Fecal Elastase

croomabu

Greetings,

I just got a result from a fecal elastase that was 29 for My 12 mth old? the clinic said " this just shows she needs her enzymes" but as this is so far below 200 i am freaked out ?
did anyone else do this test and if so what kind of number did you get ? if it was this low does that mean more enzymes ? she is currently just on 2 per feed and seems to be doing ok ..

Thanks in advance for all your helpful input ?

croomabu

Greetings,

I just got a result from a fecal elastase that was 29 for My 12 mth old? the clinic said " this just shows she needs her enzymes" but as this is so far below 200 i am freaked out ?
did anyone else do this test and if so what kind of number did you get ? if it was this low does that mean more enzymes ? she is currently just on 2 per feed and seems to be doing ok ..

Thanks in advance for all your helpful input ?

croomabu

Greetings,
<br />
<br />I just got a result from a fecal elastase that was 29 for My 12 mth old? the clinic said " this just shows she needs her enzymes" but as this is so far below 200 i am freaked out ?
<br />did anyone else do this test and if so what kind of number did you get ? if it was this low does that mean more enzymes ? she is currently just on 2 per feed and seems to be doing ok ..
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance for all your helpful input ?

G

grantsmom

The only time Grant my two year old had this test was at his first clinic appt. He was two weeks old and it was before he started enzymes. I think the result was around 50. When Grants enzymes need increased he has frequent, oily and loose stools. Also his weight gain would be poor. How is your daughters weight? Is she showing any signs of malabsorption?
One time I was sure Grant needed more enzymes but the doc said he couldn't increase them because the dosage is based on weight and that too many enzymes could cause problems.

I hope this input helps in some way-take care

G

grantsmom

The only time Grant my two year old had this test was at his first clinic appt. He was two weeks old and it was before he started enzymes. I think the result was around 50. When Grants enzymes need increased he has frequent, oily and loose stools. Also his weight gain would be poor. How is your daughters weight? Is she showing any signs of malabsorption?
One time I was sure Grant needed more enzymes but the doc said he couldn't increase them because the dosage is based on weight and that too many enzymes could cause problems.

I hope this input helps in some way-take care

G

grantsmom

<br /> One time I was sure Grant needed more enzymes but the doc said he couldn't increase them because the dosage is based on weight and that too many enzymes could cause problems.
<br />
<br />I hope this input helps in some way-take care

Allisa35

I'm 39 and just recently had a fecal elastase test done. My number came back at 15. I've been taking enzymes since I was a child. I take 3 with meals (4 with really greasy food) and usually 1 or 2 with snacks. I must admit that even I was taken aback a bit by my results. I thought it would be closer to 100. I don't know if that helps you at all. I don't know why my numbers were when I was a child.

Allisa35

I'm 39 and just recently had a fecal elastase test done. My number came back at 15. I've been taking enzymes since I was a child. I take 3 with meals (4 with really greasy food) and usually 1 or 2 with snacks. I must admit that even I was taken aback a bit by my results. I thought it would be closer to 100. I don't know if that helps you at all. I don't know why my numbers were when I was a child.

Allisa35

SARAHSARAH253

I can tell you that my son as a newborn his number came back 50. I don't have to even go look. I remember because that's how that stupid NICU nurse ended up slipping out that he had CF to me. She told me "Ohh your still pumping..You know their probably going to switch him to formula..His test results came back 50...Normal kids have over 200". Ahhh...

SARAHSARAH253

I can tell you that my son as a newborn his number came back 50. I don't have to even go look. I remember because that's how that stupid NICU nurse ended up slipping out that he had CF to me. She told me "Ohh your still pumping..You know their probably going to switch him to formula..His test results came back 50...Normal kids have over 200". Ahhh...

SARAHSARAH253