First CF Hemoptysis

A

Allansarmy

Hello Staciainaz, yes just like others have mentioned. Hemoptysis can definitely be caused by Hypertonic saline and or Pulmozyme. Especially when you use them back to back as most do. My son who is 15 has never quit experienced this yet. However my wife's sister did. So I wouldn't worry too much. You should contact your doctor and explain what happened. They may have you cut back a little until this irritation / inflammation goes down just a little.

A

Allansarmy

Hello Staciainaz, yes just like others have mentioned. Hemoptysis can definitely be caused by Hypertonic saline and or Pulmozyme. Especially when you use them back to back as most do. My son who is 15 has never quit experienced this yet. However my wife's sister did. So I wouldn't worry too much. You should contact your doctor and explain what happened. They may have you cut back a little until this irritation / inflammation goes down just a little.

imported_Momto2

Does anyone know why some people are more prone to hemoptysis than others? It doesnt seem to be directly related to FEV. I've know some folks who had pretty high FEV, but were just prone to bleeding. Any ideas?

imported_Momto2

Does anyone know why some people are more prone to hemoptysis than others? It doesnt seem to be directly related to FEV. I've know some folks who had pretty high FEV, but were just prone to bleeding. Any ideas?

CyrilCrodius

UNCLoveCF : Wow. Your story is scary :S I hope that bad of an episode never happens to me. I'm glad to read though that it seems like you can easily survive such a bad episode. Then again, you have good PFT's. I might not be as lucky if it ever happens. I know a CFer who died of a lung hemorrhage... Momto2 : It probably has to do with inflammation. I have always been bad with taking my anti-inflammtory inhalers. As I explained in my previous post, such things may build up over time - increased lung arteries - due to chronic inflammation. Maybe vitamin intake has a lot to do with that. BelEAche mentioned vitamin K, which I find VERY interesting, because I have often lacked vitamin K (blurry urine).
Edit : <a href="messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=31740">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=31740</a> This thread is about the relationship betweek vit K and hemoptysis.

LouLou

One of the wisest doctors I ever saw (from 2005-2008) put what he referred to as a "hemoptysis plan" in place after seeing me the first day and me telling him my history of being a bleeder. While I never had had a bleed that required an emergency procedure, he wanted me, and more importantly my caretaker, to know what to do with me if I was bleeding badly. It was quite simple. If I had uncontrolled bleeding that wasn't stopping and had amounted to 1 cup (though between you and I would start the process of getting there if you have 1/2 c.). Call pager or cell and let him know I am in route to IR (interventional radiology) and call doctor on call and report same thing (ie. CF patient, your name, DOB, cell phone to reach your caregiver, hosp you are reporting to, and that you have uncontrolled, massive hemoptysis). Then proceed to IR (don't drive yourself as you may black out from lack of blood), go right to IR, skip ER. Sadly, it was reported on this site, that massive hemopytsis is one of the leading causes of death in cfers so lesson learned is be prepared!

LouLou

One of the wisest doctors I ever saw (from 2005-2008) put what he referred to as a "hemoptysis plan" in place after seeing me the first day and me telling him my history of being a bleeder. While I never had had a bleed that required an emergency procedure, he wanted me, and more importantly my caretaker, to know what to do with me if I was bleeding badly. It was quite simple. If I had uncontrolled bleeding that wasn't stopping and had amounted to 1 cup (though between you and I would start the process of getting there if you have 1/2 c.). Call pager or cell and let him know I am in route to IR (interventional radiology) and call doctor on call and report same thing (ie. CF patient, your name, DOB, cell phone to reach your caregiver, hosp you are reporting to, and that you have uncontrolled, massive hemoptysis). Then proceed to IR (don't drive yourself as you may black out from lack of blood), go right to IR, skip ER. Sadly, it was reported on this site, that massive hemopytsis is one of the leading causes of death in cfers so lesson learned is be prepared!