Flu Shots and Family Members

BethanyAnne

Hey everyone! I get the flu shot every year of course and my immediate family has aways done the same (especially because my sister and I have CF)...

My boyfriend never gets the flu vaccine. He's been told bad things about vaccines through media, family members, friends, etc...
Do your spouses get the flu vaccine every year?

BethanyAnne

Hey everyone! I get the flu shot every year of course and my immediate family has aways done the same (especially because my sister and I have CF)...

My boyfriend never gets the flu vaccine. He's been told bad things about vaccines through media, family members, friends, etc...
Do your spouses get the flu vaccine every year?

BethanyAnne

<br />
<br />My boyfriend never gets the flu vaccine. He's been told bad things about vaccines through media, family members, friends, etc...
<br />Do your spouses get the flu vaccine every year?

Jeana

Nope. My husband used to be forced to get his in the military and he'd get the flu every time, so now he refuses to get the flu shot. My children always get theirs though.

Jeana

Nope. My husband used to be forced to get his in the military and he'd get the flu every time, so now he refuses to get the flu shot. My children always get theirs though.

Jeana

ej0820

My fiance cannot deal with needles...he does not get the flu shot and I don't think he ever has. there was one year where his boss was going crazy worried that all her employees were going to get the flu, so she came up with different incentives to entice employees to get a flu shot (gift cards, free merchandise, etc.). my fiance refused them all.

Growing up, I don't think my mom ever got a flu shot either. If she did, she certainly didn't get one every year. I, of course, always have/do.

ej0820

My fiance cannot deal with needles...he does not get the flu shot and I don't think he ever has. there was one year where his boss was going crazy worried that all her employees were going to get the flu, so she came up with different incentives to entice employees to get a flu shot (gift cards, free merchandise, etc.). my fiance refused them all.

Growing up, I don't think my mom ever got a flu shot either. If she did, she certainly didn't get one every year. I, of course, always have/do.

ej0820

<br />
<br />Growing up, I don't think my mom ever got a flu shot either. If she did, she certainly didn't get one every year. I, of course, always have/do.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has CF and we as his parents get the vaccine. His uncle & aunt, cousins, grandparents. Everyone who is in close contact with him gets them, including people who never used to get them.

Think last year because of the H1N1 epidemic and people either caught it or knew someone who caught it, more naysayers are getting vaccinated. I know several of my coworkers who refused the get them in the past, got their shots this year and last year.

DH got H1N1 on a business trip last fall before vaccines were available. Was quarantined at his parents house and said it was the worst he'd EVER felt. Based on his symptoms he was very, very concerned that should DS get it, that he'd be in REALLY tough shape. Not someone you want to mess around with.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has CF and we as his parents get the vaccine. His uncle & aunt, cousins, grandparents. Everyone who is in close contact with him gets them, including people who never used to get them.

Think last year because of the H1N1 epidemic and people either caught it or knew someone who caught it, more naysayers are getting vaccinated. I know several of my coworkers who refused the get them in the past, got their shots this year and last year.

DH got H1N1 on a business trip last fall before vaccines were available. Was quarantined at his parents house and said it was the worst he'd EVER felt. Based on his symptoms he was very, very concerned that should DS get it, that he'd be in REALLY tough shape. Not someone you want to mess around with.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Think last year because of the H1N1 epidemic and people either caught it or knew someone who caught it, more naysayers are getting vaccinated. I know several of my coworkers who refused the get them in the past, got their shots this year and last year.
<br />
<br />DH got H1N1 on a business trip last fall before vaccines were available. Was quarantined at his parents house and said it was the worst he'd EVER felt. Based on his symptoms he was very, very concerned that should DS get it, that he'd be in REALLY tough shape. Not someone you want to mess around with.

mamaScarlett

I think vaccines are very important and lifesaving. That being said I am concerned about the amount of vaccines they want to give all at once to little ones. My 3.5 yr old is up to date on all her shots, but prior to the age of 3 I had her shots spaced out. Also instead of staying on the typical shot schedule, I delayed them a bit.
She had a flu shot last year. And now she'll get one every year. Thats not just for her really, thats for my protection as well. My husband gets one also now. He never did before, but now that H1N1 has surfaced, and we've been ttc-ing for a year (and I'm currently preg) the flu is not something that can be brought into this house.

I'm extremely concerned about the newness of the H1N1 shot. (now the standard current flu shot) Esp being pregnant-I don't want h1n1, but I'm still on the fence about it. My doctor pointed out that there's some things we don't know about these shots. But, what we do know is that H1N1 could be deadly for me. You have to act sometimes on what you do know, not the what ifs.

But yes, I agree-it is very hard.

mamaScarlett

I think vaccines are very important and lifesaving. That being said I am concerned about the amount of vaccines they want to give all at once to little ones. My 3.5 yr old is up to date on all her shots, but prior to the age of 3 I had her shots spaced out. Also instead of staying on the typical shot schedule, I delayed them a bit.
She had a flu shot last year. And now she'll get one every year. Thats not just for her really, thats for my protection as well. My husband gets one also now. He never did before, but now that H1N1 has surfaced, and we've been ttc-ing for a year (and I'm currently preg) the flu is not something that can be brought into this house.

I'm extremely concerned about the newness of the H1N1 shot. (now the standard current flu shot) Esp being pregnant-I don't want h1n1, but I'm still on the fence about it. My doctor pointed out that there's some things we don't know about these shots. But, what we do know is that H1N1 could be deadly for me. You have to act sometimes on what you do know, not the what ifs.

But yes, I agree-it is very hard.

mamaScarlett

<br />She had a flu shot last year. And now she'll get one every year. Thats not just for her really, thats for my protection as well. My husband gets one also now. He never did before, but now that H1N1 has surfaced, and we've been ttc-ing for a year (and I'm currently preg) the flu is not something that can be brought into this house.
<br />
<br />I'm extremely concerned about the newness of the H1N1 shot. (now the standard current flu shot) Esp being pregnant-I don't want h1n1, but I'm still on the fence about it. My doctor pointed out that there's some things we don't know about these shots. But, what we do know is that H1N1 could be deadly for me. You have to act sometimes on what you do know, not the what ifs.
<br />
<br />But yes, I agree-it is very hard.

Liza

I find it amazing how people can still think that the flu shot gives them the flu. It is not a live vaccine. It can not give someone the flu. It also does not take effect immediately, like that stupid Walgreens commercial implies.

My girls have recieved the flu shot since diagnosis in 1990. My husband always recieve it, he was in the military and medical, so he was in the first group that recieved them. I admit, I didn't get them, simply because I hated shots/needles. I was finally guilted into it one year when my husband went with me to get the girls their shots, they asked "how many shots today?" and he said "four". How can I back out with my 4 & 7 yr old right there? Still it was hit or miss years following. Since Anna's transplant I get it like clockwork.

After tx, Anna's roommate who HATES needles even started getting the vaccine, for Anna'. She gets the flu mist. Although, because the components are different and there is a slight amount of live virus in that, she has to stay away from her for a couple of weeks. It can potentially be transmitted through a sneeze or cough. The reported cases of this occuring were very small. That info. I got directly from the people that make flu mist.

All of our extended family members also get the flu shot, not just for Anna' and Rachel but for my grandparents as well. We're talking 14 children plus spouses and their children.

Liza

I find it amazing how people can still think that the flu shot gives them the flu. It is not a live vaccine. It can not give someone the flu. It also does not take effect immediately, like that stupid Walgreens commercial implies.

My girls have recieved the flu shot since diagnosis in 1990. My husband always recieve it, he was in the military and medical, so he was in the first group that recieved them. I admit, I didn't get them, simply because I hated shots/needles. I was finally guilted into it one year when my husband went with me to get the girls their shots, they asked "how many shots today?" and he said "four". How can I back out with my 4 & 7 yr old right there? Still it was hit or miss years following. Since Anna's transplant I get it like clockwork.

After tx, Anna's roommate who HATES needles even started getting the vaccine, for Anna'. She gets the flu mist. Although, because the components are different and there is a slight amount of live virus in that, she has to stay away from her for a couple of weeks. It can potentially be transmitted through a sneeze or cough. The reported cases of this occuring were very small. That info. I got directly from the people that make flu mist.

All of our extended family members also get the flu shot, not just for Anna' and Rachel but for my grandparents as well. We're talking 14 children plus spouses and their children.

Liza

<br />
<br />My girls have recieved the flu shot since diagnosis in 1990. My husband always recieve it, he was in the military and medical, so he was in the first group that recieved them. I admit, I didn't get them, simply because I hated shots/needles. I was finally guilted into it one year when my husband went with me to get the girls their shots, they asked "how many shots today?" and he said "four". How can I back out with my 4 & 7 yr old right there? Still it was hit or miss years following. Since Anna's transplant I get it like clockwork.
<br />
<br />After tx, Anna's roommate who HATES needles even started getting the vaccine, for Anna'. She gets the flu mist. Although, because the components are different and there is a slight amount of live virus in that, she has to stay away from her for a couple of weeks. It can potentially be transmitted through a sneeze or cough. The reported cases of this occuring were very small. That info. I got directly from the people that make flu mist.
<br />
<br />All of our extended family members also get the flu shot, not just for Anna' and Rachel but for my grandparents as well. We're talking 14 children plus spouses and their children.

RistaGirly

I have CF & obviously get the flu shot, and my parents do.
my sister doesnt live at home anymore, so i highly doubt she gets it
and my boyfriend doesnt get it, he doesn't hardly ever go to the doctors, he fights off any colds or what not by himself. he doesnt "believe" in medicine...he occasionaly takes tylenol and whatnot..but it never works for him, so he sticks to fighting things off for himself.

RistaGirly

I have CF & obviously get the flu shot, and my parents do.
my sister doesnt live at home anymore, so i highly doubt she gets it
and my boyfriend doesnt get it, he doesn't hardly ever go to the doctors, he fights off any colds or what not by himself. he doesnt "believe" in medicine...he occasionaly takes tylenol and whatnot..but it never works for him, so he sticks to fighting things off for himself.