for those on SSI & SSDI

catboogie

can anyone tell me if getting an inheritance could affect your eligability to get or stay on either of these two programs? i know they are very thorough about checking all of your assets.

thanks!

YES!!! make sure to hide that cash! lol or what ever you have coming. like if its a car,house,land or something along those lines....put it in somebody else name!

julie

Part of what Jim said is true. For SSI, YES any money you have (bank accounts, stocks, bonds...) will be looked at for SSI. You can not have resources above $2000 for a single person, $3000 for a family.

For SSDI, you coud have a million dollars sitting in the bank and still get SSDI if you medically qualify and have enough work credits.

Just saw what else was written, the home you live in does NOT count (rental property does), a car you use for medical purposes does NOT count, if you are married your spouses car does NOT count if they work. Land, unless you are living on it then they DO count it, but if you have a home on acrage, it can't be counted against you. This is all for SSI. As far as SSDI, you could have 20 cars, 3 houses and so on and still get your SSDI.

MOME2RT

What is the difference besides all the above between SSI & SSDI????? How do you apply for SSDI or should I say what are the qualifactions to receive SSDI??

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>catboogie</b></i>

oh, and do you have to reapply for each program every year?</end quote></div>

I know for SSDI the reviews vary. For me its every 5 years, but it does vary for each person. I know some that dont have any reviews & I am not sure how they decidee that. SSI I believe is annual possibley every 6 months depending on the state due to possible financial changes etc.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MOME2RT</b></i>

What is the difference besides all the above between SSI & SSDI????? How do you apply for SSDI or should I say what are the qualifactions to receive SSDI??</end quote></div>

The difference is:

SSDI is based on somene's work history meaning either the patient or parent/grandparent/responsible guardian must have enough time/credits in to get disability thru their contributions from working. SSI is based on income &/or finances. Both need to have the "Disavility" factor involved. Otherwise you would have people retiring long before retirement age without medical reasons LOL! You can contact your local Social Security Office for an appointment for both. They will handle the application for both & if you are eligible for both you will get both. If not you will be notified of denial also. Get as much documentation together beforehand it speeds up the process. This is where the social worker at your CF office comes in handy if you have one. If you are denied for some reason....dont reapply. Appeal immediately & if denied again appeal. You might have to seek professional assistance for appeals. Not everyone needs that assistance & since they charge a % of the retro active portion you might want to be sure about it. Julie will be a bigger help giving more details, but thats the basics.

julie

Just as Melissa said, you don't ever have to reapply if you are continuously on SSI/SSDI but they do review your case every few years. They just did Mark's review, apparently his is every 3 years. Nothing to it really, we just got a note in the mail saying they reviewed his SSI/SSDI elgibility and that was all.

julie

Also, here's a link to some stuff I put together regarding SSI/SSDI and how to qualify based on the impairment listings. It pretty much says exactly what Melissa said about the differences between SSI/SSDI but it will also tell you HOW to qualify (which is a nightmare of a process in itself but worth it when you finally get your benefits!

Let me know if you have any quetions

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/articles.cfm?article_id=100030
">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...cfm?article_id=100030
</a>

MOME2RT

well reece does get SSI and YES it took us 18 months to get it..we kept appealing. BUT I just didnt want to miss something that could help us out further...My husband is the only one that is working and I really only worked part time jobs and didnt make enough anyways...I didnt know that you could get both of them....Thanks for the link, Julie.

julie

Since Reece gets SSI, he medically qualifies for SSDI but he'd have to recieve his SSDI benefits off either you or his father, or his grandparents. This is the only part where I get really in the dark about SSDI. I'm not sure if him getting benefits off of his parents or grandparents complicates their retirement benefits in the future (makes them less each month...) and I've yet to get a straight answer from our social security office.

I know there is a family maximum set for every family based on work history, and say a spouse doesn't work, you can recieve benefits under your husbands name up to a certain amonut (it's a percentaget of his benefits) and I'm pretty sure that a child recieving benefits would be the same thing. Some families/grandparents are willing to sacrafice a little bit of $$$ each month to have it go to the child with a disability and some aren't.

The parents/grandparents DO have to be recieving SSDI or retirement benefits though for a child to "use theirs". HOpe this makes sense.

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>julie</b></i>

Part of what Jim said is true. For SSI, YES any money you have (bank accounts, stocks, bonds...) will be looked at for SSI. You can not have resources above $2000 for a single person, $3000 for a family.</end quote></div>

$3000 for a family... Are you serious? That's f*cking insane. HAH! People are stupid.

julie

I know, it's unbelieveable their expectations. Luckly when Mark was on SSI (they back dated his benefits before we were married and therefore could NOT count my income as we said we weren't living together; he recieved SSDI but SSI was more money so they paid him that for about 7 months, up until when we got married) my mom and dad were willing to put $$$ in their bank account for us just to keep it out of our name and him elgible for benefits.

I don't get the US system half the time.... We're two for two today em (the post about my friend in Iraq)

Emily65Roses

Yesss... and there are ways to save money without people knowing.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>my mom and dad were willing to put $$$ in their bank account for us just to keep it out of our name and him elgible for benefits</end quote></div>
*hint hint* It can be done.