Feeding Tube Q/transplant

Trizzanne74

I have a feeding tube now, and was wondering do most centers require you to remove yours like a port before surgery for risk infection? Has anyone had to do this? Also, did anyone have a Jtube placed before surgery?

Our center usually places a Jtube post surgery and your fed out of that until you have a stomach wrap. This prevents reflux and problems that could affect the new lungs.

Trizzanne74

I have a feeding tube now, and was wondering do most centers require you to remove yours like a port before surgery for risk infection? Has anyone had to do this? Also, did anyone have a Jtube placed before surgery?

Our center usually places a Jtube post surgery and your fed out of that until you have a stomach wrap. This prevents reflux and problems that could affect the new lungs.

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

Trizzanne74

bfreddy

hey,

I had gotten a gtube put in to gain weight. I had my transplant about six months after the tube was put in. They left the tube in. I only used a couple of times post transplant. They ended up removing the tube about three months after transplant

Brian
tx 3-14-05

bfreddy

hey,

I had gotten a gtube put in to gain weight. I had my transplant about six months after the tube was put in. They left the tube in. I only used a couple of times post transplant. They ended up removing the tube about three months after transplant

Brian
tx 3-14-05

bfreddy

hey,

Brian
tx 3-14-05

bfreddy

hey,

Brian
tx 3-14-05

bfreddy

hey,

Brian
tx 3-14-05

coltsfan715

I think it will depend on alot of things such as your center and how you do with gaining weight.

I personally did NOT have a tube before transplant and still do not have one, but I know of a handful of CF patients that had them Pre Transplant that still have them post transplant - ranging from 3 years post to 1 yr post to 3 months post. The ones that still have their tube use it when/if they are hospitalized. I think it would be something that you would have to discuss with your center as to their thoughts on the issue.

Also in regards to ports - I got one placed in January 2007. I had it roughly 4-5 months before I was transplanted and I still have it. I actually talked to the Tx docs and asked them if it would be okay for me to have it or if they would want it removed after Transplant. If they had wanted it removed I was not going to get it. Needless to say they did not have a problem with it. They actually told me post Transplant that they wanted me to keep it as long as I could. In the event that I needed to be hospitalized. I haven't had any issues with infection or anything like that.

Please take care and Best of Luck.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I think it will depend on alot of things such as your center and how you do with gaining weight.

I personally did NOT have a tube before transplant and still do not have one, but I know of a handful of CF patients that had them Pre Transplant that still have them post transplant - ranging from 3 years post to 1 yr post to 3 months post. The ones that still have their tube use it when/if they are hospitalized. I think it would be something that you would have to discuss with your center as to their thoughts on the issue.

Also in regards to ports - I got one placed in January 2007. I had it roughly 4-5 months before I was transplanted and I still have it. I actually talked to the Tx docs and asked them if it would be okay for me to have it or if they would want it removed after Transplant. If they had wanted it removed I was not going to get it. Needless to say they did not have a problem with it. They actually told me post Transplant that they wanted me to keep it as long as I could. In the event that I needed to be hospitalized. I haven't had any issues with infection or anything like that.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

MOME2RT

Lindsey, where is your port? Reeces' is on his lower left chest area, so Im assuming they will have to remove his.

I also know a guy that had his g tube during tx. He had it removed about 6 months after the tx.

MOME2RT

Lindsey, where is your port? Reeces' is on his lower left chest area, so Im assuming they will have to remove his.

I also know a guy that had his g tube during tx. He had it removed about 6 months after the tx.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT