Feeding tube for 5 1/2 month Infant

Keirasmom

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had their baby on a feeding tube. My daughter is not gaining weight and they said that if in a month she is not doing better that we need to look at a feeding tube.
Any help or advice would be great...
Thanks,
Rebecca

Keirasmom

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had their baby on a feeding tube. My daughter is not gaining weight and they said that if in a month she is not doing better that we need to look at a feeding tube.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Keirasmom

Hi all,
Thanks,
Rebecca

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We never had to deal with the feeding tube issue, but we did struggle to maintain DS's weight. He did have an ng tube in the NICU briefly. He ended up "topping off" and hurled it all up. One thing we did was switch from predigested formula (pregestimil) to regular infamil lipil. We knew he'd drink that, the stuff they wanted him on, he'd clamp his mouth shut, and refuse to eat. The nurses & dietician at the NICU seemed to think we should force feed him, which just made matters worse.

Also, in order to get more calories, since we had issues getting DS to drink enough volume, we were given a recipe for more powdered formula to liquid ratio. I think he was on 27 kcal formula for most of his first year. As DS got older we added a tbsp of cream to his bottles. This was as per our doctor's instructions. Once DS turned 6 months old, we were also told to give DS regular food NOT babyfood. Grind up what we were eating. 'cuz baby food is low in sodium and fat. He basically ate a LOT of yogurt. I did end up giving him baby food, too (mac & cheese, oatmeal w/pears, meats & veggies), 'cuz he had texture issues, but would add butter and salt to them.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We never had to deal with the feeding tube issue, but we did struggle to maintain DS's weight. He did have an ng tube in the NICU briefly. He ended up "topping off" and hurled it all up. One thing we did was switch from predigested formula (pregestimil) to regular infamil lipil. We knew he'd drink that, the stuff they wanted him on, he'd clamp his mouth shut, and refuse to eat. The nurses & dietician at the NICU seemed to think we should force feed him, which just made matters worse.

Also, in order to get more calories, since we had issues getting DS to drink enough volume, we were given a recipe for more powdered formula to liquid ratio. I think he was on 27 kcal formula for most of his first year. As DS got older we added a tbsp of cream to his bottles. This was as per our doctor's instructions. Once DS turned 6 months old, we were also told to give DS regular food NOT babyfood. Grind up what we were eating. 'cuz baby food is low in sodium and fat. He basically ate a LOT of yogurt. I did end up giving him baby food, too (mac & cheese, oatmeal w/pears, meats & veggies), 'cuz he had texture issues, but would add butter and salt to them.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Louieh1

Hello.I fed my son with the n.g. feeding tube and it was brilliant in helping his weight gain.We learnt to pass tube in hospital and then went home.Used it mainly to top up feeds but when he had one of his many bugs it was his main feeding source!!!Flush tube out with pineapple juice,does a great job.
Best of luck.My 3 year old had gone from being below the 20th centile to nearly 90 centile rate.

Louieh1

Hello.I fed my son with the n.g. feeding tube and it was brilliant in helping his weight gain.We learnt to pass tube in hospital and then went home.Used it mainly to top up feeds but when he had one of his many bugs it was his main feeding source!!!Flush tube out with pineapple juice,does a great job.
Best of luck.My 3 year old had gone from being below the 20th centile to nearly 90 centile rate.

Louieh1

nikkig

my niece was 15lbs at 1 year since then she has been drinking pediasure instead of formula and has gained 11 pounds since march. I know your child might be to young for the pediasure but a great wa of adding on some calories

nikkig

my niece was 15lbs at 1 year since then she has been drinking pediasure instead of formula and has gained 11 pounds since march. I know your child might be to young for the pediasure but a great wa of adding on some calories

nikkig

S

sdelorenzo

Rebecca,
My daughter had a ng feeding tube placed when she was three months old. She had it for three months. She was not eating, losing weight and vomiting, so we had no option. The feeding tube was a huge blessing. If she would drink only an ounce, we could just add 3 or 4 ounces to the feeding tube. She actually ended up getting a little bit plump on it. Turns out she was not eating because she had a milk allergy. A few weeks after we switched her formula to Nutrimigen she started to eat and the feeding tube came out. I was glad we made the decision to put the ng tube as early as we did.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Rebecca,
My daughter had a ng feeding tube placed when she was three months old. She had it for three months. She was not eating, losing weight and vomiting, so we had no option. The feeding tube was a huge blessing. If she would drink only an ounce, we could just add 3 or 4 ounces to the feeding tube. She actually ended up getting a little bit plump on it. Turns out she was not eating because she had a milk allergy. A few weeks after we switched her formula to Nutrimigen she started to eat and the feeding tube came out. I was glad we made the decision to put the ng tube as early as we did.

S

sdelorenzo

Rebecca,

westonsmom

My son was born with MI and needed surgery, so they put in a G tube from the beginning. He was still failing to thrive after 7 months (We found out about the Cf at 5 months) They switched his formula to Elecare (pronounced Ella Care which is our daughters name...kind of ironic) This did a world of difference and he gained 10 lbs. in 6 months!!!!
Weston only needs the G tube for meds at this point but at one time he was on continuous feeds all day. It was tough but we got used to it. Every kid is different. Maybe see if they can try to switch the formula first. Elecare is like progestimil and is made with a corn base instead of milk base. It also comes in vanilla...yummy! Your kid continously smells like choc. chip cookies!!!
If you have any other questions about the Gtube you can PM me.

westonsmom

My son was born with MI and needed surgery, so they put in a G tube from the beginning. He was still failing to thrive after 7 months (We found out about the Cf at 5 months) They switched his formula to Elecare (pronounced Ella Care which is our daughters name...kind of ironic) This did a world of difference and he gained 10 lbs. in 6 months!!!!
Weston only needs the G tube for meds at this point but at one time he was on continuous feeds all day. It was tough but we got used to it. Every kid is different. Maybe see if they can try to switch the formula first. Elecare is like progestimil and is made with a corn base instead of milk base. It also comes in vanilla...yummy! Your kid continously smells like choc. chip cookies!!!

westonsmom

Keirasmom

Keira is on Pregestimil and we do make it 24 calorie, but at her last CF appointment she had lost weight. I have been trying to calculate how many calories a day she gets and it is 550 to 600 calories a day.
Keira had an ostomy bag for about 9 1/2 weeks and it was hard..... it constantly came off..... I just keep saying "not one more thing!"....
I feel like I need to talk to my Doc more in depth about this feeding tube...
Thanks!

Keirasmom

Keira is on Pregestimil and we do make it 24 calorie, but at her last CF appointment she had lost weight. I have been trying to calculate how many calories a day she gets and it is 550 to 600 calories a day.
Keira had an ostomy bag for about 9 1/2 weeks and it was hard..... it constantly came off..... I just keep saying "not one more thing!"....
I feel like I need to talk to my Doc more in depth about this feeding tube...
Thanks!