fev1 or fvc

ihatecf

Hey all,

I was wondering which one is more important fev1 or fvc, they both suck for me ( low 20s) but fev1 always tends to be like 5 % higher?

L

luke

both are important but the FEV1 is what dr's normally look at for CF and other "obstructive" lung disease. I actually have never seen anyone with a higher FEV1 than FVC. That is a bit unsual.

LauraM

fev1 measures the amount of air breathed out in the first second, whilst fvc is the total breathed out. It's impossible for fev1 to be higher than fvc unless you're sucking the air back into your lungs from the machine. Maybe that's partly why your blows are low - I'd go over your technique with your respiratory physiotherapists

back to your question - I'd say they are both important. fvc measures how much you can fit into your lungs but fev1 shows the rate - and therefore whether there's an obstruction as the air is being expired

Emeraldmirror

My fvc is usually in the... high 50's low 60's, but my fev1 is down at maybe low 50's. fvc just shows how strong your muscles are when you blow out, your fev1 basically shows how much you're blowing out, it's usually common for your fvc to be higher than your fev1... or at least that's what the doctor told me

JazzysMom

My doctors office started using a new spirometer on Tuesday. I was only the 3rd person to use it. It is extremely sensitive, but it helped me to connect my thinking to my breathing better. Before when I was about to take the deep breath before the quick exhale I would exhale before breathing deep after my mouth was on the mouthpiece (Got that?) which actually caused a delay in the exhalation. The new spirometer wouldnt let the test continued if I did that exhale first. I was "forced" to exhale before putting the mouthpiece in my mouth & quickly inhale deeply and the blow. It made me do the test better than what I did before because I didnt have that "lapse" time preparing. Does anyone understand what I am trying to say? LOL

anonymous

Yea, I hear what your saying, I did a machine like that too, but now I use another new machine up their that has pictures, one of my favs is the three little houses(pigs), and im the big bad wolf, the whole idea of that is to try and blow all the houses down. I think that is a lot funner to do out of all the other blowing machines I have done.

Jennifer (PrincessJDC)

Peace, Love and Happiness

JazzysMom

I love having a "goal" to reach for that you can literally see. It seems to make it easier for be to blow every bit of air out.............although I dont know if I want to be known as the big bad wolf (HOWWWLLLLLLL) lol

Marjolein

I think that your fev1 is what they look for the most. At least that is what they look for the first concidering transplant. But bot are important i think. My fev1 is 17%. I don't even know what my fvc is.. i'll have a look next time.

Melissa i don't really know what you mean with the new test.. I always have to do a few normal breaths first with my mouth on the mouthpiece.. Don't know if i could do a test with breathing in, then put my mouth on the mouthpiece and exhale (if that is what you mean). Speak to you soon on msn!

xxx, Marjolein