Flu Shot

Diane

I am just curious, does everyone here get a flu shot? I have been getting one every year for the past 12 years or so and im curious whether other cf patients get one as well. I know it is recommended that we do get one, i just wonder how many are compliant with it. ~ Diane

anonymous

Hi! I'm a 21 yr old with CF, and I have gotten flu shots for as long as I can remember. It just ins't worth the risk of getting the flu to not get the shot.Mary

Lois

i always get a flu shot. actually, the cf clinic i go to sends out reminders to every cf family in israel [there are about 500 cf patients here] about the time flu shots are available. we have a high awareness [so to speak] to flu shots in my family, because when both of my grandmothers passed away, it had started with the flu - one of them had a heart attack several days after she got sick, the other one was about 80 years old and weak and simply couldn't recover. so my family is among the first ones to get the shot.

anonymous

I get the flu shot every year too. At my last visit my doc asked me if I had gotten my flu shot and when I said "not yet" He simply walked to the hallway and shouted across the clinic "flu shot needed in room 2" A few second later a nurse rushed in with the shot...hahah it didn't seem like they were gonna give me a choice, but I didn't care cause I would have gotten one anyway. I figure a little prick in the arm sure beats being on IVs due to getting sick from the flu!Emily

anonymous

I've gotten one as long as I can remember. In the past few years, since I've been at college, I've gotten a booster flu shot around January or February. I think it's helped, the year I didn't get a booster i got a flu strand and landed in the hospital. I was miserably sick. I can't remember the last time I was that sick. When I started feeling crappy, I thought it was just my CF flaring up, but when it didn't go away for after a few days and got worse, and painful, I knew something was really wrong.Debbie

anonymous

I live in Canada and both patient and immediate family are requried to get it. We have done it since diagnosis. This year she may have had a reaction, but who knows if it was from the shot or just a coincidence. If it is recommended we usually do what we are told.AM

Cindo

here is aus we're told to get them annually. if i go to the clinic and haven't had it, one is soon found and administered - the little bit of risk is probably not worth the issues caused by the nasty strains they prevent.

I

IG

I get a flu shot, but due to immunosuppressants I have to get the "dead" virus instead of the live virus. My doctor does not give you a choice in the matter, you get the shot, or you change doctors. I kinda like him, so I got the shot and have not gotten the flu *knock on wood* yet.Candice