FEV1%?

Deeonlyone

Im not too educated on what the FEV1% means. My doctor talked to me about it but I didnt quite get it? He says Im 60% is that bad? what is the normal for a cf'er?

Deeonlyone

Im not too educated on what the FEV1% means. My doctor talked to me about it but I didnt quite get it? He says Im 60% is that bad? what is the normal for a cf'er?

Deeonlyone

Deeonlyone

Deeonlyone

CFkitty

I have to ask, why not ask the doctor to explain it, if you didn't understand? He/she is the best resource.There are a lot of websites that explain Pulmonary Function Testing and the results.

People with CF can have PFT results up to more than 100% of the expected test results. The "expected" numbers are based on your height, weight and age. Your "number" may be "good" or "bad" relative to what your previous results have been. For example, have your PFT results been trending down? Going up? Do they go up and down? Are you currently "sick" with an active infection?

I highly suggest getting and keeping copies of your PFT results.

Google any of the terms below and you will find a lot of info, including what FVC, FEV1, etc., means. The best sites to do general medical information searches are run by government health agencies, medical journals, medical organizations (like the American Lung Association), etc. I'd do the work for you, but you need to start advocating for yourself and learning where to find accurate info. The more info you have, the better you can take care of yourself.

Spirometry
Pulmonary Function Test
PFT results
FVC
FEV1

CFkitty

I have to ask, why not ask the doctor to explain it, if you didn't understand? He/she is the best resource.There are a lot of websites that explain Pulmonary Function Testing and the results.

People with CF can have PFT results up to more than 100% of the expected test results. The "expected" numbers are based on your height, weight and age. Your "number" may be "good" or "bad" relative to what your previous results have been. For example, have your PFT results been trending down? Going up? Do they go up and down? Are you currently "sick" with an active infection?

Google any of the terms below and you will find a lot of info, including what FVC, FEV1, etc., means. The best sites to do general medical information searches are run by government health agencies, medical journals, medical organizations (like the American Lung Association), etc. I'd do the work for you, but you need to start advocating for yourself and learning where to find accurate info. The more info you have, the better you can take care of yourself.

Spirometry
Pulmonary Function Test
PFT results
FVC
FEV1

CFkitty

Spirometry
Pulmonary Function Test
PFT results
FVC
FEV1

CFkitty

Spirometry
Pulmonary Function Test
PFT results
FVC
FEV1

CFkitty

<br />
<br />People with CF can have PFT results up to more than 100% of the expected test results. The "expected" numbers are based on your height, weight and age. Your "number" may be "good" or "bad" relative to what your previous results have been. For example, have your PFT results been trending down? Going up? Do they go up and down? Are you currently "sick" with an active infection?
<br />
<br />I highly suggest getting and keeping copies of your PFT results.
<br />
<br />Google any of the terms below and you will find a lot of info, including what FVC, FEV1, etc., means. The best sites to do general medical information searches are run by government health agencies, medical journals, medical organizations (like the American Lung Association), etc. I'd do the work for you, but you need to start advocating for yourself and learning where to find accurate info. The more info you have, the better you can take care of yourself.
<br />
<br />Spirometry
<br />Pulmonary Function Test
<br />PFT results
<br />FVC
<br />FEV1

lmattaway

FEV1 = Forced Expiratory Volume in the first second. The volume of air that can be forced out in one second after taking a deep breath.

The 60% I believe, is based on your height/weight and age. There's a specific calculation they do to get the percentage, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

As far as what's normal... well I think that varies for each person. You always want your FEV1% to be as high as possible. For someone who struggles to stay at 50% a reading of 60% would be good. But for someone like me who typically gets 100-105%, 60% would be very bad. I would encourage you to ask your doc what steps you can take to raise your FEV1%. I think most people shoot to keep their numbers in the 80-100 range. It's important to have your FEV1 measured multiple times a year, so that you can figure out your baseline and get treatment if it dips below that.

lmattaway

FEV1 = Forced Expiratory Volume in the first second. The volume of air that can be forced out in one second after taking a deep breath.

The 60% I believe, is based on your height/weight and age. There's a specific calculation they do to get the percentage, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

As far as what's normal... well I think that varies for each person. You always want your FEV1% to be as high as possible. For someone who struggles to stay at 50% a reading of 60% would be good. But for someone like me who typically gets 100-105%, 60% would be very bad. I would encourage you to ask your doc what steps you can take to raise your FEV1%. I think most people shoot to keep their numbers in the 80-100 range. It's important to have your FEV1 measured multiple times a year, so that you can figure out your baseline and get treatment if it dips below that.

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

<br />
<br />The 60% I believe, is based on your height/weight and age. There's a specific calculation they do to get the percentage, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
<br />
<br />As far as what's normal... well I think that varies for each person. You always want your FEV1% to be as high as possible. For someone who struggles to stay at 50% a reading of 60% would be good. But for someone like me who typically gets 100-105%, 60% would be very bad. I would encourage you to ask your doc what steps you can take to raise your FEV1%. I think most people shoot to keep their numbers in the 80-100 range. It's important to have your FEV1 measured multiple times a year, so that you can figure out your baseline and get treatment if it dips below that.

LouLou

Everyone has given you some good info. I'll just add that a 60% FEV1 is considered moderate lung disease. You'll likely still be able to do most things you did when you had a higher FEV but you may get tired more easily. Listen to your body, push it but also give it the rest it deserves to recover.

Congrats on taking more ownership of your disease. I bet you can get it up 10%if you haven't been pushing the limits with exercise and lung clearance in general.

Stay positive!

LouLou

Everyone has given you some good info. I'll just add that a 60% FEV1 is considered moderate lung disease. You'll likely still be able to do most things you did when you had a higher FEV but you may get tired more easily. Listen to your body, push it but also give it the rest it deserves to recover.

Congrats on taking more ownership of your disease. I bet you can get it up 10%if you haven't been pushing the limits with exercise and lung clearance in general.

Stay positive!

LouLou

Stay positive!

LouLou

Stay positive!

LouLou

<br />
<br />Congrats on taking more ownership of your disease. I bet you can get it up 10%if you haven't been pushing the limits with exercise and lung clearance in general.
<br />
<br />Stay positive!