Feeding Tube, Port, and Flag Football!

Kerryann

Our 5 year old son is starting Flag Football through a local Pop Warner Organization, for which my husband is a coach.

Although flag is intended to be non-contact, we have some obvious concern about unintentional contact during practice and games as AJ has a port and a g-tube.

We did purchase a protective shirt made by Easton and it does cover all of the appropriate areas, however it is VERY heavy and AJ sweats a great deal when he wears it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kerryann

Our 5 year old son is starting Flag Football through a local Pop Warner Organization, for which my husband is a coach.

Although flag is intended to be non-contact, we have some obvious concern about unintentional contact during practice and games as AJ has a port and a g-tube.

We did purchase a protective shirt made by Easton and it does cover all of the appropriate areas, however it is VERY heavy and AJ sweats a great deal when he wears it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kerryann

Thank you!

Kerryann

Thank you!

Kerryann

<br />
<br />Although flag is intended to be non-contact, we have some obvious concern about unintentional contact during practice and games as AJ has a port and a g-tube.
<br />
<br />We did purchase a protective shirt made by Easton and it does cover all of the appropriate areas, however it is VERY heavy and AJ sweats a great deal when he wears it.
<br />
<br />Has anyone had any experience with this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
<br />
<br />Thank you!

M

Mommafirst

I dont' have any experience, but my daughter does have a g-tube, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this.

If you don't get a lot of responses (I know its a pretty small percentage on the board of kids with tubes and/or ports), you might consider also going to parent-2-parent.com where they have a feeding tube board and lots of people that might be able to offer ideas.

M

Mommafirst

I dont' have any experience, but my daughter does have a g-tube, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this.

If you don't get a lot of responses (I know its a pretty small percentage on the board of kids with tubes and/or ports), you might consider also going to parent-2-parent.com where they have a feeding tube board and lots of people that might be able to offer ideas.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />If you don't get a lot of responses (I know its a pretty small percentage on the board of kids with tubes and/or ports), you might consider also going to parent-2-parent.com where they have a feeding tube board and lots of people that might be able to offer ideas.

fourkidsmom

Kerryann,

This has been a concern of mine for the last 3 yrs. My son started soccer when he was 5 yrs old. He has had his port since 2 months of age so he is very used to it and his tube going on 3 yrs. He has gotten hit with the ball in the tube, which if it does fall out we have an extra to put in. I don't know if you change out the tube yourself but if not I would recommend going on youtube and there are some very helpful videos that show you how to change out. I have noticed my son tends to protect his port so that is helpful. Believe me it is so hard to watch your child play with knowing they have the tube and port. He wanted to wrestle, but we felt that really would not work. I would think flag football he would be ok. I think it is best to let them play like the other kids. Also with you hussband being a coach that is very nice because my husband is the assistant coach and he can pull my son out of the game when he is struggling due to the hot weather and breathing. Good luck and if you have any other questions ask my anytime.

Angie

fourkidsmom

Kerryann,

This has been a concern of mine for the last 3 yrs. My son started soccer when he was 5 yrs old. He has had his port since 2 months of age so he is very used to it and his tube going on 3 yrs. He has gotten hit with the ball in the tube, which if it does fall out we have an extra to put in. I don't know if you change out the tube yourself but if not I would recommend going on youtube and there are some very helpful videos that show you how to change out. I have noticed my son tends to protect his port so that is helpful. Believe me it is so hard to watch your child play with knowing they have the tube and port. He wanted to wrestle, but we felt that really would not work. I would think flag football he would be ok. I think it is best to let them play like the other kids. Also with you hussband being a coach that is very nice because my husband is the assistant coach and he can pull my son out of the game when he is struggling due to the hot weather and breathing. Good luck and if you have any other questions ask my anytime.

Angie

fourkidsmom

Kerryann,

Angie

fourkidsmom

Kerryann,

Angie

fourkidsmom

Kerryann,
<br />
<br />This has been a concern of mine for the last 3 yrs. My son started soccer when he was 5 yrs old. He has had his port since 2 months of age so he is very used to it and his tube going on 3 yrs. He has gotten hit with the ball in the tube, which if it does fall out we have an extra to put in. I don't know if you change out the tube yourself but if not I would recommend going on youtube and there are some very helpful videos that show you how to change out. I have noticed my son tends to protect his port so that is helpful. Believe me it is so hard to watch your child play with knowing they have the tube and port. He wanted to wrestle, but we felt that really would not work. I would think flag football he would be ok. I think it is best to let them play like the other kids. Also with you hussband being a coach that is very nice because my husband is the assistant coach and he can pull my son out of the game when he is struggling due to the hot weather and breathing. Good luck and if you have any other questions ask my anytime.
<br />
<br />Angie

jimiv

My 11 year old so has a g-tube and has had it for about 18 months now. For contact sports and such, I would put a 4"x4" bandage on it. That would reduce the risk of it accidentally being pulled. I think extra padding can be a good idea but mostly avoiding the incidental contact has been the greatest benefit.

jimiv

My 11 year old so has a g-tube and has had it for about 18 months now. For contact sports and such, I would put a 4"x4" bandage on it. That would reduce the risk of it accidentally being pulled. I think extra padding can be a good idea but mostly avoiding the incidental contact has been the greatest benefit.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv