FDA Announcement: long-acting beta agonists

Melissa75

Administrator
The greatest risk is in taking only the long-acting bronchodilator (LABA) component without the steriod component. But if you took say Serevent and Pulmicort (an inhaled corticosteriod), you would be okay even though it is not a combo inhaler. They combined the two because of compliance issues--people drop one inhaler when they feel good and have no idea the risk they are taking. Harriet is right in saying that most people who get these meds from their PCP or ped have no idea what the "ingredients" are for and what the risks are, and the drs have not explained anything to them. (I see this in my friends who get bronchitis and in their kids who have asthma.)

Melissa75

Administrator
The greatest risk is in taking only the long-acting bronchodilator (LABA) component without the steriod component. But if you took say Serevent and Pulmicort (an inhaled corticosteriod), you would be okay even though it is not a combo inhaler. They combined the two because of compliance issues--people drop one inhaler when they feel good and have no idea the risk they are taking. Harriet is right in saying that most people who get these meds from their PCP or ped have no idea what the "ingredients" are for and what the risks are, and the drs have not explained anything to them. (I see this in my friends who get bronchitis and in their kids who have asthma.)

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator