First Time Using Nebulizer

ctalbott0609

Paige didn't like the Nebs at first. She thrashed around quite a bit. However, once we started getting a routine down, she started to calm down a little more; and now, I even turn the nebulizer on and let her play with the tubing for a few minutes before we start the nebs. It helps her realize where the vibration is coming from, and that it won't hurt her. I think she enjoys the vibrations, and the air flow. She'll actually put the end of the tube in her mouth now! Bottom line though, I think the routine is the best way to get a child acclimated to nebbing. We were also told not to use a pacifier, because you want the child getting as much medicine in as possible...Hearing that your Dr. told you it doesn't matter, makes me wonder if it really DOES matter either way?

ctalbott0609

Paige didn't like the Nebs at first. She thrashed around quite a bit. However, once we started getting a routine down, she started to calm down a little more; and now, I even turn the nebulizer on and let her play with the tubing for a few minutes before we start the nebs. It helps her realize where the vibration is coming from, and that it won't hurt her. I think she enjoys the vibrations, and the air flow. She'll actually put the end of the tube in her mouth now! Bottom line though, I think the routine is the best way to get a child acclimated to nebbing. We were also told not to use a pacifier, because you want the child getting as much medicine in as possible...Hearing that your Dr. told you it doesn't matter, makes me wonder if it really DOES matter either way?

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ryry11

I'm responding to this over a year after the post, but if anyone else finds it, check on Amazon and that kind of thing, they now have neb mouthpieces that are pacifiers with a hole on the top so babies can breathe the medication through their nose and suck on a pacifier at the same time.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pacifier+nebulizer&sprefix=pacifier+nebulizer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apacifier+nebulizer&ajr=3">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...cifier+nebulizer&ajr=3</a>

ryry11

I'm responding to this over a year after the post, but if anyone else finds it, check on Amazon and that kind of thing, they now have neb mouthpieces that are pacifiers with a hole on the top so babies can breathe the medication through their nose and suck on a pacifier at the same time.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pacifier+nebulizer&sprefix=pacifier+nebulizer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apacifier+nebulizer&ajr=3">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...cifier+nebulizer&ajr=3</a>

ryry11

<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pacifier+nebulizer&sprefix=pacifier+nebulizer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apacifier+nebulizer&ajr=3">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...cifier+nebulizer&ajr=3</a>

Hi, we did nebs to Joanna when she was sleepy or my husband used to entertain her - make funny faces and so if she didn't fall asleep.
We also use hypertonic saline and it works for us. We started step by step - firts I believe it was 2 times a day from 2 ml of 0,9% NaCl( Jonna was 2 months old then) , then after 3 month it changed to 3 ml 0,9 % (she was almost 6 months)and when she was 9 month they changed it to a mix of 0,9% and 10% 3:1 and gradually i t was 2:2ml - that is just above 5% NaCl. She still does this.
She got used quite quickly
But my younger - Zuzanna - now 3 months doesn't minde the noise at all since she heard it all the time when she was still in my belly. So maybe ut's a good idea to get Sam to get used to the noise first. Just run the nebulizer beside him without putting the mask on.
There are also nebulizers for babies as above or a kind of tent where you lie the baby down - Baby Air.
Good luck

Hi, we did nebs to Joanna when she was sleepy or my husband used to entertain her - make funny faces and so if she didn't fall asleep.
We also use hypertonic saline and it works for us. We started step by step - firts I believe it was 2 times a day from 2 ml of 0,9% NaCl( Jonna was 2 months old then) , then after 3 month it changed to 3 ml 0,9 % (she was almost 6 months)and when she was 9 month they changed it to a mix of 0,9% and 10% 3:1 and gradually i t was 2:2ml - that is just above 5% NaCl. She still does this.
She got used quite quickly
But my younger - Zuzanna - now 3 months doesn't minde the noise at all since she heard it all the time when she was still in my belly. So maybe ut's a good idea to get Sam to get used to the noise first. Just run the nebulizer beside him without putting the mask on.
There are also nebulizers for babies as above or a kind of tent where you lie the baby down - Baby Air.
Good luck

<br />We also use hypertonic saline and it works for us. We started step by step - firts I believe it was 2 times a day from 2 ml of 0,9% NaCl( Jonna was 2 months old then) , then after 3 month it changed to 3 ml 0,9 % (she was almost 6 months)and when she was 9 month they changed it to a mix of 0,9% and 10% 3:1 and gradually i t was 2:2ml - that is just above 5% NaCl. She still does this.
<br />She got used quite quickly
<br />But my younger - Zuzanna - now 3 months doesn't minde the noise at all since she heard it all the time when she was still in my belly. So maybe ut's a good idea to get Sam to get used to the noise first. Just run the nebulizer beside him without putting the mask on.
<br />There are also nebulizers for babies as above or a kind of tent where you lie the baby down - Baby Air.
<br />Good luck

JennyCoulon

We used the tube instead of a mask and just blew it in their face. No matter which way you do it it will take some getting used to but the tube seemed to help. I think the mask being attached to their head makes them mad and it turn makes it hard to get thru the treatment. Hope this helps.

JennyCoulon

We used the tube instead of a mask and just blew it in their face. No matter which way you do it it will take some getting used to but the tube seemed to help. I think the mask being attached to their head makes them mad and it turn makes it hard to get thru the treatment. Hope this helps.

JennyCoulon

<p>We used the tube instead of a mask and just blew it in their face. No matter which way you do it it will take some getting used to but the tube seemed to help. I think the mask being attached to their head makes them mad and it turn makes it hard to get thru the treatment. Hope this helps.

Beccamom

We began using a nebulizer at a think a couple of months. My daughter is now 11 years old. We used to put the compressor outside her room and run the rubbing under the door which worked with plush carpet and then rock her with the mask on.

Beccamom

We began using a nebulizer at a think a couple of months. My daughter is now 11 years old. We used to put the compressor outside her room and run the rubbing under the door which worked with plush carpet and then rock her with the mask on.

Beccamom