Flu mist

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey ladies (and perhaps gentlemen),Is there any reason my husband should get the shot rather than the nasal mist? I'm 36 weeks pregnant right now and just wanting to make sure there is no danger with being exposed to the live virus, albeit second hand? For some reason I'm thinking of having him get the shot just to be on the safe side, but I could be being a little paranoid. I'm not sure? I know that the clinic will automatically want to give him the mist so just need to let him know if I need him to explain that he wants the shot.Thanks for any insight/advice!Autumn

Angel2393

Hey, I would suggest him not to get it.
I know there is a really high risk if a cf person were to get a live virus shot...to be on the safe side i would tell him to get the shot, still does the same job!

azdesertrat

Having had a double lung trans I was expressely forbidden to have the mist. My wife & I were told to get a shot annually. Best of luck to you in your pregnancy, hope you have a healthy, happy baby.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE">Originally posted by: petnurse

We were always told no mist around our son that has cf. It is "active" for 7-10 days after getting it.

This is similar to what my clinic has told me also but, they said you HAVE to avoid contact for at least 48 hours with the person who received the mist.

triples15

Super Moderator
Thanks everybody! I'll have him make sure they give him the shot. Definitely better safe than sorry!

My clinic has never told me anything about others in my household not getting the mist. Interesting.....

Pat, thanks so much for the well-wishes! So far the pregnancy has gone very smoothly so we're hoping it continues!

W

welshwitch

Hi Autumn! Just wanted to say hello and wow== 36 weeks??? You are practically there!

--Claire

ReneeP

**** Sorry... I had searched for the topic "flu mist" and replied to it without realizing it was in the Pregnancy section... I'll re-post this in the Family section ****Hi Everyone... Quick question. I have two daughters with CF (16 and 12)... both Double Delta F508 but both very healthy, relatively speaking of course. I am ashamed to admit it but they have not received their flu shots yet (it has been a rough year with a couple of deaths in the family recently and we just haven't managed to get the shots)...Anyhow, I just found out that the schools in our town are holding flu mist clinics at my daughter's schools starting tomorrow and going thru all of next week. I'm freaking out a little because of the girls not having their shots and being around all those people who are getting the flu mist... If I could get the girl's flu shots tonight, do you think they would be at less risk or does it even matter if they have had their flu shots? I've always been told that no one in our family should get the flu mist even if the girls had had flu shots... I know that many people get the flu mist and the girls are around them without knowing it... but with the actual clinic being at the schools, the large number of people they will be around is really stressing me out!!!Just looking for thoughts and opinions to see if I'm making too big of a deal out of this or if I need to make a bigger deal out of it...Thanks!!!