For those who've had an embolization...

JenLeigh

I had my first one last Thurs. after having 8 episodes of hemop within a couple months. They did a bronch the day before the embolization on an upper right artery. I was in so much pain/discomfort (tightness, heaviness, etc) in both my chest and back, as well as the groin site. I also kept spiking fevers everyday up until today, and I actually feel SO much better today. I read through a lot of other past posts pertaining to embolizations, and didn't read any that mentioned spiking fevers or that they had such awful pain and discomfort. I am wondering now if it had to do with the fact that I had the bronch and then the embo the next morning. Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Jen (who is sooooo happy to be feeling better...and NO bleeding!! :D )

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Josh had no fevers at all, or pain, in fact the whole procedure was pretty easy. He didn't have a bronch though. Hope you are feeling better.

lilmac1177

i've had one embolization thus far (two years ago) and no fever that i remember, but i recall them telling me it wasn't abnormal to run a fever. also, i had very little pain afterward. i had worse issues w/ bronch which, like you, happened the day before embo...

rtorres25

embolization with fever

i've had one embolization thus far (two years ago) and no fever that i remember, but i recall them telling me it wasn't abnormal to run a fever. also, i had very little pain afterward. i had worse issues w/ bronch which, like you, happened the day before embo...
I did have fever the day after my embolization along with an excruciating headache. I had a bronch bf the procedure, too. Dr. explained it was the bodies reaction to blood supply being cut off in that area. Other than that, and the huge groin bandage, it wasn't too bad. I'll probably have to have another one soon. I've had another massive bleed since and having minor ones, too. Dr said to live with it as long as I can and let him know when I want another embolization :(

JenLeigh

I did have fever the day after my embolization along with an excruciating headache. I had a bronch bf the procedure, too. Dr. explained it was the bodies reaction to blood supply being cut off in that area. Other than that, and the huge groin bandage, it wasn't too bad. I'll probably have to have another one soon. I've had another massive bleed since and having minor ones, too. Dr said to live with it as long as I can and let him know when I want another embolization :(

Rtorres...I'm sorry you're having so many bleeding episodes again :-( I know how frustrating it is! May I ask how long after your embo did you had another bleed? I am hoping and praying that I do not have another for a looong time!

erock77

I've had 6 embolizations. Don't recall the fever, but do recall a bad time following it. My lungs felt strange, a little cold and slightly pained. My back hurt, probably from not being allowed to move my leg after the procedure. No bronch beforehand. I usually don't bleed for a little while afterwards, it varied with each (1-4 months), but always disappointing thinking it was stopped for good. For some people I hear it is permanent. My docs are very hesitant to do any more, as each embo depletes blood from a part of your lung which can then become dead tissue. I have a few bleeding prevention tips as a chronic bleeder. Vitamin K (mephyton), CFsource softgels (for the water soluble K), probiotics which aid in vit K absorption, and most recently tranexemic acid which slows clots from breaking down. I was used as a test case, and my docs have tried on a bunch of other bleeders and claim it's probably saved some lives. He's been passing the word to other CF docs too. PM me if you want a reference for your doctor.

erock77

I've had 6 embolizations. Don't recall the fever, but do recall a bad time following it. My lungs felt strange, a little cold and slightly pained. My back hurt, probably from not being allowed to move my leg after the procedure. No bronch beforehand. I usually don't bleed for a little while afterwards, it varied with each (1-4 months), but always disappointing thinking it was stopped for good. For some people I hear it is permanent. My docs are very hesitant to do any more, as each embo depletes blood from a part of your lung which can then become dead tissue.

I have a few bleeding prevention tips as a chronic bleeder. Vitamin K (mephyton), CFsource softgels (for the water soluble K), probiotics which aid in vit K absorption, and most recently tranexemic acid which slows clots from breaking down. I was used as a test case, and my docs have tried on a bunch of other bleeders and claim it's probably saved some lives. He's been passing the word to other CF docs too. PM me if you want a reference for your doctor.

rtorres25

Rtorres...I'm sorry you're having so many bleeding episodes again :-( I know how frustrating it is! May I ask how long after your embo did you had another bleed? I am hoping and praying that I do not have another for a looong time!
It was a year and a half before I had another massive bleed (more than 1 cup). I've had minor bleeds throughout that time. From my understanding, it is probably another artery that's bleeding this time. I've cut out all NSAIDS/Aspirin products and recently found out that fish oil is a blood thinner, so I cut that out, too. I took Alka Seltzer recently without thinking it had aspirin in it and hand a bleed a few days later. Currently, all have stopped :)

hunneebunnee

I had my first one last Thurs. after having 8 episodes of hemop within a couple months. They did a bronch the day before the embolization on an upper right artery. I was in so much pain/discomfort (tightness, heaviness, etc) in both my chest and back, as well as the groin site. I also kept spiking fevers everyday up until today, and I actually feel SO much better today. I read through a lot of other past posts pertaining to embolizations, and didn't read any that mentioned spiking fevers or that they had such awful pain and discomfort. I am wondering now if it had to do with the fact that I had the bronch and then the embo the next morning. Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Jen (who is sooooo happy to be feeling better...and NO bleeding!! :D )

I have had 3 embolizations in my right lung, and Every one of them has hurt, and given me fevers. Think of it like this, when you put a rubber band around the end of your finger it cuts of circulation and hurts. Right? same thing. I still have bleeding on occasion; but if its not more than a quarter cup in a few minutes I don't worry too much. I can no longer actually lay on my right side at all as it raises pressure in that lung and causes new bleeds. But other than that its all good

Joblazer86

I had one done years ago but no fever or pain. I was unable to use pulmozyne b/c it caused bleeding and was taking vit k to prevent future bleeds. I remember the vest would also cause me to bleed to so had to be careful about using it. Wasnt massive bleeds but streaks in the sputum.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

CyrilCrodius

I had a bilateral embolization in 2010. The bleedings greatly decreased right after and kept decreasing afterwards. I can't actually remember the last time I bled, which is great! I did not have any fever. Only some mild pain on the right side. I would have it done again if I needed it.

K

ksy8384

I just had an embolization done on Thursday and no bleeding since. I do however feel like crap. More pain at incision site and none in chest and since then the incision site has improved and my lungs are hurting worse. Generally I feel like crap. No fevers and no bronch before. I assume it's because of what they did and my lungs are now reacting to it. Hope I start to feel better soon.