first ct scan

tuttimama

We are taking Kaylee in for her first sinus ct scan this week (she has had 4 sinus infections in 4 months). We are a little apprehensive about what to expect. When we made the appt., we were told that she would need to lay still on a table, inside the big machine for 15 min (she is only 4). If she is unable to be still then they will sedate her. This really scares her father and I.
I would really appreciate hearing about any other experiences or advise.

Thank you

tuttimama

We are taking Kaylee in for her first sinus ct scan this week (she has had 4 sinus infections in 4 months). We are a little apprehensive about what to expect. When we made the appt., we were told that she would need to lay still on a table, inside the big machine for 15 min (she is only 4). If she is unable to be still then they will sedate her. This really scares her father and I.

Thank you

tuttimama

Thank you

tuttimama

Thank you

tuttimama

<br />I would really appreciate hearing about any other experiences or advise.
<br />
<br />Thank you

Buckeye

My son has had a few CT scans for various things, but when he had his sinus one it took maybe 5 minutes tops. The CT scan isn't the small claustrophobic tube thing like an MRI, it's a table that slides back and forth inside a fairly big circular thing (my scientific explanation). At our hospital they have a velcro blanket like thing that they lay on and their head fits inside some blocks that keep it pretty immobile. Then they get the velcro blanket wrapped around their arms and legs so they are pretty much secured in there. I wouldn't think they would have to use sedation unless the child absolutely freaks out. And she should be able take a stuffed animal in the CT with her or listen to music if that would distract her.

Buckeye

My son has had a few CT scans for various things, but when he had his sinus one it took maybe 5 minutes tops. The CT scan isn't the small claustrophobic tube thing like an MRI, it's a table that slides back and forth inside a fairly big circular thing (my scientific explanation). At our hospital they have a velcro blanket like thing that they lay on and their head fits inside some blocks that keep it pretty immobile. Then they get the velcro blanket wrapped around their arms and legs so they are pretty much secured in there. I wouldn't think they would have to use sedation unless the child absolutely freaks out. And she should be able take a stuffed animal in the CT with her or listen to music if that would distract her.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

My son has had a few CT scans for various things, but when he had his sinus one it took maybe 5 minutes tops. The CT scan isn't the small claustrophobic tube thing like an MRI, it's a table that slides back and forth inside a fairly big circular thing (my scientific explanation). At our hospital they have a velcro blanket like thing that they lay on and their head fits inside some blocks that keep it pretty immobile. Then they get the velcro blanket wrapped around their arms and legs so they are pretty much secured in there. <p>I wouldn't think they would have to use sedation unless the child absolutely freaks out. And she should be able take a stuffed animal in the CT with her or listen to music if that would distract her.

folione

Adding to what Pam said, my son had a CT at around age 3 or 4 and they let us stay in the room with him (wearing lead jackets) and hold his hand right up until the machine did its thing. The actual scan is really short - most of the 15 minutes or so spent on the table was getting ready. Our boy had his CT after a bronchoscopy so was on the coming-out side of being sedated for that.

The sedations my son has had have never been a problem except for the fact that it involves a needle stick, which he of course hates.

folione

Adding to what Pam said, my son had a CT at around age 3 or 4 and they let us stay in the room with him (wearing lead jackets) and hold his hand right up until the machine did its thing. The actual scan is really short - most of the 15 minutes or so spent on the table was getting ready. Our boy had his CT after a bronchoscopy so was on the coming-out side of being sedated for that.

The sedations my son has had have never been a problem except for the fact that it involves a needle stick, which he of course hates.

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />The sedations my son has had have never been a problem except for the fact that it involves a needle stick, which he of course hates.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has had two ct scans and a dtp one in which he had to use a nebulizer to inhale a radioactive isotope and lay still for a scan. He liked that one 'cuz he got to pick out a dvd and watch it while laying down. That one took much longer than the other two, but he had so much fun he asked when he could go back (weirdo!)

The other ct scans took just a couple of minutes. He thought the scanner looked like a giant donut. I think DH stood on one end and held his foot and I stood near his head.

He didn't have to have iv contrast for any of them, though they thought he might have to last summer for an upper chest series. But he was able to lay still and they got what they needed without his having to go NPO or get a needle stick.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has had two ct scans and a dtp one in which he had to use a nebulizer to inhale a radioactive isotope and lay still for a scan. He liked that one 'cuz he got to pick out a dvd and watch it while laying down. That one took much longer than the other two, but he had so much fun he asked when he could go back (weirdo!)

The other ct scans took just a couple of minutes. He thought the scanner looked like a giant donut. I think DH stood on one end and held his foot and I stood near his head.

He didn't have to have iv contrast for any of them, though they thought he might have to last summer for an upper chest series. But he was able to lay still and they got what they needed without his having to go NPO or get a needle stick.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />The other ct scans took just a couple of minutes. He thought the scanner looked like a giant donut. I think DH stood on one end and held his foot and I stood near his head.
<br />
<br />He didn't have to have iv contrast for any of them, though they thought he might have to last summer for an upper chest series. But he was able to lay still and they got what they needed without his having to go NPO or get a needle stick.