Fireplaces and coughing up blood?

colinmaydahl

Hi- I just got out of the hospital after a lovely 2 week stay and my pft's are up, I'm on top of my nebs, exercise, all of it. But since I've been home I have brought up some small amounts of blood. I didn't bring up any blood when I was getting filtered hospital air and never made it outside for more than 20 min. Could it be smoke from fireplaces?

We don't have a fire place but other houses around us do. We live east of Sacramento in the foothills of the Sierra and all of the fireplace smoke gets blown in from Sacramento and seems to settle at our elevation.

Any ideas?

Colin 28m with CF

colinmaydahl

Hi- I just got out of the hospital after a lovely 2 week stay and my pft's are up, I'm on top of my nebs, exercise, all of it. But since I've been home I have brought up some small amounts of blood. I didn't bring up any blood when I was getting filtered hospital air and never made it outside for more than 20 min. Could it be smoke from fireplaces?

We don't have a fire place but other houses around us do. We live east of Sacramento in the foothills of the Sierra and all of the fireplace smoke gets blown in from Sacramento and seems to settle at our elevation.

Any ideas?

Colin 28m with CF

colinmaydahl

<br />
<br />We don't have a fire place but other houses around us do. We live east of Sacramento in the foothills of the Sierra and all of the fireplace smoke gets blown in from Sacramento and seems to settle at our elevation.
<br />
<br />Any ideas?
<br />
<br />Colin 28m with CF

kmhbeauty

Its hard to say if that would be the cause. I will say that I use to cough up blood about once or twice a year for around three years. I seemed to do it when I was really run down and wasnt getting enough sleep. I am on a healthy diet now, dont drink, and get as much sleep as I can. It hasnt happened in a long time now.

kmhbeauty

Its hard to say if that would be the cause. I will say that I use to cough up blood about once or twice a year for around three years. I seemed to do it when I was really run down and wasnt getting enough sleep. I am on a healthy diet now, dont drink, and get as much sleep as I can. It hasnt happened in a long time now.

kmhbeauty

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter (see if you can search old posts of hers) has had hemoptysis from fires around LA. I haven't lit a fire in my house since my lungs became a problem. Construction, smoke, heavy traffic smells all increase my chest tightness and mucus production. I cannot pinpoint what triggered one of my lung bleeds. The other was a routine bronchoscopy that turned into a drs' nightmare ;-)

BTW, the pork tacos, followed by pork sandwiches, followed by pork spooned into my mouth was GREAT. Thanks for the recipe. I bought 3.5 pounds of pork loin (not "tender") from Whole Foods at 4.99/lb and a jar of pomegranate mole for 3.50. The end result was two dinners for five and a lunch for 1 (me!).

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter (see if you can search old posts of hers) has had hemoptysis from fires around LA. I haven't lit a fire in my house since my lungs became a problem. Construction, smoke, heavy traffic smells all increase my chest tightness and mucus production. I cannot pinpoint what triggered one of my lung bleeds. The other was a routine bronchoscopy that turned into a drs' nightmare ;-)

BTW, the pork tacos, followed by pork sandwiches, followed by pork spooned into my mouth was GREAT. Thanks for the recipe. I bought 3.5 pounds of pork loin (not "tender") from Whole Foods at 4.99/lb and a jar of pomegranate mole for 3.50. The end result was two dinners for five and a lunch for 1 (me!).

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />BTW, the pork tacos, followed by pork sandwiches, followed by pork spooned into my mouth was GREAT. Thanks for the recipe. I bought 3.5 pounds of pork loin (not "tender") from Whole Foods at 4.99/lb and a jar of pomegranate mole for 3.50. The end result was two dinners for five and a lunch for 1 (me!).

carly23

This is interesting as I myself notice I dont have to be having smoke blown on me but the smell of bonfires , fireplaces etc. Set me off to have lung bleeds to and my lungs will get sore and make feel like i cant breathe :-(

carly23

This is interesting as I myself notice I dont have to be having smoke blown on me but the smell of bonfires , fireplaces etc. Set me off to have lung bleeds to and my lungs will get sore and make feel like i cant breathe :-(

carly23

rpcvchina

We got an air purifier to put next to the wood stove. It seems to help a lot.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4">http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4</a>

rpcvchina

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4">http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4</a>

rpcvchina

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4">http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Look4</a>

JennifersHope

Hey,

Though I don't have CF, I can not tolerate smoke from fire places or smoke from outdoor fires at all, I don't cough up blood but I cough really hard and have very irritated airways.

Good for you for staying on top of your nebs and stuff.

JennifersHope

Hey,

Though I don't have CF, I can not tolerate smoke from fire places or smoke from outdoor fires at all, I don't cough up blood but I cough really hard and have very irritated airways.

Good for you for staying on top of your nebs and stuff.