First Time Using Nebulizer

rosesixtyfive

Okay, I just tried to use the nebulizer for the first time on three month old Sam. I was upset because I think it really scared him - all the steam coming out, having something on his face, and the noise. I quit before I finished. He is inhaling hypteronic saline twice a day. This was something I requested because the new theory is that if you have hypertonic saline before lung problems set in, it may reduce the number of infections. Any suggestions for making this less traumatic for a baby?
Thanks,
rosesixtyfive,
proud mother of Sam (double delta f508), also mother of Robin, 4 years old, no CF

rosesixtyfive

Okay, I just tried to use the nebulizer for the first time on three month old Sam. I was upset because I think it really scared him - all the steam coming out, having something on his face, and the noise. I quit before I finished. He is inhaling hypteronic saline twice a day. This was something I requested because the new theory is that if you have hypertonic saline before lung problems set in, it may reduce the number of infections. Any suggestions for making this less traumatic for a baby?
Thanks,
rosesixtyfive,
proud mother of Sam (double delta f508), also mother of Robin, 4 years old, no CF

rosesixtyfive

Thanks,
rosesixtyfive,

rosesixtyfive

Thanks,
rosesixtyfive,

rosesixtyfive

<br />Thanks,
<br />rosesixtyfive,
<br />proud mother of Sam (double delta f508), also mother of Robin, 4 years old, no CF

M

Mommafirst

When my daughter was that young, I would wait until she fell asleep on me (usually after nursing). Then i would put a pillow on part of the compressor to lessen the noise and do the treatment. As she got older, it got easier and she wasn't as bothered by it.

M

Mommafirst

When my daughter was that young, I would wait until she fell asleep on me (usually after nursing). Then i would put a pillow on part of the compressor to lessen the noise and do the treatment. As she got older, it got easier and she wasn't as bothered by it.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

KAC1210

When I do Trevor's neb I usually do it when he is sleepy like first think in the morning after he has had his 1st bottle and is ready to go back to sleep. We also do it at night when he is sleepy. I sit in the rocking chair in his nursery and only have a little lamp on. If you establish a routine, I think eventually they get used to it. Also, I don't know if your baby uses a pacifier but Trevor's doc said it was fine for him to have it while he has his treatment. He said that babies mostly breathe through their nose anyway so it would be fine. I usually try to pop it out once his gets sleepy. I had to go buy a different pacifier that was smaller so that it would fit in his mask. It is hard at first. Trevor kept moving his head back and forth. But I think doing it in his room with the light turned down while he is sleepy is really working. I dont have any trouble with it now. Its almost like he knows that when we sit in the rocking chair he is going to get a mask on his face. Hope I was somewhat helpfull! It gets better...trust me!

*Katie 23y* mom to beautiful boys-Trevor (4 months w/CF) and Connor (3 years no CF)

KAC1210

When I do Trevor's neb I usually do it when he is sleepy like first think in the morning after he has had his 1st bottle and is ready to go back to sleep. We also do it at night when he is sleepy. I sit in the rocking chair in his nursery and only have a little lamp on. If you establish a routine, I think eventually they get used to it. Also, I don't know if your baby uses a pacifier but Trevor's doc said it was fine for him to have it while he has his treatment. He said that babies mostly breathe through their nose anyway so it would be fine. I usually try to pop it out once his gets sleepy. I had to go buy a different pacifier that was smaller so that it would fit in his mask. It is hard at first. Trevor kept moving his head back and forth. But I think doing it in his room with the light turned down while he is sleepy is really working. I dont have any trouble with it now. Its almost like he knows that when we sit in the rocking chair he is going to get a mask on his face. Hope I was somewhat helpfull! It gets better...trust me!

*Katie 23y* mom to beautiful boys-Trevor (4 months w/CF) and Connor (3 years no CF)

KAC1210

KAC1210

KAC1210

<br />
<br />*Katie 23y* mom to beautiful boys-Trevor (4 months w/CF) and Connor (3 years no CF)

ShannonB

Hi my daughter doesn't have CF but she does have asthma, and when she was a baby I had to give her neb treatments. What worked for me is similar to the other 2 posts, she would be sleeping or almost asleep. Sometimes if she was really fussy I would start off nursing while she did them, then as she got sleepy she would just do her nebs. after a little while she started just laying on my lap and falling asleep while doing them. It seemed almost like they put her to sleep.

ShannonB

Hi my daughter doesn't have CF but she does have asthma, and when she was a baby I had to give her neb treatments. What worked for me is similar to the other 2 posts, she would be sleeping or almost asleep. Sometimes if she was really fussy I would start off nursing while she did them, then as she got sleepy she would just do her nebs. after a little while she started just laying on my lap and falling asleep while doing them. It seemed almost like they put her to sleep.

ShannonB

ShannonB

ShannonB