Feeling depressed

K

KrakenKrunch

I feel it's weird that I can't really cry.. so if someone dies no matter how close I was or anything sad I just don't cry. I can get so mad I feel like crying and try to but can't. I have CF and almost died a few years ago and cried a little because I was scared but now I just feel like everything's bottled up and I can't let it out. I'm 18 never had a girlfriend.. partly because I kinda grew up in a hospital and not a lot of people like the skinny guy, I'm probably depressed and had thoughts of "ending it" but because of my religion that scares me :/ , family isn't really "there for me" and puts me down a lot. But because of CF I can't seem to get a job to make money so I can move out.. so I'm stuck at home. I have some really bad infections and every other month I feel I can barely move around, but I get by. So I feel I have a lot to cry about, maybe I don't idk but I don't know I just can't cry.. I feel I don't have anyone to talk to about this, which is why I found this forum.. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.
(I'm hoping when this Kalydeco thing comes out some of this will change for the better.)

sroeseler

OK well first off I really sick at this emotions things myself. I was raised not to show any, to suck it up and "be tough", so even if I want to cry I don't. That sucks and really only makes its worse... It's OK to cry man. It doesn't make you weak, just makes you human. I'm not saying run around crying all day over everything but it's OK to cry. I have two boys now and cf is allot to handle sometimes and the only way to deal with it is to cry and you'll feel better afterwards, pick yourself back up and keep pushing on. You need to realize that this disease doesn't control you, you control it. Doing your treatments, taking your meds, and staying active will keep you feeling better. If you feel better you'll want to stay more active. It's up to you though, no one can do it for you! You have to get up and want to be happy to exercise and feel better. Because cf is as much mental as it is physical. So go ahead and cry man, but don't quit, go get a job, you can do anything, really anything, as long as you put your heart into it!

I'm sorry to hear that you are so depressed. It's tough with CF sometimes. On the crying thing, though, I don't cry, mostly because I am so dehydrated all the time I don't really have tears. It doesn't mean you don't feel stuff, you know? See if you can't get out there a bit more, find some support somewhere. Thinking of you!

dmac

Sorry to hear things have gotten you down. One of the other members mentioned exercise -- very important. Keep trying when you can. If its hard, then do walks. Get out of the house and walk. Another avenue, if you cannot get a job because you keep getting ill, then perhaps look into one of your local organizations such as Rotary or something. I joined a women's club that is all community oriented - we help women and children, victims of domestic abuse, help elderly, have scholoraships/fundraisers to help students etc. Donating your time to a worthy cause will help you feel better and you will be contributing in a meaningful way. I'm not up on men's organizations but you can find one somewhere I'm sure. Don't give up - we can all attest that some days are going to be a bitch to get through but the good days help us keep going. Be sure you are doing your meds and getting chest PT and so forth. Living with CF successfully requires work -- a lot of work for most of us. I'm now in my sixties and it has been a heck of a lot of work to get here. There were days I wondered why I should keep on trying. But then something good happens and it reminds me that I don't want to miss a minute of all the good that is still to come. Hang in there -- you have lots of support from your CF community. Our thoughts are with you.

Everyone has brought up a lot if good advice. My first instinct is to get a counselor, talk to the cf social worker even if it feels awkward. You need to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Who cares what others think about counseling. It is about you taking care of you. See a counselor, work on all your bottled up feelings that most "healthy" people don't understand. Then work on the next step to take care of yourself. After that you can look into a job, part time to start. Don't try to change 10 things at once make your goal to add 1 good treatment/habit/routine each week or two. Do what works for you the best way to keep you on track. Don't take on too much at one time. Trust me trying to change to much for "normal" people is too much, and leaves them open for failure. Trust me, I am not the best with everything either, it is called being human. I have the tendency to put work ahead of my own health and I struggle with adding better habits too. Good luck!

Oh and yes, I have gone to counseling at different times/struggles in life including with my husband who is a nurse and understands a lot about CF but we still have moments he just doesn't get it.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
KrakenKrunch,

Oh, woe is me. I can’t imagine a CFer or CF family that isn’t caught up in at least some self-pity. I also find it difficult to imagine how many CFers are trying to treat their own mental health when they would never consider self-treatment for physical issues. I think of a mental health counselor more like a physical therapist or a masseur/masseuse where you are pampered in the process. Someone that isn’t a family or close friend that will listen to whatever you have to say and most take a genuine interest in getting to know you and absolutely not judging you in any way, can be a valuable asset on your CF team.

Whether seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist, Priest or pastor is in one’s future has a lot to do with enlightenment. Not every place in the world nor in every home is up to admitting a mental health problem and seeing the appropriate professional for help. Everybody is vain when it comes to our mental state, or the state of our mental health. The elderly bare their teeth and fight with every tool to remain independent. Why? It isn’t pleasant to contemplate a life that more resembles the protective world we set up for infants. Most people are quite frankly embarrassed over the very idea of seeking the help of a mental health counselor. It is changing but at glacially slow rates. Fortunately the younger a person is, they are surrounded by a generation of peers and parents who find seeing a counselor more accepted and acceptable.

Catharsis is a natural and healthy process for a CFer to go through from time to time. Catharsis is an excellent word and maybe worth reading its definition in a good dictionary but it is similar to grief, self-evaluation and resetting or restarting the struggle of life, rolled up in a ball. Grieving things we’ve lost like lung function as well as being denied things that come easily to non CFers is legitimate grief. A person doesn’t have to die in order to have something to grieve or mourn over. And like death, many things will be missed even more with time. It is OK and natural to feel sadness over a multitude of things. Even then, we miss other people’s suffering if we’re watching our own too close.

Ask a fat girl out on a date. Believe me an obese co-ed peer could easily be suffering just as much if not more than you at the moment. Girls by nature are body conscious and by culture, overwhelmed with body images that were perfected in Photoshop. They know there is a time limit on certain physical assets and a problem with being heavy can feel like the world has squashed down on you. My point is two-fold, you are in a living sea of self-conscious, shy, awkward, smelly, snobby and generally normal young adults. You don’t have a particularly special bulls-eye on you T-shirt.

Feeling blue or having a catharsis isn’t necessarily depression. Anger, insomnia, irritability and other counterintuitive actions and feelings often accompany depression. Major depression is a brain disorder, not just a bad hand of cards. And they should be treated accordingly. Fold and start a new game if you’ve got a bad hand, see s psychiatrist for depression.

Anybody and in fact most everybody experiences depression without any brain disorder to blame it on. It is most often temporary and should be treated like an infection or broken bone. My bent toward a psychiatrist over a psychologist has to do with the complexity of medicines used in mental health in combination with CF and our special medications.

Specifically, many medicines such as anti-depressants, SSRI’s, mood stabilizers and neuroleptics are SALTS. An example, though an old one, Lithium salts are used in treating bipolar disorder and many practitioners subscribe to using near toxic levels of Lithium salts. Frequent blood tests are needed to keep a patient just below the toxic level.

You recognize the danger in suicidal thoughts or ideation. This isn’t always a dangerous situation. CFers aren’t given any special personality with the disease, we get the random inheritance of traits just like the rest of humanity. We do contemplate a life too short. This is natural and within reason, healthy.

Something to be aware of is the potential of a mental illness, a brain disorder in fact. A number of mental illnesses like bipolarity, major depression and schizophrenia most often develops between ages 18-26. Within a margin of a couple years on either side of this range, the vast majority of mental illness develops. In other words, it is very unlikely for a person to develop one of these illnesses in their forties or such. Perfectly at the wrong time in life, if there is any time more vulnerable, I don’t know of it. At the exact age young adults are testing their long flight feathers, the periods of independence can coincide with the onset of mental illness and can easily be missed or be poorly addressed until the disease is quite advanced.

Something I believe most CFers deal with is a constant state of physical agitation, we are stuck in a permanent fight or flight response. This is established by early adrenal burnout as well as every other stress hormone producing gland/organ. This ignites most our metabolism like few other conditions which accounts for a fair amount of the enormous caloric intake we require. It isn’t just digestive inefficiency, your engine is running full tilt. For most of us our minds are racing just like our bodies are racing. Being stressed by infection, pain and inefficiencies in our GI tract and pulmonary system puts us in a panic, literally. We have all the physical symptoms of an anxiety attack, panic attack, shot at and missed, s--- at and hit, full blown reaction of terror. And it is there 24/7. It is simply amazing that most CFers are fairly well balanced. Every so often those physical symptoms get the better of us and we experience the mental side of the panic our bodies are in.

You aren’t alone, and it will get better,

LL

W

windex125

LL that was magnificent reply, it doesn't leave me much to say. I am a older CF female will turn 60 this Dec. and have felt all of what you mentioned at one time or another. KK I understand yr. feelings as well we sort of get numb after awhile the constant care we have to do is draining mentally and physically. I just spent 2 weeks in the hosp. with yet a new problem pancreastis I was always PS now this, so I am now on enzymes, which my body is not doing so well with. CF the disease that keeps on giving. I am not good with excersice (or spelling) but I do enjoy walking at the beach after the sun has gone down. I love reading 2 things I never did as a younger person. So KK you have to try to find things that will bring you some joy. I as well did not have a good support system with my family when I was younger. I messed up a lot on treatments as well. But now of course take them very serious. You have yr. whole life ahead of you, we got dealt a bad hand of cards. Please try to turn things around for yrself, and remember we are all here for you. Pat-CF

L

Love Will Remember

I have bipolar 2 and CF also. Trust me, I have had my very fair share of days when suicide seemed like the only answer for me. I had a boyfriend who always had something negative to say about all of the appointments I had to go to. When he broke up with me, I thought that was it. I was done and this life wasn't for me anymore. But in all honesty, a significant other can not help you unless you help yourself first. In my opinion, happiness within yourself in the key. Then you can learn to accept and love certain things more so and grow from harsh experiences. I understand that these are just my opinions/thoughts and that not everyone will agree with them. We all have moments of weakness, just remember that you can overcome them and suicide is never the answer. We are all here for you.