Feeding Tube?

jbrandonAW

I just got mine a week ago and OMG I LOVE IT! I have so much less stress when it comes to eating that I actually enjoy eating! I have put on 6lbs since I got my tube.

They placed a PEG button, which I will have for 6 week(doc says if we can hold off for 3 months that its better for healing). But he placed a peg button so I didn't have to have a dangling tube. It honestly reminds me of the Bard button. At 6 weeks I will be able to replace it with a mickey button (or the AMT mini).

My feeds are going great. I get 3 cans a night (1500 cals). Normal it runs from 11 -7am. I wake up and I am actually a little hungry now. I don't really wake up full and bloated. It also has not affected my eating during the day other than relieving the stress of eating. I eating normally (if not more) food now.

The tubes connect great and I have had no issue with something comming disconnected in the night. I DO have heartburn now so we have started me on Protonix, and you do have to sleep at an incline. I find that I have higher energy levels now during the day, and I haven't had any issues with low blood sugar either.

I am not a self concious person, but for those that are so far you can barely notice that its there (might be different with the replacement button).

The only down sides for me so far are that it does "ooze", not bad but I do find that I am wiping it alot b/c there are tummy crusties lol. I am finding that I do need to wake up in the middle of the night and take enzymes (atleast for now). And I have been in an odd amount of pain (which is NOT normal so don't think he will have those results)

Until now I had always associated feeding tubes with bad health -I don't know why- but I just have. Now I realize that this is the BEST thing for my health. Its been proven that a better BMI equals better Lung function! When I am sick I don't eat and there fore loose ALOT of weight. When I'm sick is the time I actually NEED the nutriants and now I can get them.

My docs said that at first I will use the button every night, and then we will go to probably 3 times a week as a mantience weight thing. I am trying to get to 125 lbs. There may come a point where I don't need and and you know what if you don't like it you can always just take it out. Thats a point my doc made clear to me. Get it, try it, see if it helps, if its not right for you then pull it out and it will fully close within a week (if not sooner).

If you have any other questions PLEASE ask. I know I did and I do NOT regret my decision to get a gtube!

jbrandonAW

I just got mine a week ago and OMG I LOVE IT! I have so much less stress when it comes to eating that I actually enjoy eating! I have put on 6lbs since I got my tube.

They placed a PEG button, which I will have for 6 week(doc says if we can hold off for 3 months that its better for healing). But he placed a peg button so I didn't have to have a dangling tube. It honestly reminds me of the Bard button. At 6 weeks I will be able to replace it with a mickey button (or the AMT mini).

My feeds are going great. I get 3 cans a night (1500 cals). Normal it runs from 11 -7am. I wake up and I am actually a little hungry now. I don't really wake up full and bloated. It also has not affected my eating during the day other than relieving the stress of eating. I eating normally (if not more) food now.

The tubes connect great and I have had no issue with something comming disconnected in the night. I DO have heartburn now so we have started me on Protonix, and you do have to sleep at an incline. I find that I have higher energy levels now during the day, and I haven't had any issues with low blood sugar either.

I am not a self concious person, but for those that are so far you can barely notice that its there (might be different with the replacement button).

The only down sides for me so far are that it does "ooze", not bad but I do find that I am wiping it alot b/c there are tummy crusties lol. I am finding that I do need to wake up in the middle of the night and take enzymes (atleast for now). And I have been in an odd amount of pain (which is NOT normal so don't think he will have those results)

Until now I had always associated feeding tubes with bad health -I don't know why- but I just have. Now I realize that this is the BEST thing for my health. Its been proven that a better BMI equals better Lung function! When I am sick I don't eat and there fore loose ALOT of weight. When I'm sick is the time I actually NEED the nutriants and now I can get them.

My docs said that at first I will use the button every night, and then we will go to probably 3 times a week as a mantience weight thing. I am trying to get to 125 lbs. There may come a point where I don't need and and you know what if you don't like it you can always just take it out. Thats a point my doc made clear to me. Get it, try it, see if it helps, if its not right for you then pull it out and it will fully close within a week (if not sooner).

If you have any other questions PLEASE ask. I know I did and I do NOT regret my decision to get a gtube!

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />They placed a PEG button, which I will have for 6 week(doc says if we can hold off for 3 months that its better for healing). But he placed a peg button so I didn't have to have a dangling tube. It honestly reminds me of the Bard button. At 6 weeks I will be able to replace it with a mickey button (or the AMT mini).
<br />
<br />My feeds are going great. I get 3 cans a night (1500 cals). Normal it runs from 11 -7am. I wake up and I am actually a little hungry now. I don't really wake up full and bloated. It also has not affected my eating during the day other than relieving the stress of eating. I eating normally (if not more) food now.
<br />
<br />The tubes connect great and I have had no issue with something comming disconnected in the night. I DO have heartburn now so we have started me on Protonix, and you do have to sleep at an incline. I find that I have higher energy levels now during the day, and I haven't had any issues with low blood sugar either.
<br />
<br />I am not a self concious person, but for those that are so far you can barely notice that its there (might be different with the replacement button).
<br />
<br />The only down sides for me so far are that it does "ooze", not bad but I do find that I am wiping it alot b/c there are tummy crusties lol. I am finding that I do need to wake up in the middle of the night and take enzymes (atleast for now). And I have been in an odd amount of pain (which is NOT normal so don't think he will have those results)
<br />
<br />Until now I had always associated feeding tubes with bad health -I don't know why- but I just have. Now I realize that this is the BEST thing for my health. Its been proven that a better BMI equals better Lung function! When I am sick I don't eat and there fore loose ALOT of weight. When I'm sick is the time I actually NEED the nutriants and now I can get them.
<br />
<br />My docs said that at first I will use the button every night, and then we will go to probably 3 times a week as a mantience weight thing. I am trying to get to 125 lbs. There may come a point where I don't need and and you know what if you don't like it you can always just take it out. Thats a point my doc made clear to me. Get it, try it, see if it helps, if its not right for you then pull it out and it will fully close within a week (if not sooner).
<br />
<br />If you have any other questions PLEASE ask. I know I did and I do NOT regret my decision to get a gtube!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
It is such a difficult decision for a family- gut wrenching really. I remember.

Our boys have had their g-tubes for 5 years and while it is not always easy, I can say it was the best decision we ever made. It has saved their lives and taken a huge burden off our family. Setting up and giving the night feeds takes a little work, but <b><i>way</i></b> less than struggling at meals trying to get the kid to eat.

I recommend it to everyone. If you have questions or would like a picture of my boys' tubes- PM me. Good luck with your decision.

BTW- Josh was 14 and Jess was 9 when they got their g-tubes.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Our boys have had their g-tubes for 5 years and while it is not always easy, I can say it was the best decision we ever made. It has saved their lives and taken a huge burden off our family. Setting up and giving the night feeds takes a little work, but <b><i>way</i></b> less than struggling at meals trying to get the kid to eat.

I recommend it to everyone. If you have questions or would like a picture of my boys' tubes- PM me. Good luck with your decision.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />Our boys have had their g-tubes for 5 years and while it is not always easy, I can say it was the best decision we ever made. It has saved their lives and taken a huge burden off our family. Setting up and giving the night feeds takes a little work, but <b><i>way</i></b> less than struggling at meals trying to get the kid to eat.
<br />
<br />I recommend it to everyone. If you have questions or would like a picture of my boys' tubes- PM me. Good luck with your decision.
<br />
<br />BTW- Josh was 14 and Jess was 9 when they got their g-tubes.

crickit715

my little girl is only 19 months and received her feeding tube at 4 months because she just couldnt gain any weight..the first 6 weeks were the hardest, but after that, there isnt much daily care at all. just make sure there is enough water in the "balloon" so it doesnt leak or fall out and youre pretty much good to go. sometimes i get irritated because it pops out at night and we have a soaked bed in the morning but your child is much older and can handle that himself. you wont believe the difference it will make in their overall "health"!!

crickit715

my little girl is only 19 months and received her feeding tube at 4 months because she just couldnt gain any weight..the first 6 weeks were the hardest, but after that, there isnt much daily care at all. just make sure there is enough water in the "balloon" so it doesnt leak or fall out and youre pretty much good to go. sometimes i get irritated because it pops out at night and we have a soaked bed in the morning but your child is much older and can handle that himself. you wont believe the difference it will make in their overall "health"!!

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715

jimiv

My son Parker got his g-tube about 18 months ago and it has been a very good decision. He did not want to do it initially. However talking with him about the concerns and the risks of staying underweight in addition to learning about the process or hearing about other people helped him. Jane was a huge help for me. Her son's thoughts really helped Parker see that he was not alone. The daily routine is fairly simple. I mix a formula that his nutritionist and I settled on and put it in the bag. Parker connects it to his tube before bed and he sleeps with it. The feeding session is powered by a pump and lasts about 5 hours. We occassionally do some additional "bolus" feeds (a smaller session using a smaller amout of formula). I am glad we did it . I look forward to the time where he does not need it anymore. As far as limitations, the only thing I did not let Parker do was participate in boxing or wrestling at summer camp. I have not found an activity or sport that he can not participate in other than those two. With peers, his biggest concern was people seeing his tube. Once the button is put on (about a month after the initial procedure), a loose shirt completly conceals it. I hope this rambling helps. If there is anything you need, this forum has been a Godsend to me and I hope it is to you.

jimiv

My son Parker got his g-tube about 18 months ago and it has been a very good decision. He did not want to do it initially. However talking with him about the concerns and the risks of staying underweight in addition to learning about the process or hearing about other people helped him. Jane was a huge help for me. Her son's thoughts really helped Parker see that he was not alone. The daily routine is fairly simple. I mix a formula that his nutritionist and I settled on and put it in the bag. Parker connects it to his tube before bed and he sleeps with it. The feeding session is powered by a pump and lasts about 5 hours. We occassionally do some additional "bolus" feeds (a smaller session using a smaller amout of formula). I am glad we did it . I look forward to the time where he does not need it anymore. As far as limitations, the only thing I did not let Parker do was participate in boxing or wrestling at summer camp. I have not found an activity or sport that he can not participate in other than those two. With peers, his biggest concern was people seeing his tube. Once the button is put on (about a month after the initial procedure), a loose shirt completly conceals it. I hope this rambling helps. If there is anything you need, this forum has been a Godsend to me and I hope it is to you.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv