Fluoroquinolones and prednisone interaction

CyrilCrodius

The last time I took Levaquin, I was also given comcomittent prednisone. The effect was disastrous on my joints, tendons and muscles, although THANKFULLY it didn't cause any long term damage. So I have found a study that supports this. Read it here : <a href="http://www.bmj.com/content/324/7349/1306.full" target="_blank">http://www.bmj.com/content/324/7349/1306.full</a>
Conclusion : "Current exposure to fluoroquinolones increases the risk of Achilles tendon disorders. This finding is in agreement with a smaller study, in which we found an association between tendinitis and fluoroquinolones. Our results indicate that this adverse effect is relatively rare, with an overall excess risk of 3.2 cases per 1000 patient years. The effect seems to be restricted to people aged 60 or over, and within this group concomitant use of corticosteroids increased the risk substantially. The proportion of Achilles tendon disorders among patients with both risk factors that is attributable to their interaction was 87%. Although the mechanism is unknown, the sudden onset of some tendinopathies, occasionally after a single dose of a fluoroquinolone, suggests a direct toxic effect on collagen fibres. Prescribers should be aware of this risk, especially in elderly people taking corticosteroids."
I didn't have any problem with Cipro the last times I took it, but this time I was also give prednisone to take at the same time... I'm considering dropping the prednisone. My pneumologist told me that there was no interaction between Levaquin and pred...

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"><em>Copied from other similar thread, by Administrator.</em>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">When I was on cipro 4 weeks ago, there was a day where the temperature soared very high. A very nice "summer day" that I spent outside sitting in a shaded area. I totally forgot that I should stay away from the sun while taking cipro, but I stayed in a shaded area anyway because I know that I burn easily. I was wearing a t-shirt and got sunburns on my arms and neck solely by walking from the house to the garage during the day, which is about 20 meters away from the house. That was about 3 weeks ago.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">I noticed this week that whenever I go in the sun, the areas that were then sunburnt turn red. I got another sunburn this week, this time on the upper part of my chest and the part that was burnt while I was on Cipro is still red, while the rest of if is turning brown.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">I googled about it, it turns out that drug induced photosensitivity DOES take long to resolve. It can take several weeks to several months depending on the drug. I assume that with fluoroquinolones, it's going to take long.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"><a href="http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1049648-followup#showall" target="_blank">http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1049648-followup#showall</a>

Edit :Do you read threads before merging? This is for warning about a possible interaction between fluoroquinolones and corticosteroids, fluoroquinolone-related surnburns has absolutely NOTHING to do in this thread.

ryry11

My doctor told me that Levaquin can actually be harder on your joints/muscles/tendons than Cipro, fyi.
I won't take them anymore because they KILL my joints also, within 2 hours of my first dose. So all fluoroquinalones are listed as an allergy for me.

CyrilCrodius

Yeah, I won't take Levaquin anymore either. I'm thinking of adding it to my list of "allergies" too even if technically it isn't one.

imported_Momto2

Fluoroquinolones and prednisone interaction including heightened sensitivity to Sunlight

I too have had joint and soft tissue pain issues with antibiotics and steroids. I also have to stay totally out of the sun while on cipro. A few years ago I inadvertently exposed my forearm to sun for about 30 minutes. It burned nastily and they truly weird purplish- bluish scaley growth that was about 1.5 inches by 5 inches covered my arm where the burn was within a couple of days. It took about 4 months for it to resolve. Completely weird. Anyone know what that was?