Floating/Swimming

MicheleGazelle

The person who floats best in my family is my youngest son, who is a carrier. He used to say his head was made of cork or something.

My ex husband was career military and at one time had to teach the course for how to survive when wrecked in water and that type of thing. It's not politically correct, but he told me that some folks just cannot float and that this trait is somewhat more common among black americans than among white americans. Folks who can't float just have to learn to tread water, which bites.

MicheleGazelle

The person who floats best in my family is my youngest son, who is a carrier. He used to say his head was made of cork or something.

My ex husband was career military and at one time had to teach the course for how to survive when wrecked in water and that type of thing. It's not politically correct, but he told me that some folks just cannot float and that this trait is somewhat more common among black americans than among white americans. Folks who can't float just have to learn to tread water, which bites.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />My ex husband was career military and at one time had to teach the course for how to survive when wrecked in water and that type of thing. It's not politically correct, but he told me that some folks just cannot float and that this trait is somewhat more common among black americans than among white americans. Folks who can't float just have to learn to tread water, which bites.

Melissa75

Administrator
My highschool had a required drown-proofing class in order to graduate. UNLESS you were a sinker. A few people in each class were sinkers (Michelle, in my PE class it WAS the two tall, very thin, African-American guys who didn't float). It has to do with muscle-mass and body fat.

The rest of us were taught how to rest face down in the water, legs dangling and periodically lift our heads for air. You use the least energy that way and last the longest in open water.

____
Melissa, 33 bronchiectasis (no CF)

Melissa75

Administrator
My highschool had a required drown-proofing class in order to graduate. UNLESS you were a sinker. A few people in each class were sinkers (Michelle, in my PE class it WAS the two tall, very thin, African-American guys who didn't float). It has to do with muscle-mass and body fat.

The rest of us were taught how to rest face down in the water, legs dangling and periodically lift our heads for air. You use the least energy that way and last the longest in open water.

____

Melissa75

Administrator

____

Melissa75

Administrator

____

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />The rest of us were taught how to rest face down in the water, legs dangling and periodically lift our heads for air. You use the least energy that way and last the longest in open water.
<br />
<br />____
<br />Melissa, 33 bronchiectasis (no CF)

phutton

Happy Sunday!

Floating has to do with muscle to fat ratio. Muscle is more dense or weighs more. Guys have more muscle mass than women. So if you had two guy that weighed the same, one with more fatty tissue, one with lean tissue, the one with the fatty tissue will float easier.

It also depends on how the fatty and lean tissues are distributed in the body. So for example, pear shapes have a harder time floating.

Pepsi

phutton

Happy Sunday!

Floating has to do with muscle to fat ratio. Muscle is more dense or weighs more. Guys have more muscle mass than women. So if you had two guy that weighed the same, one with more fatty tissue, one with lean tissue, the one with the fatty tissue will float easier.

It also depends on how the fatty and lean tissues are distributed in the body. So for example, pear shapes have a harder time floating.

Pepsi

phutton

Happy Sunday!

Pepsi

phutton

Happy Sunday!

Pepsi

phutton

Happy Sunday!
<br />
<br />Floating has to do with muscle to fat ratio. Muscle is more dense or weighs more. Guys have more muscle mass than women. So if you had two guy that weighed the same, one with more fatty tissue, one with lean tissue, the one with the fatty tissue will float easier.
<br />
<br />It also depends on how the fatty and lean tissues are distributed in the body. So for example, pear shapes have a harder time floating.
<br />
<br />Pepsi