forgetting insulin

M

megan6195

okay well my sleeping schedule is the absolute worst in the world (basically i go to sleep every 2 days in the middle of the day for like, 3 hours) and so i keep falling asleep and missing my insulin every other day and my mom isn't here to do it because she is usually at work and i just want to know what's going to happen to me if i miss it, my blood sugars are staying relatively normal mainly because i eat like, once a day IF THAT. i just want to make sure that nothing really bad is going to happen if i forget my insulin, i'm trying to get back on track... thank you guys!!

M

megan6195

okay well my sleeping schedule is the absolute worst in the world (basically i go to sleep every 2 days in the middle of the day for like, 3 hours) and so i keep falling asleep and missing my insulin every other day and my mom isn't here to do it because she is usually at work and i just want to know what's going to happen to me if i miss it, my blood sugars are staying relatively normal mainly because i eat like, once a day IF THAT. i just want to make sure that nothing really bad is going to happen if i forget my insulin, i'm trying to get back on track... thank you guys!!

M

megan6195

Liza

Well Megan, it depends on what type of insulin you are on, long acting like Levemir or Lantus or just the short acting like Humalog or Novalog? What time of day do you take your long acting if you are on a long acting? Perhaps this can be adjusted.

It's hard to say what could happen. If your numbers are fairly normal, then that is a good thing. There are alot of factors involved. Persistantly high glucoses will have an effect on your overall health from your eyesite to your kidneys. How are they when you eat regularly? High, difficult or easy to manage?

Have you discussed this with your endocrine doc?

One thing to consider is that school will be starting back up within the next week or two so you should be on a better sleeping schedule. Provided you live in the US and are not homeschooled.

Sorry, I couldn't offer more help.

Liza

Well Megan, it depends on what type of insulin you are on, long acting like Levemir or Lantus or just the short acting like Humalog or Novalog? What time of day do you take your long acting if you are on a long acting? Perhaps this can be adjusted.

It's hard to say what could happen. If your numbers are fairly normal, then that is a good thing. There are alot of factors involved. Persistantly high glucoses will have an effect on your overall health from your eyesite to your kidneys. How are they when you eat regularly? High, difficult or easy to manage?

Have you discussed this with your endocrine doc?

One thing to consider is that school will be starting back up within the next week or two so you should be on a better sleeping schedule. Provided you live in the US and are not homeschooled.

Sorry, I couldn't offer more help.

Liza

<br />
<br />It's hard to say what could happen. If your numbers are fairly normal, then that is a good thing. There are alot of factors involved. Persistantly high glucoses will have an effect on your overall health from your eyesite to your kidneys. How are they when you eat regularly? High, difficult or easy to manage?
<br />
<br />Have you discussed this with your endocrine doc?
<br />
<br />One thing to consider is that school will be starting back up within the next week or two so you should be on a better sleeping schedule. Provided you live in the US and are not homeschooled.
<br />
<br />Sorry, I couldn't offer more help.

M

megan6195

i do take levimir and humalog (when needed) and i take levimir at 12 pm

when i eat more than once a day, i tend to have higher blood sugar.

no i have not, i actually have not seen my endo since i got out of the hospital 3 weeks ago.

and, i am homeschooled so... i'm kind of just screwed at this point, lol. xD
but i mainly can't sleep because i got taken off of ambien, but that's a whole different story lol.

M

megan6195

when i eat more than once a day, i tend to have higher blood sugar.

no i have not, i actually have not seen my endo since i got out of the hospital 3 weeks ago.

and, i am homeschooled so... i'm kind of just screwed at this point, lol. xD
but i mainly can't sleep because i got taken off of ambien, but that's a whole different story lol.

M

megan6195

<br />
<br />when i eat more than once a day, i tend to have higher blood sugar.
<br />
<br />no i have not, i actually have not seen my endo since i got out of the hospital 3 weeks ago.
<br />
<br />and, i am homeschooled so... i'm kind of just screwed at this point, lol. xD
<br />but i mainly can't sleep because i got taken off of ambien, but that's a whole different story lol.

cfstinabug

Is there anyway you can talk to your doctor about getting an insulin pump? It helps a LOT! I got my pump 6 months after being diagnosed with CFRD. In the long run, it's not good to keep forgetting to take your insulin because over time it can damage your body, esp kidneys, vision, etc. You also don't want to get too high of blood sugars because you could get ketones and that's dangerous. Just make sure you test your blood sugar A LOT.

cfstinabug

Is there anyway you can talk to your doctor about getting an insulin pump? It helps a LOT! I got my pump 6 months after being diagnosed with CFRD. In the long run, it's not good to keep forgetting to take your insulin because over time it can damage your body, esp kidneys, vision, etc. You also don't want to get too high of blood sugars because you could get ketones and that's dangerous. Just make sure you test your blood sugar A LOT.

cfstinabug