Frustrated

T

TonyaH

I think at this point I would talk to the doctor about doing a bronchoscopy. I am assuming the cultures were taken from a throat swab? One thing you will learn is that throat swabs are the least conclusive test you can have. When a child can cough up sputum, that is better. Bronchoscopy is best, as samples are taken from inside the lung. Even then, depending upon what area of the lung is tested, bacteria/fungi can be missed.

Hypertonic does seem to be my son's wonder drug. It might not be a bad idea to mention that. But even so, there is obviously still infection that is not being treated. So, it needs to be diagnosed and treated correctly. I would push for a bronch. 14% is a huge drop, and should have your doctor concerned. That along with weight loss...

Also, another thing to remember is that lungs can sound okay,,even with infection. My son's lungs always sound great..even when he's in the hospital for an exacerbation!

Follow your instinct. It sounds like you have questions. Don't be afraid to advocate for your child. I think doctors respect parents who are knowledgeable and take an active roll in treatment.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

T

TonyaH

I think at this point I would talk to the doctor about doing a bronchoscopy. I am assuming the cultures were taken from a throat swab? One thing you will learn is that throat swabs are the least conclusive test you can have. When a child can cough up sputum, that is better. Bronchoscopy is best, as samples are taken from inside the lung. Even then, depending upon what area of the lung is tested, bacteria/fungi can be missed.

Hypertonic does seem to be my son's wonder drug. It might not be a bad idea to mention that. But even so, there is obviously still infection that is not being treated. So, it needs to be diagnosed and treated correctly. I would push for a bronch. 14% is a huge drop, and should have your doctor concerned. That along with weight loss...

Also, another thing to remember is that lungs can sound okay,,even with infection. My son's lungs always sound great..even when he's in the hospital for an exacerbation!

Follow your instinct. It sounds like you have questions. Don't be afraid to advocate for your child. I think doctors respect parents who are knowledgeable and take an active roll in treatment.

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />Hypertonic does seem to be my son's wonder drug. It might not be a bad idea to mention that. But even so, there is obviously still infection that is not being treated. So, it needs to be diagnosed and treated correctly. I would push for a bronch. 14% is a huge drop, and should have your doctor concerned. That along with weight loss...
<br />
<br />Also, another thing to remember is that lungs can sound okay,,even with infection. My son's lungs always sound great..even when he's in the hospital for an exacerbation!
<br />
<br />Follow your instinct. It sounds like you have questions. Don't be afraid to advocate for your child. I think doctors respect parents who are knowledgeable and take an active roll in treatment.
<br />
<br />Good luck, and please keep us posted!