Frustrated!

marisalynn

I know that many women on here share my frustration on this, but my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months now, and we have had no luck. I have been taking Mucinex twice a day for a couple of cycles. I still can't tell when I am ovulating. I am wondering with other women who have needed assistance getting pregnant, whether IUI or IVF, or just medications, I am wondering how long after you started ttc did you elicit these other options. Thank you for any input!
Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

marisalynn

I know that many women on here share my frustration on this, but my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months now, and we have had no luck. I have been taking Mucinex twice a day for a couple of cycles. I still can't tell when I am ovulating. I am wondering with other women who have needed assistance getting pregnant, whether IUI or IVF, or just medications, I am wondering how long after you started ttc did you elicit these other options. Thank you for any input!
Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

point

Hi Marissa,

My husband and I waited until we had been trying for 12 mo's to set up an appt. I actually called as we were going into our 12 mo so our first appt was basically in our 12th month. If you are under 35 years old, in the U.S., they usually recommend ttc for 12 months before making an appt. Are you seeing an OBGYN annually? You could speak w/ them now about it, and they would maybe try to do some basic blood work. It is very frustrating and tiring. Some CF women get pregnant fairly quickly, and for others it is difficult requiring IUI or IVF. Have you tried using ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) to ID when you are ovulating or taking your temperature (BBT)? If not, maybe start there first, but perhaps you already are doing those as well. Good luck & take care - -

point

Hi Marissa,

My husband and I waited until we had been trying for 12 mo's to set up an appt. I actually called as we were going into our 12 mo so our first appt was basically in our 12th month. If you are under 35 years old, in the U.S., they usually recommend ttc for 12 months before making an appt. Are you seeing an OBGYN annually? You could speak w/ them now about it, and they would maybe try to do some basic blood work. It is very frustrating and tiring. Some CF women get pregnant fairly quickly, and for others it is difficult requiring IUI or IVF. Have you tried using ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) to ID when you are ovulating or taking your temperature (BBT)? If not, maybe start there first, but perhaps you already are doing those as well. Good luck & take care - -

point

Hi Marissa,
<br />
<br />My husband and I waited until we had been trying for 12 mo's to set up an appt. I actually called as we were going into our 12 mo so our first appt was basically in our 12th month. If you are under 35 years old, in the U.S., they usually recommend ttc for 12 months before making an appt. Are you seeing an OBGYN annually? You could speak w/ them now about it, and they would maybe try to do some basic blood work. It is very frustrating and tiring. Some CF women get pregnant fairly quickly, and for others it is difficult requiring IUI or IVF. Have you tried using ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) to ID when you are ovulating or taking your temperature (BBT)? If not, maybe start there first, but perhaps you already are doing those as well. Good luck & take care - -

starstellar

I account my getting pregnant to the cherrytussin cough syrup with codeine. It was the first time I had ever used it and I was sexually active with no birth control. I found out I was pregnant a month after taking the syrup. I don't suggest drinking a bottle of syrup and having sex but you might want to ask your doctor if it has a mucus thinning affect.

starstellar

I account my getting pregnant to the cherrytussin cough syrup with codeine. It was the first time I had ever used it and I was sexually active with no birth control. I found out I was pregnant a month after taking the syrup. I don't suggest drinking a bottle of syrup and having sex but you might want to ask your doctor if it has a mucus thinning affect.

starstellar

marisalynn

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, Christina, I saw my OBGYN about 6 months ago when I started thinking about ttc. She completely supported it, along with my CF doctor. She told me at the time to just start trying and, as you said, if I didn't get pregnant in a year, we could start doing interventions. She also said, however, that since I have CF, if I wanted to call after 6 months, that is understandable. I am starting to think about it, but I want to do at least one more cycle before that. I haven't used OPK's yet, but I am going to try them this cycle.
Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

marisalynn

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, Christina, I saw my OBGYN about 6 months ago when I started thinking about ttc. She completely supported it, along with my CF doctor. She told me at the time to just start trying and, as you said, if I didn't get pregnant in a year, we could start doing interventions. She also said, however, that since I have CF, if I wanted to call after 6 months, that is understandable. I am starting to think about it, but I want to do at least one more cycle before that. I haven't used OPK's yet, but I am going to try them this cycle.
Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Marisa RN, 22 w/CF

LouLou

My lung function was 67%, 27 yrs old, and my doctor only wanted to give me 6 months to conceive before moving on to getting help. He also mentioned in the same conversation that he would not support me in a decision to carry more than one child...with or without fertility help. He noted that with fertility help I was more likely to have multiples and would therefore need to do selective reduction. I heard all of this while I was off the pill and using natural family planning to avoid pregnancy. Once I felt I knew my cycles backwards and forwards I bought an OPK to confirm. Then the next month I turned the tables from avoiding pregnancy to tryign to get pregnant and got pregnant the first month. I read books on it and also used fertilityfriend.com.

LouLou

My lung function was 67%, 27 yrs old, and my doctor only wanted to give me 6 months to conceive before moving on to getting help. He also mentioned in the same conversation that he would not support me in a decision to carry more than one child...with or without fertility help. He noted that with fertility help I was more likely to have multiples and would therefore need to do selective reduction. I heard all of this while I was off the pill and using natural family planning to avoid pregnancy. Once I felt I knew my cycles backwards and forwards I bought an OPK to confirm. Then the next month I turned the tables from avoiding pregnancy to tryign to get pregnant and got pregnant the first month. I read books on it and also used fertilityfriend.com.

LouLou

marisalynn

LouLou, thanks for your reply, and I am wondering if you also used basal body temp to track ovulation? I tried for a couple of months, and got frustrated with it, because my temp seemed to be all over the map, and I couldn't find a pattern. Thanks.
Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

LouLou, thanks for your reply, and I am wondering if you also used basal body temp to track ovulation? I tried for a couple of months, and got frustrated with it, because my temp seemed to be all over the map, and I couldn't find a pattern. Thanks.
Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Marisa RN, 22w/CF