G-tube and insomnia

theLostMiler

I am starting to think that getting food overnight is giving me some extra energy... after I got the g-tube and starting using it it took about about 1-2 weeks but suddenly I would be up all night or at least till 2 but most of the time 3-6 am.

I stopped for about 3 weeks, during a time I was waiting for actual feedings and not scandishakes and waiting until I got the tube changed out. During that time I maintained and enjoyed a regular sleep schedule. Sleeping well, and deep throughout the night.

I started up the tube feedings about 2 weeks ago and the past 4-5 days again I am struggling to get to bed by 2 am... it started out 12:30 then a couple nights of 2-2:30ish, last night it was 3 am and right now it is 1:14 and I still think I'll be up till at least 2am...

anyone else have anything like this happen? Or is it just stress coincidently occuring with the tube feedings...

Thanks for any idea or experiences in advance!

theLostMiler

I am starting to think that getting food overnight is giving me some extra energy... after I got the g-tube and starting using it it took about about 1-2 weeks but suddenly I would be up all night or at least till 2 but most of the time 3-6 am.

I stopped for about 3 weeks, during a time I was waiting for actual feedings and not scandishakes and waiting until I got the tube changed out. During that time I maintained and enjoyed a regular sleep schedule. Sleeping well, and deep throughout the night.

I started up the tube feedings about 2 weeks ago and the past 4-5 days again I am struggling to get to bed by 2 am... it started out 12:30 then a couple nights of 2-2:30ish, last night it was 3 am and right now it is 1:14 and I still think I'll be up till at least 2am...

anyone else have anything like this happen? Or is it just stress coincidently occuring with the tube feedings...

Thanks for any idea or experiences in advance!

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I stopped for about 3 weeks, during a time I was waiting for actual feedings and not scandishakes and waiting until I got the tube changed out. During that time I maintained and enjoyed a regular sleep schedule. Sleeping well, and deep throughout the night.
<br />
<br />I started up the tube feedings about 2 weeks ago and the past 4-5 days again I am struggling to get to bed by 2 am... it started out 12:30 then a couple nights of 2-2:30ish, last night it was 3 am and right now it is 1:14 and I still think I'll be up till at least 2am...
<br />
<br />anyone else have anything like this happen? Or is it just stress coincidently occuring with the tube feedings...
<br />
<br />Thanks for any idea or experiences in advance!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We've looked into that possiblity with Josh too. He rarely sleeps through the night and has awful night sweats. It seems that the g-tube feeds are not the cause, althought (like Amy suggested) reflux could be the cause.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but it is something we've thought about too.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We've looked into that possiblity with Josh too. He rarely sleeps through the night and has awful night sweats. It seems that the g-tube feeds are not the cause, althought (like Amy suggested) reflux could be the cause.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but it is something we've thought about too.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but it is something we've thought about too.

hockeykid

I was wondering if you start your feeds at the same time each night. I find if I start feeding at all crazy times of the night, I have trouble sleeping. I also find being filled up with formula does not make it easy to sleep either. I found starting my feedings around the same time each night has helped my sleeping pattern. Good Luck!

hockeykid

I was wondering if you start your feeds at the same time each night. I find if I start feeding at all crazy times of the night, I have trouble sleeping. I also find being filled up with formula does not make it easy to sleep either. I found starting my feedings around the same time each night has helped my sleeping pattern. Good Luck!

hockeykid

theLostMiler

Yea, I have been hooking up whenever I hit the hay, so between 2:30 and 3 most nights but then I'll have some early nights in everyonce in a while too. I will try to hook up at the same time and see if that helps, I think it will for me.

For me its like I can be dead exhausted until anywhere from 5-9 pm... then as soon as a certain time rolls around, its like I am wide awake, I have all this energy. I end up doing a lot of cleaning which makes it even harder to "slow" down b/c Im building up adrenaline in a way.

My whole life I've been a night owl, but its just gotten worse the past 2 months with the tube.

Jane, thanks for answering. Amy as in Saveferris? I didnt search the topic before posting this, are you referring to another post haha. I only get the night sweats when on certain antibiotics or am sick b/c I have fevers daily. I hate waking up drenched, I am sorry that Josh has to deal with that all the time.

HockeyKid, do you tend to feel your best at night? I know on cysticlife there was a question about other CF'ers liking the night more. And in general the answer was yes.

Although, I love a good sunrise. My favorite thing in the summer is going out on my porch with coffee and my mom (or whoever is up) and talking while the sun is coming up and the dew is evaporating.

theLostMiler

Yea, I have been hooking up whenever I hit the hay, so between 2:30 and 3 most nights but then I'll have some early nights in everyonce in a while too. I will try to hook up at the same time and see if that helps, I think it will for me.

For me its like I can be dead exhausted until anywhere from 5-9 pm... then as soon as a certain time rolls around, its like I am wide awake, I have all this energy. I end up doing a lot of cleaning which makes it even harder to "slow" down b/c Im building up adrenaline in a way.

My whole life I've been a night owl, but its just gotten worse the past 2 months with the tube.

Jane, thanks for answering. Amy as in Saveferris? I didnt search the topic before posting this, are you referring to another post haha. I only get the night sweats when on certain antibiotics or am sick b/c I have fevers daily. I hate waking up drenched, I am sorry that Josh has to deal with that all the time.

HockeyKid, do you tend to feel your best at night? I know on cysticlife there was a question about other CF'ers liking the night more. And in general the answer was yes.

Although, I love a good sunrise. My favorite thing in the summer is going out on my porch with coffee and my mom (or whoever is up) and talking while the sun is coming up and the dew is evaporating.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />For me its like I can be dead exhausted until anywhere from 5-9 pm... then as soon as a certain time rolls around, its like I am wide awake, I have all this energy. I end up doing a lot of cleaning which makes it even harder to "slow" down b/c Im building up adrenaline in a way.
<br />
<br />My whole life I've been a night owl, but its just gotten worse the past 2 months with the tube.
<br />
<br />Jane, thanks for answering. Amy as in Saveferris? I didnt search the topic before posting this, are you referring to another post haha. I only get the night sweats when on certain antibiotics or am sick b/c I have fevers daily. I hate waking up drenched, I am sorry that Josh has to deal with that all the time.
<br />
<br />HockeyKid, do you tend to feel your best at night? I know on cysticlife there was a question about other CF'ers liking the night more. And in general the answer was yes.
<br />
<br />Although, I love a good sunrise. My favorite thing in the summer is going out on my porch with coffee and my mom (or whoever is up) and talking while the sun is coming up and the dew is evaporating.

hockeykid

Hi theLostMiller!
I would definately have to say I feel best at night. I seem to get a burst of energy then especially from the extra nutrition. I hope I answered your question. If not, please let me know.

hockeykid

Hi theLostMiller!
I would definately have to say I feel best at night. I seem to get a burst of energy then especially from the extra nutrition. I hope I answered your question. If not, please let me know.

hockeykid

Hi theLostMiller!
<br />I would definately have to say I feel best at night. I seem to get a burst of energy then especially from the extra nutrition. I hope I answered your question. If not, please let me know.

bnavarro04

I have had my G-tube for about 4yrs and in the beginning I was fine. But for the past year in half I have a thing about hooking up if am not sleepy, I can't cause i feel so anxious. I hate just laying in bed being hooked up i can't do it, so i will wait and wait till am very tired and sleep is stronger. Which can be till 2or 3am, and in the morning i pay for it cause i am very tired. Even though am tired after working and going to school and feel that am tired. If i dont have a feeding i can get to sleep early and not have a problem. My doctor gave meds to help me fall asleep but I stop taking cause I would sleep to much. I hate going thru this everynight cause I feel my body now really depends on the feeding. It also started to wear me out. recently i have been ok cause i have been able to do feeding since i had gallbladder removed but am about to start up again and need to adjust and get to bed early. I thought I was the only with a problem.

bnavarro04

I have had my G-tube for about 4yrs and in the beginning I was fine. But for the past year in half I have a thing about hooking up if am not sleepy, I can't cause i feel so anxious. I hate just laying in bed being hooked up i can't do it, so i will wait and wait till am very tired and sleep is stronger. Which can be till 2or 3am, and in the morning i pay for it cause i am very tired. Even though am tired after working and going to school and feel that am tired. If i dont have a feeding i can get to sleep early and not have a problem. My doctor gave meds to help me fall asleep but I stop taking cause I would sleep to much. I hate going thru this everynight cause I feel my body now really depends on the feeding. It also started to wear me out. recently i have been ok cause i have been able to do feeding since i had gallbladder removed but am about to start up again and need to adjust and get to bed early. I thought I was the only with a problem.