False Positive Asymptomatic

larch07

hi
My daughter was diagnosised with cystic fibrosis six months ago because at the time she had slow weight gain (3-4oz a week) upset LFTs and anemia. They did various tests, amongst them a sweat test chloride 80 sodium 60 and a dna mutation test findind two delta f508 mutations. After these results, we also got some virus test results showing she had CMV. As they had possitive results for the CF they would not consider she had anything else wrong, case closed and comepetely ignored the CMV.
They told us what to expect, claimed she was pancreatic insuficent and began her on enzymes. We got our heads round it all hoping she was going to be OK.
After a few weeks all her symptoms went, iron supplements sorted out the anemia.
Her LFT were almost normal at diagnosis OF cf and went on within a few weeks to be comepletely normal.
It was when we began weaning her that the fun really began (at six months old). After several bad bouts of consipation we started reducing the amount of enzymes we were giving her, so much so that she is now on less than 5% of what she is suposed to need. She has all the food groups in her diet now including high fat yogert, cheese etc.
She has a normal appetite and is pilling on the weight putting more than double what she should for her age.
She doesnt have any problem with her stools going around three times a day. (She is eight months old). They don't smell bad, never have.
She has never had any chest problems, not even a little cough, nothing. We do her physio everyday and really feel we are waisting our time as there is nothing there to move.
We are aware that some people with CF can have very few symptoms but to have none?
Is it possible that she has a beign mutation?
The test kit they used to test her DNA doesn't test for F508C.
They have tested mine and my husbands DNA and that has come back with a F508delta each. If one of us has a F508C mutation would that still read a F508delta?
Does anyone else have no symptoms now after being diagnosised with CF symptoms/CF like symptoms.

Please help...as we are not getting any answers from the hospital , they seem to only see CF textbook.

larch07

hi
My daughter was diagnosised with cystic fibrosis six months ago because at the time she had slow weight gain (3-4oz a week) upset LFTs and anemia. They did various tests, amongst them a sweat test chloride 80 sodium 60 and a dna mutation test findind two delta f508 mutations. After these results, we also got some virus test results showing she had CMV. As they had possitive results for the CF they would not consider she had anything else wrong, case closed and comepetely ignored the CMV.
They told us what to expect, claimed she was pancreatic insuficent and began her on enzymes. We got our heads round it all hoping she was going to be OK.
After a few weeks all her symptoms went, iron supplements sorted out the anemia.
Her LFT were almost normal at diagnosis OF cf and went on within a few weeks to be comepletely normal.
It was when we began weaning her that the fun really began (at six months old). After several bad bouts of consipation we started reducing the amount of enzymes we were giving her, so much so that she is now on less than 5% of what she is suposed to need. She has all the food groups in her diet now including high fat yogert, cheese etc.
She has a normal appetite and is pilling on the weight putting more than double what she should for her age.
She doesnt have any problem with her stools going around three times a day. (She is eight months old). They don't smell bad, never have.
She has never had any chest problems, not even a little cough, nothing. We do her physio everyday and really feel we are waisting our time as there is nothing there to move.
We are aware that some people with CF can have very few symptoms but to have none?
They have tested mine and my husbands DNA and that has come back with a F508delta each. If one of us has a F508C mutation would that still read a F508delta?
Does anyone else have no symptoms now after being diagnosised with CF symptoms/CF like symptoms.

Please help...as we are not getting any answers from the hospital , they seem to only see CF textbook.

larch07

hi

larch07

hi

larch07

hi

larch07

hi

greatbay

I am sorry to hear your daughter has CF but if all her tests came out with 2 CF genes than she does have CF....everyone is different in how the CF shows it's ugly head....some show no real symtoms until later in life and some show them real early. BUT preventative care is a must once the diagnosis is real. Everything you do for her now will be of help for later on, when and if her symtoms get worse.
Please read down through the different postings in the forums for information about others whose symtoms didn't appear until later, some were 8/9 others were in late teens, still others in 20's. But please talk to a CF doctor and let him know that you are concerned about the need to do physio and enzymes, he can explain how worthwhile it is to continue better than I.

greatbay

I am sorry to hear your daughter has CF but if all her tests came out with 2 CF genes than she does have CF....everyone is different in how the CF shows it's ugly head....some show no real symtoms until later in life and some show them real early. BUT preventative care is a must once the diagnosis is real. Everything you do for her now will be of help for later on, when and if her symtoms get worse.
Please read down through the different postings in the forums for information about others whose symtoms didn't appear until later, some were 8/9 others were in late teens, still others in 20's. But please talk to a CF doctor and let him know that you are concerned about the need to do physio and enzymes, he can explain how worthwhile it is to continue better than I.

greatbay

greatbay

greatbay

greatbay