First Time PICC line

Sarah2691

I'm 20 years old and I haven't been hospitalized since I was two months old. I was told that I should go on IV antibiotics because I wasn't able to keep up with oral antibiotics and I was vomiting them. Should I say yes to the PICC line? They seem to cause more trouble than good with infections and blood clots. Why can't I just have a normal IV?<div><br></div><div><br></div>

Sarah2691

I'm 20 years old and I haven't been hospitalized since I was two months old. I was told that I should go on IV antibiotics because I wasn't able to keep up with oral antibiotics and I was vomiting them. Should I say yes to the PICC line? They seem to cause more trouble than good with infections and blood clots. Why can't I just have a normal IV?<br><br>

Sarah2691

I'm 20 years old and I haven't been hospitalized since I was two months old. I was told that I should go on IV antibiotics because I wasn't able to keep up with oral antibiotics and I was vomiting them. Should I say yes to the PICC line? They seem to cause more trouble than good with infections and blood clots. Why can't I just have a normal IV?<br><br>

Printer

You will be on IVs for 7 to 14 days. IV lines are only ok for a few days, then they give you problems. The PICC is the way to go.

Bill

Printer

You will be on IVs for 7 to 14 days. IV lines are only ok for a few days, then they give you problems. The PICC is the way to go.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Bill

ej0820

depending on what you're on antibiotic-wise, some meds are really harsh on peripheral veins and only allow regular IVs to last a day or so. I've always had that problem. A PICC line will allow you to use one line the whole time you're on abx. I've met CFers who prefer regular IVs and just have them replaced every day or so...not me, no sir!

ej0820

depending on what you're on antibiotic-wise, some meds are really harsh on peripheral veins and only allow regular IVs to last a day or so. I've always had that problem. A PICC line will allow you to use one line the whole time you're on abx. I've met CFers who prefer regular IVs and just have them replaced every day or so...not me, no sir!

ej0820

<br />

CFdaddy

My daughter is 2 and has had 8 Picc lines. We request them when we get hospitalized. you can draw blood from them too for labs also which makes it easier when its in. Also, if your hospital allows it you can go home with a picc. with the iv most of the antibiotics are really hard on the veins and they usually lasted on her for 2 days, not so good if you have a 14 day course. Hope that helps if you have any more questions regarding a picc you can always message me

CFdaddy

My daughter is 2 and has had 8 Picc lines. We request them when we get hospitalized. you can draw blood from them too for labs also which makes it easier when its in. Also, if your hospital allows it you can go home with a picc. with the iv most of the antibiotics are really hard on the veins and they usually lasted on her for 2 days, not so good if you have a 14 day course. Hope that helps if you have any more questions regarding a picc you can always message me

CFdaddy

Jana

I think you'll much prefer the PICC line. While there are always questions on here about problems with them, that really is not the majority of the time--it's just what you hear about. Before going to a port, I had a lot of PICC lines, and only one of them became infected and caused a blood clot. I think you'll find it's not bad at all. Good luck!

Jana

I think you'll much prefer the PICC line. While there are always questions on here about problems with them, that really is not the majority of the time--it's just what you hear about. Before going to a port, I had a lot of PICC lines, and only one of them became infected and caused a blood clot. I think you'll find it's not bad at all. Good luck!