FEF25-75 Pre & Post IBUPROFEN

Melissa75

Administrator
Some of you out there are doing PFTs at home and are able to get numbers for FEF25-75. Yesterday, when demo'ing out a portable spirometer at the cysticfibrosis.com home office, I got FEF25-75 numbers that were more than 20 percentage points better than what I get at home on the same machine or in the drs office (between 3/4 and 1 liter better).
The only difference I could account for was that I had taken Ibuprofen for a tweaked muscle.

Can you guys with home spirometry, who aren't on Ibuprofen permanently, do this experiment? Run your numbers, take some Ibuprofen, wait 30+ minutes, and rerun your numbers...then report change or no change in FEF25-75.

I'm curious about this, though I don't plan to hop on Advil 24/7. I want to mention it to my doctor and ask what it might mean, especially because when I do pre- and post- bronchodilator PFTs, I don't see a change in FEF25-75.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Melissa,
That is very interesting. Did the FEV1 # remain constant? Just curious your entire numbers were off? The machine? Very interesting.

Melissa75

Administrator
On the lower FEF25-75 days, my FEV1 was both up and down by several percentage points, like as much as up 3 and down 10 points. The PEFR (peak expiratory flow rate) also varied a lot, both up and down.

scarecrow

I take 2 ibuprofen every morning. Drs have said that that won't make a difference but my biggest problem is w/ inflamation in my lungs. The main purpose of ibuprofen is to act as an anti-inflamatory. I have taken other anti-inflamatories in the hospital and they tore my stomach up so bad that I had to stop taking them. I've been taking the ibuprofen for several months and haven't had any problems yet. In my opinion they help at least some.