.
Being 380 is not good. That is the short of it.
If you would like some input on constipation PM me, I just spent 18 months getting semi-regular. In addition to CF, and my PI becoming more pronounced, my pancreas has been on fire for way too long and I take some heavy narcotic analgesics. I have lived long enough to have Parkinson’s Disease which causes constipation plus the medicine I need to take for the Parkinson’s adds insult to injury. I have enough factors contributing to constipation that I have become highly qualified at keeping things moving.
Good Luck

PowerofHope

Well, I learned something today. I looked at your forum question and it has been so long since I have had a fecal test, the technology has changed. More or less that is. I tried to get some solid data on your elastase numbers and though I am an insufferable know it all, first doctorate at 18 in genetics etc. it took the sum of my knowledge to wade through the vagaries of fecal elastase tests (FAT), and what their numbers mean.

I read through three research papers dealing with interpreting data from FAT within certain populations.

When you had your FAT done that gave you a 380, if you were taking a bulking anti-osmotic laxative like Movicol, or just a bulking laxative like MiraLax, your numbers could be artificially high, possibly over 150 points. I went through this rodeo when I was tested. I was constipated but needed to produce a sample. I loaded up on colon prep and had a movement. The sample, it turns out was tainted by my use of the colon prep. I started over with a different strategy and from this I have a good number.
Being 380 is not good. That is the short of it.

I am trying to get info on this. Do you happen to have anything else you could share or perhaps the research papers you talked about in this post?
I have a daughter who was 260 on this test. Had a LONG 40 day stay in the hospital due to a blockage that she ended up throwing up in the ER and then a Paralytic Ileus that took forever to resolve. At the end of this long stay she was on massive amounts of Miralax and Mucomyst orally to get her digestion moving again. She was retested on the fecal elastate and was above 500. She was labeled at that time as CRMS and they were considering moving her to the CF category (many different doctors mentioned it during her stay), but then stayed with the CRMS diagnosis. Long story. BUT what I am interested in is any info that would provide a reason why her numbers were so low then so high?

Thanks so much in advance.

PowerofHope

Also, I knew the above 500 number was significant. Because one of my daughters had that number >500, but 3 others had specific numbers. All above 200 but below 500.

http://www.gdx.net/core/support-guides/CDSA-CDSA2-combo-Support-Guide.pdf

How do I interpret PE levels? PE values > 200 mcg/g rule out significant pancreatic dysfunction
PE values of 100-200 mcg/g suggest mild to moderate pancreatic insufficiency19
PE values <100 mcg/g reflect moderate to severe pancreatic insufficiency7
Healthy individuals produce on average 500 mcg/g of PE. Thus, levels below 500
mcg/g and above 200 mcg/g suggest a deviation from optimal pancreatic function.
The clinician should therefore consider digestive enzyme supplementation if one or
more of the following conditions is present:
• Loose, watery stools
• Undigested food in the stools
• Post-prandial abdominal pain
• Nausea or colicky abdominal pain
• Gastroesophageal reflux symptoms
• Bloating or food intolerance