FEV1 Meters

Nightwriter

I think one of the maddening things about this disease is there is no consistancy between anybody regarding diagnosis, treatment, medications, supplements, lifestyle recommendations (if any). Just reading people's posts, it is shocking at how the same exact symptoms are treated or even not treated between people.

This cheap little peak flow meter has helped me. And I can't see how it can hurt anybody. In my book, any information is better than no information. I have heard that if you ask, some clinics will give you one. If not, you can get one on-line for about $18.00 Of course, it would be nice if a doctor can guide you how to use it.

I can you an example of how I used it. There are two markers on the meter that you set showing a range that is supposed to be your normal (it might be your low normal and high normal) I think mine were between 350 and 400 or 450. When I started using it, it was in the low 300s, too low. I remember it dipping below 300 and I had to get a cortisone shot and I remember using that IVP machine. This only happened a couple of times before the meds started working and I was able to clean up my environment, etc... I was only allowed to do vigorous exercise if it were above 400. (I had to take 2 puffs before exercise). After a while, my peak flow started hitting 400 regularly and even now my range is between 400 and 450. So now, when I dip below 400, I start paying attention. Every machine is different. On my doctor's peak flow meter, all my numbers are higher.

I think it would be good if you can find a doctor who can determine the right numbers in your individual cases. But at any rate, charting peak flow a few times a day at the same time every day, can be very useful.

Nightwriter

I think one of the maddening things about this disease is there is no consistancy between anybody regarding diagnosis, treatment, medications, supplements, lifestyle recommendations (if any). Just reading people's posts, it is shocking at how the same exact symptoms are treated or even not treated between people.

This cheap little peak flow meter has helped me. And I can't see how it can hurt anybody. In my book, any information is better than no information. I have heard that if you ask, some clinics will give you one. If not, you can get one on-line for about $18.00 Of course, it would be nice if a doctor can guide you how to use it.

I can you an example of how I used it. There are two markers on the meter that you set showing a range that is supposed to be your normal (it might be your low normal and high normal) I think mine were between 350 and 400 or 450. When I started using it, it was in the low 300s, too low. I remember it dipping below 300 and I had to get a cortisone shot and I remember using that IVP machine. This only happened a couple of times before the meds started working and I was able to clean up my environment, etc... I was only allowed to do vigorous exercise if it were above 400. (I had to take 2 puffs before exercise). After a while, my peak flow started hitting 400 regularly and even now my range is between 400 and 450. So now, when I dip below 400, I start paying attention. Every machine is different. On my doctor's peak flow meter, all my numbers are higher.

I think it would be good if you can find a doctor who can determine the right numbers in your individual cases. But at any rate, charting peak flow a few times a day at the same time every day, can be very useful.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />I think one of the maddening things about this disease is there is no consistancy between anybody regarding diagnosis, treatment, medications, supplements, lifestyle recommendations (if any). Just reading people's posts, it is shocking at how the same exact symptoms are treated or even not treated between people.
<br />
<br />This cheap little peak flow meter has helped me. And I can't see how it can hurt anybody. In my book, any information is better than no information. I have heard that if you ask, some clinics will give you one. If not, you can get one on-line for about $18.00 Of course, it would be nice if a doctor can guide you how to use it.
<br />
<br />I can you an example of how I used it. There are two markers on the meter that you set showing a range that is supposed to be your normal (it might be your low normal and high normal) I think mine were between 350 and 400 or 450. When I started using it, it was in the low 300s, too low. I remember it dipping below 300 and I had to get a cortisone shot and I remember using that IVP machine. This only happened a couple of times before the meds started working and I was able to clean up my environment, etc... I was only allowed to do vigorous exercise if it were above 400. (I had to take 2 puffs before exercise). After a while, my peak flow started hitting 400 regularly and even now my range is between 400 and 450. So now, when I dip below 400, I start paying attention. Every machine is different. On my doctor's peak flow meter, all my numbers are higher.
<br />
<br />I think it would be good if you can find a doctor who can determine the right numbers in your individual cases. But at any rate, charting peak flow a few times a day at the same time every day, can be very useful.
<br />