first culture of pseudomonas -Putida and Fluorescens ..

croomabu

Hello everyone,

My sweet girl just turned 3 and just cultured pseudomonas -Putida and Fluorescens for the first time. I am dissappointed but the clinic says there is nothing to be alarmed at and will just watch it ?

I should add we are attending a new clinic and they seem to have a more "wait and see" approach than out last one ..

anyone else have any input ;-)??

she also cultured staph but has done so in the past .. however she is doing fine( right on the 50% for a while which we are working on ) she had a runny nose before this culture which i feel was sinus related ..

thanks as always for you words of wisdom

cheers !

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My daughter hasn't cultured PA, yet... but I'm sure I would be demanding some kind of treatment to try to eradicate it. I thought there had been a study to see what treatment was best. Pretty sure it involved taking cipro, along with doing several rounds of tobi.

Best of luck in finding the answers you need.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I agree with Terri. My understanding is that "best practice" is to try to erradicate psedo on first culture. I believe it is unclear whether Tobi alone or Tobi and Cipro are best. I might be wrong on what the drug combo debate is, but definitely they should be trying to erradicate psedomonas with something. Good luck.

mysticrose

When my son first cultured PA at 6 months he was put on Tobi and Cipro. He hasn't cultured it since, he is 10 now. They told us some times it works some times it doesn't. Good luck I hope you little one gets to feeling better quickly and you can get some answers.

Jen mom to 4 kiddos. 3w/cf and 1 lucky red head.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS cultured pseudomonas aerginosa (PA) when he was 3 months old and was put on Tobi right away. A few years ago he DID culture pseudomonas Fluorescens and at the time his doctor didn't change anything. He was still doing Tobi every other month, was on septra due to a culture of Steno. Maltophilia and azithromycin. However, a few weeks later, DS was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction and the doctor decided since we were already in house for a couple weeks, to have him do a clean out --- IV antibiotics during his hospital stay. Hasn't cultured psedomonas Fluorescens since.

CrisDopher

Can I just point out that croomabu says the cultures are pseudomonas putida and pseudomonas Fluorescens, and did NOT mention pseudomonas aerginosa? Not all pseudomonas is PA!!

These strains of pseudo may or may not be a serious problem. And culturing anything is certainly cause for concern. But pushing the Big Red Button simply because of similar names isn't wise, either. I urge all of you to read up on each of the three species of pseduo mentioned in this thread and their relative dangers.