Flu Shot

Brad

<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Just a Reminder that it is That time of Year again...<br><br> Time to Get those Flu Shots..<br><br> I Always try and get mine near the end of Sept to middle of Oct.<br><br> Happy Sticking : )<br>

Brad

<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Just a Reminder that it is That time of Year again...<br><br>Time to Get those Flu Shots..<br><br>I Always try and get mine near the end of Sept to middle of Oct.<br><br>Happy Sticking : )<br>

Brad

<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Just a Reminder that it is That time of Year again...<br><br>Time to Get those Flu Shots..<br><br>I Always try and get mine near the end of Sept to middle of Oct.<br><br>Happy Sticking : )<br>

M

Mommafirst

We'll be getting ours for everyone in the household soon. I hope the flu stays far away from everyone here!!

M

Mommafirst

We'll be getting ours for everyone in the household soon. I hope the flu stays far away from everyone here!!

M

Mommafirst

<br />

Beccamom

In hopes that this does not happen to anyone else regarding the flu shot. If you live in the northeast US or anywhere else with a lengthy poweroutage be aware. My daughters were scheduled for their flu shots at their doctor's office the Monday after huricane Irene. Basically I found out right after they received their shots that the power had been out to the frig the vaccine was kept in for about 36 hours. The flu shot manufacturer, CDC, and state department of health all informed me that the temperature of the refrigerator when the power came back on would determine the effectiveness of the vaccine. The doctor did not track the termperature of the refrigerator. I did receive a copy of the manufacturer's letter that stated that if the frig was kept at the poper temperature before the power went out, then up to 48 hours without power was acceptable. The same letter states that the shots that were stored without power should be given first because the life expectancy of the vaccine was unknown. The shots my children received will not be affective because they received a vaccine from a vial that was opened prior to the power outage which the manufacturer told me made the shot ineffective. I just don't want others to have this problem. My daughter's last hospital stay was a result of the flu.

Beccamom

In hopes that this does not happen to anyone else regarding the flu shot. If you live in the northeast US or anywhere else with a lengthy poweroutage be aware. My daughters were scheduled for their flu shots at their doctor's office the Monday after huricane Irene. Basically I found out right after they received their shots that the power had been out to the frig the vaccine was kept in for about 36 hours. The flu shot manufacturer, CDC, and state department of health all informed me that the temperature of the refrigerator when the power came back on would determine the effectiveness of the vaccine. The doctor did not track the termperature of the refrigerator. I did receive a copy of the manufacturer's letter that stated that if the frig was kept at the poper temperature before the power went out, then up to 48 hours without power was acceptable. The same letter states that the shots that were stored without power should be given first because the life expectancy of the vaccine was unknown. The shots my children received will not be affective because they received a vaccine from a vial that was opened prior to the power outage which the manufacturer told me made the shot ineffective. I just don't want others to have this problem. My daughter's last hospital stay was a result of the flu.

Beccamom

peter

That's an important detail. This is the CDC bulletin for this year upcoming. <a target="" title="2011-2012 flu" href="http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season%20">http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season </a><br>

peter

That's an important detail. This is the CDC bulletin for this year upcoming. <a target="" title="2011-2012 flu" href="http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season%20">http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season </a><br>

peter

peter

For those who can't get to the link. This is excerpted from the CDC bulletin for 2011-2012:
Recommendations for Vaccination

Routine annual influenza vaccination is recommended for all persons aged ?6 months (1). To permit time for production of protective antibody levels (4,5), vaccination should optimally occur before onset of influenza activity in the community, and providers should offer vaccination as soon as vaccine is available. Vaccination also should continue to be offered throughout the influenza season.

Although influenza vaccine strains for the 2011--12 season are unchanged from those of 2010--11, annual vaccination is recommended even for those who received the vaccine for the previous season. Although in one study of children vaccinated against A/Hong Kong/68 (H3N2) virus, vaccine efficacy remained high against this strain 3 years later, the estimated efficacy of vaccine decreased over the seasons studied (6). Moreover, several studies have demonstrated that postvaccination antibody titers decline over the course of a year (7--10). Thus, annual vaccination is recommended for optimal protection against influenza.

Vaccine Doses for Children Aged 6 Months Through 8 Years

Children aged 6 months through 8 years require 2 doses of influenza vaccine (administered a minimum of 4 weeks apart) during their first season of vaccination to optimize immune response. In a study of children aged 5 through 8 years who received trivalent inactivated vaccine (TIV) for the first time, the proportion of children with protective antibody responses was significantly higher after 2 doses than after 1 dose (11).

peter

For those who can't get to the link. This is excerpted from the CDC bulletin for 2011-2012:
Recommendations for Vaccination

Routine annual influenza vaccination is recommended for all persons aged ?6 months (1). To permit time for production of protective antibody levels (4,5), vaccination should optimally occur before onset of influenza activity in the community, and providers should offer vaccination as soon as vaccine is available. Vaccination also should continue to be offered throughout the influenza season.

Although influenza vaccine strains for the 2011--12 season are unchanged from those of 2010--11, annual vaccination is recommended even for those who received the vaccine for the previous season. Although in one study of children vaccinated against A/Hong Kong/68 (H3N2) virus, vaccine efficacy remained high against this strain 3 years later, the estimated efficacy of vaccine decreased over the seasons studied (6). Moreover, several studies have demonstrated that postvaccination antibody titers decline over the course of a year (7--10). Thus, annual vaccination is recommended for optimal protection against influenza.

Vaccine Doses for Children Aged 6 Months Through 8 Years

Children aged 6 months through 8 years require 2 doses of influenza vaccine (administered a minimum of 4 weeks apart) during their first season of vaccination to optimize immune response. In a study of children aged 5 through 8 years who received trivalent inactivated vaccine (TIV) for the first time, the proportion of children with protective antibody responses was significantly higher after 2 doses than after 1 dose (11).