For the military spouse with CF

ladybug

Hello.

So I was thinking with this deployment that we just started...

Does anyone know how much CF effects deployments, staying at one station for an extended time, etc?

The reason I'm asking is this:

Say DH was deployed and I got really sick really fast, would the military allow him to come home and take care of me? (not that this is happening but I often wonder as his "dependent" if I needed him here would they bring him home to help take care of me??)

Also, I'm curious with regard to our constant moving every 2-4 years, does anyone know if having CF can keep us at a permanent duty station longer? For example, using the fact that it is difficult to find and get a rapport with a whole new team of docs?

OR, similarly, say I were to get pregnant or need a transplant and we were nearing our end at a station, would such things keep us there longer since it is detrimental to move with such high risk situations? Or, say we were to move but I suffered an exaccerbation and needed to be admitted, etc.... Would that keep us at our station longer? Or, would they have him move anyway and I'd follow once I got "well"? These are just things that have crossed my mind and I'm curious if you've heard anything?

I think its different for enlisted cause they can always put in for an extended stay (at least that's how it used to be... like up to 7 years at one place), but how about for officer spouses? Does anyone know? Or is it a case-by-case basis?

Thanks!

ladybug

Hello.

Does anyone know how much CF effects deployments, staying at one station for an extended time, etc?

Say DH was deployed and I got really sick really fast, would the military allow him to come home and take care of me? (not that this is happening but I often wonder as his "dependent" if I needed him here would they bring him home to help take care of me??)

Also, I'm curious with regard to our constant moving every 2-4 years, does anyone know if having CF can keep us at a permanent duty station longer? For example, using the fact that it is difficult to find and get a rapport with a whole new team of docs?

OR, similarly, say I were to get pregnant or need a transplant and we were nearing our end at a station, would such things keep us there longer since it is detrimental to move with such high risk situations? Or, say we were to move but I suffered an exaccerbation and needed to be admitted, etc.... Would that keep us at our station longer? Or, would they have him move anyway and I'd follow once I got "well"? These are just things that have crossed my mind and I'm curious if you've heard anything?

I think its different for enlisted cause they can always put in for an extended stay (at least that's how it used to be... like up to 7 years at one place), but how about for officer spouses? Does anyone know? Or is it a case-by-case basis?

Thanks!

ladybug

Hello.

Thanks!

ladybug

Hello.

Thanks!

ladybug

Hello.
<br />
<br />So I was thinking with this deployment that we just started...
<br />
<br />Does anyone know how much CF effects deployments, staying at one station for an extended time, etc?
<br />
<br />The reason I'm asking is this:
<br />
<br />Say DH was deployed and I got really sick really fast, would the military allow him to come home and take care of me? (not that this is happening but I often wonder as his "dependent" if I needed him here would they bring him home to help take care of me??)
<br />
<br />Also, I'm curious with regard to our constant moving every 2-4 years, does anyone know if having CF can keep us at a permanent duty station longer? For example, using the fact that it is difficult to find and get a rapport with a whole new team of docs?
<br />
<br />OR, similarly, say I were to get pregnant or need a transplant and we were nearing our end at a station, would such things keep us there longer since it is detrimental to move with such high risk situations? Or, say we were to move but I suffered an exaccerbation and needed to be admitted, etc.... Would that keep us at our station longer? Or, would they have him move anyway and I'd follow once I got "well"? These are just things that have crossed my mind and I'm curious if you've heard anything?
<br />
<br />I think its different for enlisted cause they can always put in for an extended stay (at least that's how it used to be... like up to 7 years at one place), but how about for officer spouses? Does anyone know? Or is it a case-by-case basis?
<br />
<br />Thanks!

MicheleGazelle

After I and my son were both diagnosed, my ex got the family enrolled in the "special family member" program. It did enable him to extend his stay in that unit. I was so sick at the time, he did all the paperwork. I don't kmow any of the details.

Edit:

That's probably "exceptional family member" program. It's been a few years. Sorry.

MicheleGazelle

After I and my son were both diagnosed, my ex got the family enrolled in the "special family member" program. It did enable him to extend his stay in that unit. I was so sick at the time, he did all the paperwork. I don't kmow any of the details.

Edit:

That's probably "exceptional family member" program. It's been a few years. Sorry.

MicheleGazelle

Edit:

MicheleGazelle

Edit:

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />
<br />Edit:
<br />
<br />That's probably "exceptional family member" program. It's been a few years. Sorry.

B

brewz2

Hey Sonia,

My husband is an officer in the navy. He was on a six month deployment, and actually had three weeks to go until he came when I found out our daughter had CF. I talked to a few people from the command, and they were going to get him ASAP, but I opted to just wait. I figured it was something that I wanted to tell him in person so I could be there for him, instead of telling him on the phone. But yes, they should make arrangements if something is going on so they can get home to be there for whatever it is.

Also, our kids are both enrolled in the EFMP program, and this actually limits us to where we can be stationed. We have a couple different choices/locations that if we wanted to, we could homeport there for the rest of his career. Unfortunately, Norfolk, and couple other places are not on our top list of living. We've gotten lucky at this command that he was able to do back to back tours at the same base. My husband is an admin officer, and he knows a lot more about all this stuff. IF you have other questions, let me know, and I'll see if I can get him on here to help answer questions.

B

brewz2

Hey Sonia,

My husband is an officer in the navy. He was on a six month deployment, and actually had three weeks to go until he came when I found out our daughter had CF. I talked to a few people from the command, and they were going to get him ASAP, but I opted to just wait. I figured it was something that I wanted to tell him in person so I could be there for him, instead of telling him on the phone. But yes, they should make arrangements if something is going on so they can get home to be there for whatever it is.

Also, our kids are both enrolled in the EFMP program, and this actually limits us to where we can be stationed. We have a couple different choices/locations that if we wanted to, we could homeport there for the rest of his career. Unfortunately, Norfolk, and couple other places are not on our top list of living. We've gotten lucky at this command that he was able to do back to back tours at the same base. My husband is an admin officer, and he knows a lot more about all this stuff. IF you have other questions, let me know, and I'll see if I can get him on here to help answer questions.

B

brewz2

Hey Sonia,

B

brewz2

Hey Sonia,

B

brewz2

Hey Sonia,
<br />
<br />My husband is an officer in the navy. He was on a six month deployment, and actually had three weeks to go until he came when I found out our daughter had CF. I talked to a few people from the command, and they were going to get him ASAP, but I opted to just wait. I figured it was something that I wanted to tell him in person so I could be there for him, instead of telling him on the phone. But yes, they should make arrangements if something is going on so they can get home to be there for whatever it is.
<br />
<br />Also, our kids are both enrolled in the EFMP program, and this actually limits us to where we can be stationed. We have a couple different choices/locations that if we wanted to, we could homeport there for the rest of his career. Unfortunately, Norfolk, and couple other places are not on our top list of living. We've gotten lucky at this command that he was able to do back to back tours at the same base. My husband is an admin officer, and he knows a lot more about all this stuff. IF you have other questions, let me know, and I'll see if I can get him on here to help answer questions.

Nicole

My husband is an officer in the AF. Our son has CF. We got extended at our current base for another 2 years. We had our CF doc write a letter stating how important continuity of care is for a CFer and my husband gave that to his group commander when we were up for a new assignment. My husband was on the squadron commanders list so the group commander played a huge part in getting a new job. He fought very hard to keep us here. Not sure how big a part the letter played if any. My husband was talking to his new group commander about what might happen after his two years of command here is up and she said while we could possibly stay here and get another 2 year command she thought it would be detrimental to his career and wouldn't recommend it. I guess we'll make that decision later...

As far as deployments, we were told that he had the option of turning down one deployment because of our EFMP enrollment. Don't know if that's one deployment in his whole career? I would assume that if you got sick enough they would have to send him home.

Nicole

My husband is an officer in the AF. Our son has CF. We got extended at our current base for another 2 years. We had our CF doc write a letter stating how important continuity of care is for a CFer and my husband gave that to his group commander when we were up for a new assignment. My husband was on the squadron commanders list so the group commander played a huge part in getting a new job. He fought very hard to keep us here. Not sure how big a part the letter played if any. My husband was talking to his new group commander about what might happen after his two years of command here is up and she said while we could possibly stay here and get another 2 year command she thought it would be detrimental to his career and wouldn't recommend it. I guess we'll make that decision later...

As far as deployments, we were told that he had the option of turning down one deployment because of our EFMP enrollment. Don't know if that's one deployment in his whole career? I would assume that if you got sick enough they would have to send him home.

Nicole

Nicole

Nicole

<br />
<br />As far as deployments, we were told that he had the option of turning down one deployment because of our EFMP enrollment. Don't know if that's one deployment in his whole career? I would assume that if you got sick enough they would have to send him home.