fevers - who gets 'em

ymikhale

Ifevers - who gets 'em

My dd, who is 3 y/o gets fever when she catches PA. It happened 2 times, she had no symptoms, no cough, so I took her to the ped who diagnosed "isolated fever"... only to find out on the next culture that she grew PA. So from now on if she gets fever I take her for a culture.
<br />
<br />as to the temperature, the first time she had 39C (not sure in Farenheit), this time 38C)

longhorn4life

I also culture NTM strain abscessus.

(Funny side story, I was diagnosed with this before I was diagnosed with CF. The pulmonologists were all freaking out, talking about putting me on PICC lines and 5-8 different antibiotics at once and saying how dangerous and deadly this disease was. Then when I was diagnosed with CF a month later the CF doctor felt it was unimportant to treat the NTM.)

Anyways, I never get "fevers". Occasionally I'll feel as if I have a fever. My body feels hot to me and I start shivering and feeling dizzy and out of it. But when I checked my temperature it was never over 99.something. I used to get what is designated as an "actual" fever when I was younger but I haven't in years. I also stopped checking my temperature, though, as it always proved fruitless since every time I did I was "fine".

longhorn4life

(Funny side story, I was diagnosed with this before I was diagnosed with CF. The pulmonologists were all freaking out, talking about putting me on PICC lines and 5-8 different antibiotics at once and saying how dangerous and deadly this disease was. Then when I was diagnosed with CF a month later the CF doctor felt it was unimportant to treat the NTM.)

Anyways, I never get "fevers". Occasionally I'll feel as if I have a fever. My body feels hot to me and I start shivering and feeling dizzy and out of it. But when I checked my temperature it was never over 99.something. I used to get what is designated as an "actual" fever when I was younger but I haven't in years. I also stopped checking my temperature, though, as it always proved fruitless since every time I did I was "fine".

longhorn4life

<br />
<br />(Funny side story, I was diagnosed with this before I was diagnosed with CF. The pulmonologists were all freaking out, talking about putting me on PICC lines and 5-8 different antibiotics at once and saying how dangerous and deadly this disease was. Then when I was diagnosed with CF a month later the CF doctor felt it was unimportant to treat the NTM.)
<br />
<br />Anyways, I never get "fevers". Occasionally I'll feel as if I have a fever. My body feels hot to me and I start shivering and feeling dizzy and out of it. But when I checked my temperature it was never over 99.something. I used to get what is designated as an "actual" fever when I was younger but I haven't in years. I also stopped checking my temperature, though, as it always proved fruitless since every time I did I was "fine".

Melissa75

Administrator
Yes. Low fever + body aches and chills and lung pain have plagued me, and also coincided with me culturing M. gordonae. But that is an NTM no one is sure causes infections. I definitely felt weird for complaining of such misery to docs while running a 99.3 "fever."

Melissa75

Administrator
Yes. Low fever + body aches and chills and lung pain have plagued me, and also coincided with me culturing M. gordonae. But that is an NTM no one is sure causes infections. I definitely felt weird for complaining of such misery to docs while running a 99.3 "fever."

Melissa75

Administrator

Jana

This is interesting because I'm the same way. My "normal temp" seems to be quite low. These days, I often run low-grade fevers that I can feel right away. Sometimes I even feel feverish, but the thermometer says my temp. is normal. When I'm sick, though, I often don't run a fever. In fact, it seems like it tends to go up when I start abx.

And here I always just thought I was really strange and perhaps a bit wimpy =)

Jana

This is interesting because I'm the same way. My "normal temp" seems to be quite low. These days, I often run low-grade fevers that I can feel right away. Sometimes I even feel feverish, but the thermometer says my temp. is normal. When I'm sick, though, I often don't run a fever. In fact, it seems like it tends to go up when I start abx.

And here I always just thought I was really strange and perhaps a bit wimpy =)

Jana

<br />
<br />And here I always just thought I was really strange and perhaps a bit wimpy =)

hmw

Emily has been running intermittent low-grade fevers for more than 6mo now... it's driving me crazy because it affects her QOL and has been responsible for her missing a lot of school and no one seems to know why it's happening. It happens MORE around the time of her exacerbations, but not always.

We get the same line as some of you... 'CF bugs don't tend to cause fevers' which to me seems crazy. Why wouldn't they?? As far as we know all she cultures is staph, but it's becoming more difficult to manage; it's resistant to most orals now (her only option w/ her last exacerbation was Levaquin.) Her normal tends to be high 97's/low 98 and 'fever' is anywhere from 99-101. Even low fever can leave her very worn out. Even with her most severe exacerbations she rarely hits 102 and some days she doesn't have fever at all.

Oh, and she knows when she has a fever and will ask me to take her temp- and she's only 9. She's never really explained to me how she knows, although I can tell she gets intermittent chills/feeling hot and that drives her crazy, but it's apparently quite obvious to her at even a slight degree. She also gets that flushed/glassy-eyed look with even slight fevers.

hmw

Emily has been running intermittent low-grade fevers for more than 6mo now... it's driving me crazy because it affects her QOL and has been responsible for her missing a lot of school and no one seems to know why it's happening. It happens MORE around the time of her exacerbations, but not always.

We get the same line as some of you... 'CF bugs don't tend to cause fevers' which to me seems crazy. Why wouldn't they?? As far as we know all she cultures is staph, but it's becoming more difficult to manage; it's resistant to most orals now (her only option w/ her last exacerbation was Levaquin.) Her normal tends to be high 97's/low 98 and 'fever' is anywhere from 99-101. Even low fever can leave her very worn out. Even with her most severe exacerbations she rarely hits 102 and some days she doesn't have fever at all.

Oh, and she knows when she has a fever and will ask me to take her temp- and she's only 9. She's never really explained to me how she knows, although I can tell she gets intermittent chills/feeling hot and that drives her crazy, but it's apparently quite obvious to her at even a slight degree. She also gets that flushed/glassy-eyed look with even slight fevers.

hmw

<br />
<br />We get the same line as some of you... 'CF bugs don't tend to cause fevers' which to me seems crazy. Why wouldn't they?? As far as we know all she cultures is staph, but it's becoming more difficult to manage; it's resistant to most orals now (her only option w/ her last exacerbation was Levaquin.) Her normal tends to be high 97's/low 98 and 'fever' is anywhere from 99-101. Even low fever can leave her very worn out. Even with her most severe exacerbations she rarely hits 102 and some days she doesn't have fever at all.
<br />
<br />Oh, and she knows when she has a fever and will ask me to take her temp- and she's only 9. She's never really explained to me how she knows, although I can tell she gets intermittent chills/feeling hot and that drives her crazy, but it's apparently quite obvious to her at even a slight degree. She also gets that flushed/glassy-eyed look with even slight fevers.

Nervous1

In the last year or two I have started suffering from low grade fevers similar to what others here have described. I too typically have a lower body temperature. When it goes even slightly over "normal" I feel really sick.

My doctor is treating me under the assumption I have PA, although we've never succeeded in getting a culture.

Nervous1

In the last year or two I have started suffering from low grade fevers similar to what others here have described. I too typically have a lower body temperature. When it goes even slightly over "normal" I feel really sick.

My doctor is treating me under the assumption I have PA, although we've never succeeded in getting a culture.

Nervous1

<br />
<br />My doctor is treating me under the assumption I have PA, although we've never succeeded in getting a culture.